Time for a Quick Y2 Rant

Y2CJ41

I really don't want to start an Us vs. Them war, but after seeing the latest IHSWCA Coaches Poll aka Vote for Your Buddy Poll, I feel sick to the stomach.

I will preface this by saying, no disrespect to any of the teams and coaches I mention as I think most of them probably know how good their teams are.

I can understand the poll being off in November or early December, but not on December 29th as with the latest released poll.  Here it is for your enjoyment.

1. Mishawaka (393), 2. Mater Dei (334), 3. Perry Meridian (324), 4. Crown Point (317), 5. Cathedral (303), 6. Bellmont (264), 7. Castle (226), 8. Lawrence North (221), 9. Merrillville (199), 10. Elkhart Memorial (188), 11. Evansville Reitz (172), 12. New Palestine (131), 13. Avon (113), 14. Carmel (98), 15. Yorktown (97), 16. Columbus North (78), 17. Roncalli (64), 18. Peru (46), 19. Center Grove (37), 20. South Bend Riley (33).

Also receiving votes were: Bloomington South, Columbia City, Delphi, East Noble, Elkhart Central, Evansville Memorial, Floyd Central, Ft. Wayne Carroll, Franklin, Jeffersonville, Lafayette Jeff, Martinsville, Mount Vernon, New Castle, New Haven, Penn, Portage, Southmont, South Dearborn, Warren Central, Westfield.

I will pick out a few teams I have seen wrestle and that a team that did not receive any votes has beaten.

#18 Peru

Lost to no votes Garrett

Tied(but won) against no votes LaPorte

Columbia City

5-8 on the year so far, are you f'n serious?

East Noble

Loss to no votes Munster

Loss to Carroll badly

Loss to Bellmont

Elkhart Central

Loss to no votes Garrett

Loss to Elkhart Memorial

Loss to Penn

Fort Wayne Carroll

Loss to no votes Garrett

Loss to some votes Elkhart Central

Loss to Bellmont

New Haven

7-7 on the year, are you serious? 

To me it looks like the good ole boys just want to vote for eachother and don't know squat about the best teams in the state. 

Rise above the Infreno sir ;)

We all know where the TRUE home of Indiana Wrestling is and where the GREATESTS fans reside in a fair and impartial group worship of the one we call JOE...

LOL

In all seriousness...don't sweat the little folk...

Is some one complaining about rankings? Don't we all agree that the only rankings that matter are the ones at Conseco or Center Grove? I for one like not having my team ranked....we remain the "hunter" and not the "hunted". Use is as fuel for your teams fire Y2, you of all people know that.

Bullseye Joe. Politics as usual(Good Ole Boys) Thank GOD for rankings based on real criteria. and they call it an upset when one of those teams get beat. We will know more in about two weeks.

It's mostly a result of convience more than anything I think.   The voters probably don't keep to much track of whats happening in the state other than their area.  Because of that they rely on past state results and perennial top teams for the rest of their votes.  That does not explain all the rankings, but I would say it explains how many of the coaches vote.  Unless you are constantly looking into information and collectiong data (i.e.  people like Y2) you probably are a little oblivious to what is happening with many of the states teams outside of your area.

The team rankings have mostly been that way in the past several years, not a recent occurance.   I would say that it's not really a results of the IHSWCA's lack of web management, as it is the polled coaches not spending tons of time looking for the results of most teams in the state.  

If you ask me the us vs. them thing is getting a little tired.   Not specifically the Y2 statement above, but those who are full out trashing the old board just for being the old board.  Yeah the IHSWCA doesn't have a working message board now and those who run it do not have a lot of web knowledge, but everyone was more than happy to frequnent the site for several years without an major complaint about it.  Just because we have a brand new shinny board with tech savy opperators and internet researching guru's doesn't mean we should completely trash the one site that helped bring Indiana wrestling together in tehe first place.  I for one like and thank the IHSWCA for all they have done and still do for the sport in Indiana.  If anything I thank them for paving the way and bringing everyone together.  I also feel sorry for them that they were not able to find the time to opperate the board or the and technical skills needed to maintain the site as well as they would hope it can be ran.   Yeah they could outsource the running of the site, but then they would be giving up much of the control they feel needs to be maintained in order to run an unbias organization which purpose is to help the wrestling coaches of indiana with issues.  The IHSWCA provided the  message boards and with it rankings just as a side project of their actual purpose of helping coaches and the sport.  It's fine to say this site is one of the best sites for information about Indiana wrestling.  Howver, some people are just blatently trashing the old site just because it did not offer as much content and that really accomplishes little in helping further the sport.

I also thank this site for picking up where the IHSWCA site has left off and continueing to bring Indiana wrestling information to all of us in bigger and better way.

Lets stack them against each other and take a look:

IHSWCA rankings                                indianamat.com rankings

1. Mishawaka                                            1. Mishawaka

2. Mater Dei                                                2. Evansville Mater Dei

3. Perry Meridian                                    3. Crown Point

4. Crown Point                                            4. Cathedral

5. Cathedral                                                5. Perry Meridian

6. Bellmont                                                6. Merrillville

7. Castle                                                      7. Yorktown

8. Lawrence North                                    8. Bellmont

9. Merrillville                                            9. Ev. Reitz

10. Elkhart Memorial                              10. Carmel

11. Evansville Reitz                                  11. Lawrence North

12. New Palestine                                      12. Portage

13. Avon                                                      13. Castle

14. Carmel                                                    14. New Palestine

15. Yorktown                                                15. Penn

16. Columbus North                                  16. Elk. Memorial

17. Roncalli                                                  17. Westfield

18. Peru                                                          18. Center Grove

19. Center Grove                                        19. Franklin

20. South Bend Riley                                20. Roncali

Is some one complaining about rankings? Don't we all agree that the only rankings that matter are the ones at Conseco or Center Grove? I for one like not having my team ranked....we remain the "hunter" and not the "hunted". Use is as fuel for your teams fire Y2, you of all people know that.

You Sir Have Got That Right!

I don't care about the ranking of my team in particular.  This is the first year I have really paid attention to the rankings, basically because we have wrestled some of the teams mentioned AND had success against them.  If we get votes, yipee it would be great to be mentioned in the same semi-breath as Mishawaka, Mater Dei, Perry Meridian, etc.  I just find it bad that this is supposed to be the official state poll and its pretty pathetic to say the least. 

No offense, Y2, but if anyone puts Garrett in the same breath as Mishawaka, Mater Dei, Crown Point, etc. their post is not only pathetic, it's ludicrous. The IHSWCA team poll is sad, to say the least but like someone said earlier, a lot of those coaches don't have time to research teams not in their area. I do think that someone over there at the IHSWCA should take some initiative and have some basic statistics to give to the coaches before they release their poll.

Whichever way you slice it, the IHSWCA website/polls/rankings couldn't hold indianamat.com's jock strap when it comes to information.

wcs,

Its not about that.  Its about putting out a quality product.  If you are going to do shoddy work and call it official you aren't doing anyone any favors.  The coaches that are voting for teams that have 7 and 8 losses are making a joke out of the rankings. 

Joe,

I think (not to state the obvious) this is exact reason the majority of us are here and not there.  Wrestling does have a VERY strong "Good Ole Boy" society and I have always found that to be incredibly destructive to the community as a whole.

I agree completely that ranking a team that has lost 7 or 8 times is just insane and to be honest, a total disservice to that team and the wrestling community.

All we can ask is that this site maintains the high standards it has set forth and that if rankings must be posted at all, they are based on the most reliable facts available and presented with respect for ALL.  You have managed this in every way Joe...Stay above the fray and this site will only grow until we no longer remember the other places.

As of lately the "there" doesn't even really exist to be at even if someone wanted to be.  The IHSWCA site has two feet in the grave and the casket closing at this current time.  Until they can find someone with a little more tech savy skills to keep it up and running and updated correctly this site is basically the only place you will find any informatoion on the complete state of Indiana's wrestling status. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.