Freshmen state champions - by weight?

base

A question over on the Youth Wrestling board got me wondering -- seems like most of the wrestlers who win a state title as a freshman do so in the small weight classes, where there is typically not as many upperclassmen participating.

What freshmen have won state titles above the smallest couple of weight classes?

A question over on the Youth Wrestling board got me wondering -- seems like most of the wrestlers who win a state title as a freshman do so in the small weight classes, where there is typically not as many upperclassmen participating.

What freshmen have won state titles above the smallest couple of weight classes?

Most freshman also tend to be lighter in weight in general.  Making the odds of them participating in those weight classes more likely than the heavy ones.  Most juniors and seniors seem to grow enough to make it hard to keep down in the light weight especially with the new weight managment plans.  That's just the growth, maturity, and strenght training you get as you advance in high school wrestling at work. 

It should be said that some of those freshman were talented enough to win at other upperweights as well if they were that size instead.

That's a good point that freshmen typically don't have as many kids competing at the upper weights.  I'm not taking anything away from the freshmen either, I think it just illustrates how difficult it is to compete with kids that may be 3 years older and more physically mature.

I went to the IHSAA website, according to their records there have only been a handful of freshman state champions, and indeed almost every one of them is at the lightest weight class.  Keep in mind, though, that their records only consistently started tracking what grade the competitors were in after the 1981 season.

[table]

103  Al Lummio, East Chicago Washington 1942

120  Ray Webb, Bloomington University 1959

98  Lance Ellis, Indianapolis Cathedral 1986

100  Greg Schaefer, Evansville Mater Dei1995

103  John Sheets, Bellmont2000

119  Alex Tsirtsis, Griffith2001

130  Blake Maurer, Evansville Mater Dei2001

112  Angel Escobedo, Griffith2002

103  Eric Galka, Hobart2005

103  Josh Harper, Mishawaka2006

103  Ethan Raley, Indian Creek2008

[/table]

IHSAA defined them as freshmen.

1924  175  1  9  Estell  Ritter  Bloomington

1927  100  1  9  Robert  Schuler  Wabash

1930  100  1  9  Willard  Duffey  Muncie Central

1939  095  1  9  Ralph  Boruff  Bloomington

1942  103  1  9  Al  Lummio  E. Chicago Washington

1944  120  1  9  Jack  Benson  Bloomington

1946  095  1  9  Richard  Perkins  Muncie Central

1949  095  1  9  Howard  Fisher  S. B. Central

1959  120  1  9  Ray  Webb  Bloomington University

1986  098  1  9  Lance  Ellis  Indy Cathedral

2000  103  1  9  John  Sheets  Bellmont

2001  119  1  9  Alex  Tsirtsis  Griffith

2001  130  1  9  Blake  Maurer  Evansville Mater Dei

2002  112  1  9  Angel  Escobedo  Griffith

2005  103  1  9  Eric  Galka  Hobart

2006  103  1  9  Josh  Harper  Mishawaka

2008  103  1  9  Ethan  Raley  Indian Creek

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Are they true freshman by age?

huh?  I think Freshman = 9th grade

For some reason Mr. Mustard is stuck on the fact that some kids get held back at some point in their lives, so they aren't "true" freshmen. If you think it's ridiculous and insulting, I agree.

I could see a debate re: a Senior that is maybe well beyond typical high school age, cause they would maybe have an advantage.  But a freshman, even if they are older than typical, would still fall well within the normal range of a high school student.  So, if they would win State, then they are definitely the best at that weight class in the given year.

Well if you want to get technical, a lot of 16 year olds are much more physically and mentally mature than other 16 year olds.  I never understand why someone's age compared to their grade is that important.

So we should class the kids based on how much testosterone their body produces naturally at their age?  ;D

There are people that hold there kids back in eigth grade to make them more physicaly mature which I dont think it is right but it could get them that state championship.

Then I'm going to have to question the parents' priorities for their children, assuming this is happening.

I wish I had one more year.

Don't we all?

So we should class the kids based on how much testosterone their body produces naturally at their age?  ;D

HEY!!!  You're on to something, I like it!!!

I still don't have hair on my back so maybe I have an extra year of eligibility

My point is age versus high school status of freshman, sophomore, junior and senior.

I'm not downing anything. I'm new to wrestling and just was wondering?

Are you also new to the Grade Level system used in High Schools from Maine to California? 

Red Shirting is not really a possibility in High School...

I

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.