college signings?

crab ride 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe we dont have more than those guys listed as college signings. there has to be more going on to wrestle in college. Chalfant, wedding, clark, richey...etc...

The Evansville newspaper mentioned today that Tanner Wedding was going to Unversity of Kentucky.  Who knew he played basketball!

;D

One of the boards had a link to a nice article about Matt Todd being undefeated heading into the State Finals. I couldn't believe  what I read when it said it could be his last match ever.That was in reference to him having no offers to wrestle in college as yet. Unbelievable.

One of the boards had a link to a nice article about Matt Todd being undefeated heading into the State Finals. I couldn't believe what I read when it said it could be his last match ever.That was in reference to him having no offers to wrestle in college as yet. Unbelievable.

Unbelievable that a college coach isn't all over a 1X state qualifier? Are you kidding me? Has he placed or gone to any national tournaments the past couple years?

College coaches go after kids that have done more than just been to state once. They go after kids that place at national tournaments like Fargo, NHSCA Nationals, Super 32, etc. On top of that, kids, coaches and their families must realize they need to recruit themselves sometimes. They cannot sit and wait for college coaches to contact them. If there is a school that they are interested in the kid needs to go to their website and fill out the recruit questionnaire.   Then a couple days later call the coach and talk to him. Show some initiative and it will go a long way.

Speaking from experience I told a young man this fall and last spring about a college program I thought he'd be a perfect fit for. He kept telling me "well they haven't called me, the must not be interested in me." I told him to go and fill out the questionnaire and see what happens. Guess what, that school is very interested in his services now and he is also very interested in going there.

Think of how many high school seniors there are in the country and try to think like a college coach. There is no way you can contact every kid you are interested in and its a lot easier to talk to a kid if you know from the beginning that the kid is interested in the college beforehand.

I didn't say I was expecting Iowa to be on his doorstep, geez. Kids do mature at different ages and being undefeated this year, made me think that a D3 school might have a use for him.

Good advice on contacting the schools you are interested in! I have seen parents work that program first-hand and earn their child a first-rate education.

Any wrestler who wishes to move on to the next level had better be putting together informational folders and match highlight DVD's to send to colleges.  Sitting by the phone only works for the very best, and not always for them.

Just a note mtv2112 about highlight DVDs.  Coaches do not want to see highlights, but rather around 5 matches against top level wrestlers.  If the wrestler has a loss, include one of them at least.  Highlight DVDs of "cool" takedowns and stuff aren't good in helping you get recruited.

Y2 hit it right on the nose.. you can't sit and wait for colleges you have to do some scouting for yourself. as far as the dvds go mine was 4 quality matches against good kids with a close loss. National exposure is huge.. You have to get your name out there on the map..

Keep in mind that some of the best "recruits" a coach gets are kids who walk in off the street.

Walk Ons are what a coach loves.  When you get that diamond in the rough no one else wanted you have a kid who is willing to earn his spot.  Very little ego and tons of determination.  As a coach you then have the opportunity to give a scholarship to a young person who has proven their worth to you.

So just because they haven't gotten offers, or even had their calls returned, don't let the kids get discouraged.  Tell them to try out.

"Walk Ons are what a coach loves. "

I would make sure that if you are walking on a team, that you believe a coach will someday give you a chance to wrestle.  Not sure if it is true at all D1 schools or smaller schools, but a lot of coaches love walk ons because they are live practice dummies that don't get a shot even if they win wrestle offs in practice.  The coach is trying to build a program and will put his money on the kids he recruits most often - that's his job.  Being "fair" may not be a priority. 

In my opinion, you should go to the best school you can get into for the academic program you want to pursue.  If they have wrestling, walk on and roll the dice.  If you walk on, realize you may have an uphill battle.

Unbelievable that a college coach isn't all over a 1X state qualifier?  Are you kidding me?  Has he placed or gone to any national tournaments the past couple years? 

College coaches go after kids that have done more than just been to state once.  They go after kids that place at national tournaments like Fargo, NHSCA Nationals, Super 32, etc.  On top of that, kids, coaches and their families must realize they need to recruit themselves sometimes.  They cannot sit and wait for college coaches to contact them.  If there is a school that they are interested in the kid needs to go to their website and fill out the recruit questionnaire.   Then a couple days later call the coach and talk to him.  Show some initiative and it will go a long way.

I think this hurts your class wrestling arguement.  I thought you have said that with more opportunities for small school wrestlers to make it to state they'd be more likely to be noticed by colleges, etc. etc. and wrestling in our state would grow.  But now you are saying that they must place at national tournaments and sell themselves to colleges in order to get those opportunities.  Which is it?

The more kids that get recognition, the better exposure they will have to college coaches. 

This is a direct quote from an email of a Top 10 DI coach in response to class wrestling

although I would prefer that each state only have one state champion, it does help the kids if they can say they are a state champ. I look much more closely at videos from kids from multiple state championships but I would not even consider many of these kids if they did not place in the state tournament.

Both...

If you want to go D1 then national meets are the way to go, along with marketing yourself.

I feel that a classed state tournament is more likely to bring a larger pool of d2 and d3 coaches to the state finals so they can recruit a larger pool of prospective talent. 

The whole situation really blows about wrestling at the next level.  I am pretty sure they won't let just anyone walk on either whit da gender equity deal. I look at all da state champs we had over da years in da region and how many made to the next level let alone finish school.

This is my limited understanding, but the gender equity has more to do with scholarships and how the athletic department spends money and provides for opportunities.  I don't think there are very many wrestling scholarships available anyway.  Probably a bunch of partials and a lot of walk-ons.

The whole situation really blows about wrestling at the next level.  I am pretty sure they won't let just anyone walk on either whit da gender equity deal. I look at all da state champs we had over da years in da region and how many made to the next level let alone finish school.

Why do you go from proper english to da rats language halfway through?  :-X

Im going to night school lol/ takin english 101

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Im going to night school lol/ takin english 101

Some of the boys from our school that haven't won state championships are getting looked at by D1 schools.They both are nationally ranked in their Grad class at their weight and perform well at National tournys.They also attend many offseason camps at schools they are interested in and have gotten to know coachs. Showing ability and a strong work ethic along with good attitude at a camp goes alot farther than just filling out a form and sending in a tape.Lastly grades are important,coachs don't waste scholarships on kids that can't cut in the classroom.

Also, you have to remember you are dealing with two distinct entities here. The 1st is the coach and his staff. They have to like what they see on the mat, your work ethic and so on. The 2nd is the admissions people. They are going to look at GPA, SAT, ACT and class rank. They are not going to be that concerned with what classes you took to get the grades unless you got an A or B in it. If you take a high level class and get a C in it, and someone takes a lower level class and gets an A, then they will have higher GPA, and class rank, and will be taken ahead of you with all else being equal. The admission people do not really care what the coach has to say. They have a formula for entry and you have to be inside that formula. or they will not allow you in. I would say that school work outweighs wrestling ability. Yes you have to have skills, but if the basic skills are there, and the coach sees thast you are coachable and you have the grades, you will get a look as long as you make them aware of you by doing the things that Y2 has stated. Filling out the forms, calling the coach, letting them know that you are sending them a tape of you. If you dont let them know it is going to be there, they will most likely toss it out.

Warrendad, colleges most certainly look at the level of classes you take in high school and take that into account when admitting students.  A kid that takes advanced classes such as calculus, physics, ap english and has a 3.5 gpa will get in over a kid who takes algebra II, and a bunch of screw off senior classes and has a 3.7.  I actually know a few kids in my senior class who got waitlisted at a college because the difficulty of their classes they took in the first semester of their senior year wasn't at the standards of what they were looking for, so they wanted to see the classes they would be taking in the second semester before making their decision.  And on a slightly different note, you cannot tell me that the admissions doesn't admit someone they may not originally have admitted if that person wasn't and athlete who would be on scholarship

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.