Indiana Most Represented State in Big Ten Finals!

Having seen Angel, Hump and Howe all in the finals, I got to thinking about how we stacked up against other states in representation. I did a bit of research and here are the results: State-# of Finalists

IN-3

IL-2

NJ-2

PA-2

FL-1

MI-1

VA-1

CA-1

IA-1

OH-1

UT-1

MT-1

WI-1

ID-1

MN-1

Obviously, the distribution is spread pretty even throughout the country with 15 states represented. In addition, this is definitely not the best indicator of state strength within the Big 10 as total participants or place winners by state would probably provide a bit better statistic, but would also be labor intensive to gather. Overall, CONGRATS to Angel, Hump and Howe!! You are to be commended for the manner in which you have represented Indiana wrestling in the national spotlight.

In addition to my first post on this topic, Indiana was the ONLY state to have multiple Champions!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope I don't get this topic banned by asking this, but isn't the high school Howe attended a small school?  Pretty impressive for any freshman to win a Big 10 championship period, but with all the insurmountable negatives a small school athlete in Indiana faces makes it just absolutely incredible.  The way I think the reasoning goes, he should not have been allowed to go D1.

Hope I don't get this topic banned by asking this, but isn't the high school Howe attended a small school?  Pretty impressive for any freshman to win a Big 10 championship period, but with all the insurmountable negatives a small school athlete in Indiana faces makes it just absolutely incredible.  The way I think the reasoning goes, he should not have been allowed to go D1.

A small school within driving distance to Overtime helps a bit.

It does, and I think they make kids from small schools drive horse and buggies or walk without shoes if they want to practice with someone outside their district.  Lucky kid.

So you can name one frickin kid from a small school that has had success.  Why aren't there more?  Tell me why there aren't thousands of kids in Indiana at the collegiate level from schools of 600 students.  I'm curious to know the answer, because I have no clue why there aren't more.

It does, and I think they make kids from small schools drive horse and buggies or walk without shoes if they want to practice with someone outside their district.  Lucky kid.

So you can name one frickin kid from a small school that has had success.  Why aren't there more?  Tell me why there aren't thousands of kids in Indiana at the collegiate level from schools of 600 students.  I'm curious to know the answer, because I have no clue why there aren't more.

Calm down and have some of the ice cream you brought home from Happy Valley

All schools are within driving distance of somewhere to train.  It is a matter of the desire to spend the time to make yourself better.  I'm sure the reponse will be that there isn't time because of another sport.  Blah....Blah...Blah ...it's a matter of choice that each athlete has to make.

All schools are within driving distance of somewhere to train.  It is a matter of the desire to spend the time to make yourself better.  I'm sure the reponse will be that there isn't time because of another sport.  Blah....Blah...Blah ...it's a matter of choice that each athlete has to make.

Ohh, so now small kids already think they are good enough and don't want to get better.  BLAH BLAH BLAH, great one, its about as good as small school kids and coaches don't work hard enough.

Calm down and have some of the ice cream you brought home from Happy Valley

Mmmmm peanut butter cup

Ohh, so now small kids already think they are good enough and don't want to get better.  BLAH BLAH BLAH, great one, its about as good as small school kids and coaches don't work hard enough.

Not what I was saying.  I didn't mean to say small school kids think they are already good enough.  I am saying that any kid that wants to get better needs to find a place to train during the off season if they want to get better.  If they choose to participate in another sport instead of finding a place to continue wrestling training, then they can expect to not make big improvements.  It's a matter of choice.

Hope I don't get this topic banned by asking this, but isn't the high school Howe attended a small school? Pretty impressive for any freshman to win a Big 10 championship period, but with all the insurmountable negatives a small school athlete in Indiana faces makes it just absolutely incredible. The way I think the reasoning goes, he should not have been allowed to go D1.

All schools are within driving distance of somewhere to train. It is a matter of the desire to spend the time to make yourself better. I'm sure the reponse will be that there isn't time because of another sport. Blah....Blah...Blah ...it's a matter of choice that each athlete has to make.

Ohh, so now small kids already think they are good enough and don't want to get better. BLAH BLAH BLAH, great one, its about as good as small school kids and coaches don't work hard enough.

Not what I was saying. I didn't mean to say small school kids think they are already good enough. I am saying that any kid that wants to get better needs to find a place to train during the off season if they want to get better. If they choose to participate in another sport instead of finding a place to continue wrestling training, then they can expect to not make big improvements. It's a matter of choice.

So kids that play baseball or run track in the spring don't want to be better wrestlers? Kids that play football in the fall are just fine with being average wrestlers. Is that what you are saying?

If you are, I guess your son just wants to be average since he plays football. Make sure you tell him that tonight when he gets home. I'm sure he'll appreciate that statement. 

On top of that, I probably should just horde the wrestlers and not let them play any other sports.  Who cares about how the other sports do at the school, I should only care about one.  I sure hope that you can convince all those small school coaches that coach football and wrestling to do the same!

imo he is phenom. he has super god given talent and has choosen to put in the extra work. he said he has wrestled the off season for a while,  he said in his talk after the finals. his parent s have obviously given him the support to be able to go to where he has to make him better also. thay are to be comended as well. not everyone has both. i am sure almost all athletes work hard but , not all have his talent to begin with. i am looking forward to the ncaa's to se ow he does there. best of luck andrew!!

Having seen Angel, Hump and Howe all in the finals, I got to thinking about how we stacked up against other states in representation. I did a bit of research and here are the results: State-# of Finalists

IN-3

IL-2

NJ-2

PA-2

FL-1

MI-1

VA-1

CA-1

IA-1

OH-1

UT-1

MT-1

WI-1

ID-1

MN-1

Obviously, the distribution is spread pretty even throughout the country with 15 states represented. In addition, this is definitely not the best indicator of state strength within the Big 10 as total participants or place winners by state would probably provide a bit better statistic, but would also be labor intensive to gather. Overall, CONGRATS to Angel, Hump and Howe!! You are to be commended for the manner in which you have represented Indiana wrestling in the national spotlight.

In addition to my first post on this topic, Indiana was the ONLY state to have multiple Champions!

Funny, I don't see anything mentioned here about class wrestling.

Ha ha but the fact he is the quality of wrestler he is has more to do with the access to that club then the size of school he goes to.

IN-3

IL-2

NJ-2

PA-2

FL-1

MI-1

VA-1

CA-1

IA-1

OH-1

UT-1

MT-1

WI-1

ID-1

MN-1

I do

Not what I was saying.  I didn't mean to say small school kids think they are already good enough.  I am saying that any kid that wants to get better needs to find a place to train during the off season if they want to get better.  If they choose to participate in another sport instead of finding a place to continue wrestling training, then they can expect to not make big improvements.  It's a matter of choice.

So kids that play baseball or run track in the spring don't want to be better wrestlers?  Kids that play football in the fall are just fine with being average wrestlers.  Is that what you are saying?

If you are, I guess your son just wants to be average since he plays football.  Make sure you tell him that tonight when he gets home.  I'm sure he'll appreciate that statement.

Ashton gave up football last fall because he wanted to focus on his wrestling.  He decided that he was only going to be an average football player at best and had the potential to be a very good wrestler.  So he made the decision to train for wrestling all year with taking a short break late in the summer.  It was a matter of choice.  All kids must make a choice that is best for them.

If you do what you always did you can expect to get what you always got.

IN-3

IL-2

NJ-2

PA-2

FL-1

MI-1

VA-1

CA-1

IA-1

OH-1

UT-1

MT-1

WI-1

ID-1

MN-1

Indiana must be the best wrestling state in the nation!  All hail Indiana as the best wrestling state!

IN-3

IL-2

NJ-2

PA-2

FL-1

MI-1

VA-1

CA-1

IA-1

OH-1

UT-1

MT-1

WI-1

ID-1

MN-1

Couldn't agree more.  How about just being happy with the fact that IN was well represented at the Big 10 Tourney.  Let's not turn this into a class debate.  It's about the fact that IN is producing some pretty talented individuals at the highest level of collegiate wrestling

Ashton gave up football last fall because he wanted to focus on his wrestling.  He decided that he was only going to be an average football player at best and had the potential to be a very good wrestler.  So he made the decision to train for wrestling all year with taking a short break late in the summer.  It was a matter of choice.  All kids must make a choice that is best for them.

If you do what you always did you can expect to get what you always got.

What did the football team lose, say a special teamer?

Ok, now lets say the four semi-state wrestlers I have don't play football this year and lets see what they would lose.  Two starting defensive backs, two starting linebackers on defense.  Starting fullback, running back and wide receiver on offense.  So the football team would lose 4 starters from defense and three from offense if those kids didn' t play football.  

So now lets say as a coach I persuade these kids to give up football.  Do you think the football coach will do the same for the kids that are wrestlers or will he continue to encourage the football players to wrestle?  The same goes for other sports too.  At a small school you cannot afford to horde athletes in just one sport.  

IN-3

IL-2

NJ-2

PA-2

FL-1

MI-1

VA-1

CA-1

IA-1

OH-1

UT-1

MT-1

WI-1

ID-1

MN-1

Indiana must be the best wrestling state in the nation!  All hail Indiana as the best wrestling state!

It's not the best wrestling state in the nation but it is improving!

Absolutely! The point of making the original post was to commend the Indiana born Big 10 wrestlers much deserved credit.

As for the statement made about "all hail IN/being the best state...." I stated the limitations in my observation at the end! It was a bit of a disclaimer if you will.

Come on Y2! I was a small school wrestler that played three sports. I was an above average wrestler, but chose to focus on baseball. We all know that in regards to most every high school athlete, more practice/attention in a given sport will give rise to improvement in that sport. Had I wrestled more than just from Oct. to Feb. I probably would have progressed further in the tournament and been more successful overall! You're bending things people are saying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.