Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

You can break it down even further into the 3 classes, which gets REALLY ugly.

Going back to the average of 8 qualifiers per team the past 11 years.

1/3 smallest- 90 out of 102 teams are below the average

1/3 middle- 70 out of 102 teams are below average

1/3 biggest- 36 out of 103 teams are below average

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y2 I think your link just sends people back to the page they are on not the data you want them to look at.   By the way is 741 your halfway number based on all schools in Indiana period or just all schools that have wrestling currently?

I didn't take the time to read much of this thread...and I really could care less about this topic but here are my 2 cents.

I went to Avon and their best wrestling teams were when the were a 2a high school.  When I was there in the 90's we were 4A and weren't any better than the previous teams and we had the same coaches and facilities.  I don't want to take anything away from the more current wrestlers there but even since the school went 5a and got brand new facilities they are not as good as in the 80's....granted they got 2nd in the state tournament teamwise (a fantastic achievement with an admittly favorable draw) but this wasn't by the same scoring as in earlier days.  Congratulations to those wrestlers again!

Other high schools such as Ben Davis and Decatur Central and Delta were powerhouses and haven't gotten any smaller so shouldn't they be better than all the other small schools?   

One other thing that came to mind was in the early 90's there was a state finalist that was the only person on his wrestling team...whether he went to the biggest or smallest school in the state it didn't matter.

After reading Jeremy Hart's interview, I was completely infavor of class wrestling.  I lived in eastern Ohio and Ohio and PA wrestling produces so many great wrestlers.  There has to be something about class wrestling.

On the other hand, I believe in ONE champion per weight class because that is how I grew up.  BUT, I think we need to grow the sport, and if that means giving more wrestlers more exposure and more opprtunity, then class wrestling is probably a good option.

Indiana does not need class wrestling.. Indiana needs wrestlebacks if anything people need to stop whining  :) Indiana gets more kids recruited for having a single class of wrestling. You ask yourself why is that? Because it's tougher to place at state. If you're good, you'll be at the big show. Nuff said!!!

Obviously, the Big 10 is the cream of the crop for collegiate wrestling.  Watch matches between schools OTHER than IU and Purdue and you will notice the majority of the wrestlers competing at this level come from a state with a class wrestling system.

How many kids that get 3rd, 4th, or 5th at state, so not get recruited by a D! college.  If they would have won their class, they may have been given a chance.

Indiana does not need class wrestling.. Indiana needs wrestlebacks if anything people need to stop whining  :) Indiana gets more kids recruited for having a single class of wrestling. You ask yourself why is that? Because it's tougher to place at state. If you're good, you'll be at the big show. Nuff said!!!

Why does someone like Dan Gable or John Smith or Rob Koll say we should have class wrestling?

Kids get recruited for how they perform at Nationals against other top wrestlers from around the nation.  How many of these top D1 recruits never wrestled in any national tournaments?  National exposure comes from National tournaments.

Sure it does and how mnay of our guys go to these tournaments.

???  I was saying that their performance at those tournaments tends to outweigh state success, whether it be classed or not.

I didn't take the time to read much of this thread...and I really could care less about this topic but here are my 2 cents.

I went to Avon and their best wrestling teams were when the were a 2a high school.  When I was there in the 90's we were 4A and weren't any better than the previous teams and we had the same coaches and facilities.  I don't want to take anything away from the more current wrestlers there but even since the school went 5a and got brand new facilities they are not as good as in the 80's....granted they got 2nd in the state tournament teamwise (a fantastic achievement with an admittly favorable draw) but this wasn't by the same scoring as in earlier days.  Congratulations to those wrestlers again!

Other high schools such as Ben Davis and Decatur Central and Delta were powerhouses and haven't gotten any smaller so shouldn't they be better than all the other small schools?   

One other thing that came to mind was in the early 90's there was a state finalist that was the only person on his wrestling team...whether he went to the biggest or smallest school in the state it didn't matter.

What 1980's Avon team was better than the 2004-05 Avon team, dual meet or individual state scoring system?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.