Mass Emailing from Blake Ress Concerning House Bill 1733 UPDATE!!

Insanoflex

UPDATE

From the South Bend Tribune:

Niezgodski abandons effort to replace IHSAA

Associated Press Report

INDIANAPOLIS ? A state lawmaker has abandoned a bill that would have effectively eliminated the Indiana High School Athletic Association.

Democratic Rep. David Niezgodski of South Bend was upset with how the IHSAA has handled the eligibility case of female high school basketball player who moved from Elkhart Memorial High School to Washington High School in South Bend.

Niezgodski's bill would have replaced the IHSAA with a board under the state Department of Education.

He says he withdrew his bill Wednesday because the IHSAA had lined up several lawmakers to oppose it. But he says he still made a statement that the IHSAA was an arrogant organization.

The IHSAA has said the bill wasn't justified.

End of Update

I was just forwarded this by my AD, so I thought I'd cut-and-paste it here for those who may be interested.

This was a hotly debated topic on an earlier thread, but the phrase "better the devil you know. . ." comes to mind.

The email:

To:       IHSAA Member School Principals & Athletic Directors

Re:       House Bill 1733 Proposed Amendment

Date:    February 23, 2009

On Wednesday, February 18 the House Education Committee met to discuss several bills.  Representative David Niezgodski (D) presented a proposed amendment for House Bill 1733 that would in essence eliminate the Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.  The bill proposes to create a Division of Interscholastic Athletics within the Department of Education that would be responsible for the athletic programs in Indiana.

Rep. Niezgodski made no secret of the fact that the impetus behind his proposal is an eligibility case that the Association has been fighting in St. Joseph County.  He also accuses the IHSAA of being a bureaucracy that is not responsible to anyone.  Of course, that is blatantly untrue; we are responsible to you, our member schools.  The wording in his proposed amendment is troublesome and very similar to a bill that was introduced in the late 1990?s shortly after the IHSAA approved classes in team sports.

This issue arose suddenly.  In fact, the lobbyist for the Association first got word of it late the day before the committee meeting.  Usually, committee meetings are used to discuss proposed legislation and to allow those for and against a particular bill to air their feelings.  I cleared my calendar in order to testify before the Education Committee and, as you might expect, my testimony was in direct contrast to that of Rep. Niezgodski.  The crux of the matter is that it passed out of committee by a 7-5 vote that was not entirely along party lines.

It appears that several legislators from South Bend, including the Speaker, Rep. Patrick Bauer, are supporting the legislation.  With such support, one can conclude that there is considerable leverage in the House to pass this bill.

I am contacting you for several reasons.  Certainly, you should be aware of what is going on regarding your Association.  There is also concern about the negative impact this could have on high school athletics and, therefore, we are requesting action on your part.  It is very important that you communicate with your legislators and express your opinion on this proposed legislation.  If you personally know any state representatives or senators, personal contact or a phone call is better than an email.  However, an email is better than no action at all.  Obviously, I hope that you concur with me that politics should not be introduced into high school athletic programs in Indiana.  If you would like to discuss this matter in more detail, you may contact me at your convenience.     

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a funny feeling that the Mishawaka wrestling eligibility case (IHSAA not fighting) when compared to SB washington basketball eligibility case (IHSAA still fighting) might be a factor in our state legislators displeasure with the IHSAA.

I have a funny feeling that the Mishawaka wrestling eligibility case (IHSAA not fighting) when compared to SB washington basketball eligibility case (IHSAA still fighting) might be a factor in our state legislators displeasure with the IHSAA.

I agree with you they basically are maintaining they can have their cake and eat it too. I have a feeling the IHSAA is in trouble and this bill has an excellent chance of passing. Really they have no one to blame but themselves, they've created their own little governmental dictatorship.

If you are going to govern anything you must maintain fair and equitable treatment for all.

Excerpt taken from a wndu.com article:

Under the bill, the division of interscholastic athletics would be governed by a nine-member board of directors appointed by the state Superintendent of Public Instruction.

"This board would regulate, supervise and administer all interscholastic athletic programs, and establish standards for eligibility, competition and sportsmanship while providing protection against the exploitation of schools or students," Niezgodski said.

"In short, it would do everything the IHSAA does now, except with a level of oversight and accountability that is missing today."

If the bill, which now advances to the full House, becomes law, state control of high school athletics would take place on July 1.

I didn't understand this when I saw it being talked about on here (the Mish thing).  Could someone nutshell explain this?

Mishawaka wrestler wrestled last year for the full season.  This year someone sent pictures and video of the wrestler living in a different school district to the IHSAA.  The IHSAA declared him ineligible for this year.  They appealed it and won and he went on to finish 7th in the state.

wrestle backs yes but no class wrestling.... i don't think that's the concern here.  I think they are trying to hold on to a JOB.  I'd like to find out the details of this bill and some info on what would happen if it does pass.  I'd like to take a stance. 

I didn't understand this when I saw it being talked about on here (the Mish thing).  Could someone nutshell explain this?

I think there is a "perceived" double standard by the state legislature.

Mishawaka wrestler wrestled last year for the full season.  This year someone sent pictures and video of the wrestler living in a different school district to the IHSAA.  The IHSAA declared him ineligible for this year.  They appealed it and won and he went on to finish 7th in the state.

According to Bobby Cox, your not allowed to send videos or pics to their office because there would be barrage of videos and pics being sent in by parents and coaches.  That's is how he responded to me on a different case not for eligibilty reasons.  Wierd? ???

So what does that make me?  A discreditable source...

Maybe a supraintraunmetareputable source.  Further reason for some folks unhappiness with the IHSAA.  In the mishawaka case they clearly used video/photographic evidence to make a decision but according to you (and I have no reason not to believe what you said), they don't want people to send evidence of potential rules violations.

Obviously, I hope that you concur with me that politics should not be introduced into high school athletic programs in Indiana.      [/color]

This is my favorite line from Mr. Ress!  It's down near the very bottom of his message.  If this legislation does not pass, who wants to be in charge of holding him to his word?!?!

Obviously, I hope that you concur with me that politics should not be introduced into high school athletic programs in Indiana.      [/color]

This is my favorite line from Mr. Ress!  It's down near the very bottom of his message.  If this legislation does not pass, who wants to be in charge of holding him to his word?!?!

I noticed that too and got a lil chuckle out of it.

So what does that make me?  A discreditable source...

Maybe a supraintraunmetareputable source.  Further reason for some folks unhappiness with the IHSAA.  In the mishawaka case they clearly used video/photographic evidence to make a decision but according to you (and I have no reason not to believe what you said), they don't want people to send evidence of potential rules violations.

Yeah I follow you.  I do not want to get into details, but I do believe the IHSAA is a bureaucracy at times.  However, is it so bad we need to demolish the organization?  Don't know....  That is why I would like more information.

I do not see how he calls it a bureaucracy since a bureaucracy is a division of the government.  Bureaucracies are an arm of the Executive Branch so in this case the Gov. (Mitch Daniels)  They could put the oversight into the IHSAA with out completing destroying it.  I see this bill as being more of a problem then the IHSAA can be.  I think we need to ban together and support the IHSAA.  This is one Rep. that is upset over a ruling made by the IHSAA.  Does that mean officials should come together have a bill created by a rep to force the IHSAA to pay us more for the tourn. series?  I just see more problems coming from this then good

I love wrestling and hate that the IHSAA keeps voting down proposals that will help our sport as much as anyone here.  However, I think our state govt. has more important things to do than take up time with this.  I'd much rather see them tackling property taxes, education funding, jobs, etc., than high school sports.

I love wrestling and hate that the IHSAA keeps voting down proposals that will help our sport as much as anyone here.  However, I think our state govt. has more important things to do than take up time with this.  I'd much rather see them tackling property taxes, education funding, jobs, etc., than high school sports.

Amen !!

However, I think our state govt. has more important things to do than take up time with this.

Well, the federal government is taking unnecessary time and funding away from more pressing national issues, such as the unemployment rate and jump-starting the economy, to continually investigate steroids in major league baseball, so why should we expect our state not to follow a misguided example set by Uncle Sam?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.