Great Series Between 2 Wrestlers

XCard

Paul Baker(Bellmont) and Tony Abbott(Muncie South), Randy May(Bloomington South) and Jigger Smith(Muncie South), Dan Wickliffe(Muncie South) and Craig Locke(Delta), and Bobby Johnson(Wes-del) and Randall Hayes(Delta), and Kelvin Jackson(anderson highland) and Kevin Digman(Muncie Central) all good back and forth contests.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Eppert and Wright have been mentioned, but what series has involved the state finalists (1&2) for three years in a row, if they both survive the weight class this year.  There are several series where one wrestler had the upper hand, but these two kids have both won BIG matches against the other.  I heard Saturday's wasn't as close, but I wouldn't count Eppert out this week in New Castle.

Toby Turner (Monrovia) and Brian Bailey (Martinsville) wrestled five times in '91.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Including the state final.  I believe I am right that Turner lost conference, Sectional, Regional, Semi-State, and the state final to Bailey.

It was an awesome match, and I remember thinking Turner might have been awarded a stalling point (not taking anything away from Bailey.)

To make a correction Turner and Bailey did wrestle five times in 91 season the first was in a dual which ended in a tie.  Bailey won sectional final, regional final, semi-state final and state final.

The year before (90) Bailey wrestled Jamie Murray from Decatur Central five times as well.  The dual, regional final, semi-state final (DEF) and state final all went to Bailey.  Murray won a 2-2 RD in the sectional final.  This will date me a bit but the RD was a tie after regulation and a tie after a three minute overtime period.  The referree than decided who won based on a criteria.  Could anyone imagine losing a state title based on a referres decsion? 

Brey,

More than one wrestler has lost a State championship based on a referee's decision.

I can think of one championship match where both wrestlers lost a championship based on a referee's decision.

And just for the record it was a GOOD decision.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

www.theancientelder.net

Mid-90's (~1996)

Scott Hines (Lawrence North) and Nick Hull (Lawrence Central)

I believe they wrestled 7 times in one year, including a couple of duals along with the finals of conference, sectionals, regionals, semistate, and state.

Nick won all of them, but the score kept getting closer and closer.

Paul Baker(Bellmont) and Tony Abbott(Muncie South), Randy May(Bloomington South) and Jigger Smith(Muncie South), Dan Wickliffe(Muncie South) and Craig Locke(Delta), and Bobby Johnson(Wes-del) and Randall Hayes(Delta), and Kelvin Jackson(anderson highland) and Kevin Digman(Muncie Central) all good back and forth contests.

I remember Jim Marlbach (Adam Central) and Paul Baker had a good series during the 87 -88 season !

Brey,

More than one wrestler has lost a State championship based on a referee's decision.

I can think of one championship match where both wrestlers lost a championship based on a referee's decision.

And just for the record it was a GOOD decision.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

www.theancientelder.net

could you elaborate on that one, i noticed it while reading your book.

if you don't want to identify the wrestlers, i understand.  but, what was the circumstance?

What about Kevin Zehr vs. the World?

Man,  who could ever forget that guy? Every time he and Mitchel wrestled it would get out of hand. I remember my 75 year old Grandma yelling at that kid, and she was in the front row with a walker!

Did Zehr ever beat Mitchel that year? I know Mitchel won SS and if I remember right, he also won Conference. I am pretty sure that he won at the dual I went to also.

• 3 weeks later...

what about mike palmer (south bend riley) vs. randy morin (mishawaka) for three seasons these two heavies battled it out and their senrior years the wrestled each other all the way through state

talking about yourself on a forum?

what about mike palmer (south bend riley) vs. randy morin (mishawaka) for three seasons these two heavies battled it out and their senrior years the wrestled each other all the way through state

talking about yourself on a forum?

It appears so.....Kids these days.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.