Castle 5-Way 13 Dec 08

BlueBolt

Bloomington South

Castle

Forest Park

Jasper

Jeffersonville

Mater Dei

One word of advice...Wrestling Starts at 9 am CENTRAL TIME...Arrive EARLY as the parking situation at the school is horrible due to construction at the school!

Promises to be a GREAT DAY FOR WRESTLING!

With the Blah, Blah Blah...he cant be a Castle fan..They have a better vocabulary..LOL

I have heard but not sure..

1st CHS vs Bloom S

2nd CHS vs Jeff

3rd CHS vs MD

4th CHS vs Jasper

5th CHS vs Forest Park

Not sure where the break wil be though if any

With the Blah, Blah Blah...he cant be a Castle fan..They have a better vocabulary..LOL

I have heard but not sure..

1st CHS vs Bloom S

2nd CHS vs Jeff

3rd CHS vs MD

4th CHS vs Jasper

5th CHS vs Forest Park

Not sure where the break wil be though if any

Sometimes you have to use words the reader understands    ;D

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/dec/12/cats-try-to-keep-streak-going/

Here's the article the Courier & Press had in today's paper about the MD/CHS match-up this week-end.  Should be interesting, but my money's on the Cats.  Both great programs...good luck to all the boys!

Thats a nice article...

90/10 odds that either Castle or MD community will blame a close loss on a referee call, I'm going to predict a non-call for two points on the edge, although stalling calls or lack  of stalling calls are another popular option.  Wish I could be there, bet it will be intense to the nth degree.

90/10 odds that either Castle or MD community will blame a close loss on a referee call, I'm going to predict a non-call for two points on the edge, although stalling calls or lack  of stalling calls are another popular option.  Wish I could be there, bet it will be intense to the nth degree.

Sorry to the Castle Faithful, but we can blame the loss not on a ref or a call here or there, but just plain not wrestling well all day.  Not just against Mater Dei, but from Round One to the end.  We were just flat from the first whistle.  Gentlemen, you are better than the performance we witnessed today.  Sorry if that is to direct for some, but it IS the truth.

Congrats to Mater Dei for wrestling tough all day, and to Jeffersonville for coming in and making the day interesting.  Bloomington South is very respectable as you would expect year in and year out!  Jasper and Forest Park both represented themselves very well.  Each have very tough individuals who stand a great chance at making to SS or beyond.

MD won 32-12

Boots from MD lost a team point at the end of the match for something.

171 - Mann d. Boots MD -1-3

189 - Rosebrock d. Koester MD -1-6

215 - Robison d. Kercher MD  -1-9

285 - VanWinkle MD d. Daughtery 2-9

103 - Appell MD d. Doud 5-9

112 - May MD p. Brown 11-9

119 - Schoeder MD d. Mann 14-9

125 - Henderson MD d. Doud 17-9

130 - E. Weinzapfel MD d. Thompson  20-9

135 - A. Weinzapfel MD d. D. Welch 23-9

140 - Sims MD d. C. Welch 26-9

145 - Zenthofer MD d. Richards 29-9

152 - Pettijohn d. King 29-12

160 - Easterling MD d. Weikel 32-12

The buzz around the gym after MD stuggled with Jeffersonville was that Castle would likely take the dual with MD.  My take-a-way from today is that Jeffersonville is a solid team that just needs some conditioning in a few weight classes and MD always finds a way to win the close matches.  I still think Castle is the better team but they were dominated on the scoreboard by MD. 

The SIAC tourney should be interesting with Reitz having some clear favorites at the lower weights and Castle at the upper weights -  with MD, North, Harrison, Castle, Reitz, and Memorial scattered about for the remainder of the spots.

The swing match with MD/Castle was at 112 with May (MD- JV) pinning Brown from Castle.  You could just feel the air coming out of the Castle team and fans - this was likely a 9 to 12 point swing.

There is almost no way to ask this question without it sounding insincere, but if Castle is the better team, what was the difference.  Was Mater Dei better prepared, fresher, more intense, or what?  Anyone missing from the normal lineup?

Sorry to the Castle Faithful, but we can blame the loss not on a ref or a call here or there, but just plain not wrestling well all day.  Not just against Mater Dei, but from Round One to the end.  We were just flat from the first whistle.   Gentlemen, you are better than the performance we witnessed today.  Sorry if that is to direct for some, but it IS the truth.

I agree completely.  This was not the Castle wrestling I saw in last years SIAC tournament.  They weren't agressive and did stupid things.  I believe I saw two seniors roll onto their backs a couple of times.  You can't do that against Mater Dei, or any good wrestler, because they will make you pay.

Mater Dei wrestled like the champions they are.  Castle wrestled sloppy...major improvements are needed if they stand a chance winning against Reitz and the SIAC tourney (which I believe will go to Mater Dei again). 

Also, unlike last year, no one was agressive on their feet.

Oh I am POSITIVE you will see a great deal of improvement in all areas of Castle's perfomance yesterday.  This is a truly solid group of wrestlers who had an uncharacteristly bad bad day.  The coaches and the boys will pull it all together. 

No Excuses, No Whinning, Just a Lesson in what one bad day can do. 

I am positive these young men are rather unhappy with their performance yesterday and that may be the best thing in the world for them at the moment!  I know they will use this expirence to a positive end.

As for what will happen down the road...that remains to be seen...It's up to them to make this the year they want. 

With all due respect to Mater Dei...Mater Dei wasn't what beat Castle yesterday, Castle beat Castle. 

Mater Dei seized the opportunities given to them as a good team will do.  On that given day they came out on top. 

Honestly, Jeffersonville impressed me with not only their perfomance, but the sense of TEAM they brought to Castle yesterday.  These kids backed each and every wrestler that took the mat in a Red Devil singlet yesterday.  If I had them on the schedule from here on out, I wouldn't over look them! 

The buzz around the gym after MD stuggled with Jeffersonville was that Castle would likely take the dual with MD.  My take-a-way from today is that Jeffersonville is a solid team that just needs some conditioning in a few weight classes and MD always finds a way to win the close matches.  I still think Castle is the better team but they were dominated on the scoreboard by MD. 

The SIAC tourney should be interesting with Reitz having some clear favorites at the lower weights and Castle at the upper weights -  with MD, North, Harrison, Castle, Reitz, and Memorial scattered about for the remainder of the spots.

The swing match with MD/Castle was at 112 with May (MD- JV) pinning Brown from Castle.  You could just feel the air coming out of the Castle team and fans - this was likely a 9 to 12 point swing.

How do you figure that Castle is the better team?  Where are they going to make up that 20 point differential? 

There is almost no way to ask this question without it sounding insincere, but if Castle is the better team, what was the difference.  Was Mater Dei better prepared, fresher, more intense, or what?  Anyone missing from the normal lineup?

I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) what they are trying to say is the dual was actually closer than the score appears.

7 matches were decided by 1 or 2 points, it may have been 8 as I don't have the score of the 171 match.  One pin was given up by both teams.  No Major Decisions or Tech Falls.  In otherwords, 12 or 13 3 point matches and one 6 point match. 

Mater Dei beat Castle...that fact is in the History Books.  They seized each opportunity to win as a championship team will do that much is obvious.

But as always, when you look over meet scores, it's always best to look a bit deeper and see if the match scores were 7-0 or 1-0...there is a HUGE difference regardless of who wins or loses.

That being said...a loss is a loss just as a win is a win.  Mater Dei perfromed...Castle didn't.

It's just my opinion that Castle has the better team - and the better team doesn't always win.  For example, Reitz beating Mater Dei in basketball Friday night!!!  :o  Not too many people saw that coming either.

MD will always give their best effort.  For some reason, Castle was not at their best on Saturday and (like I said above) after losing the 112 match the momentum swung heavily toward the cats.  To beat MD you have to win the matches in which you're favored and get some unexpected wins.  Historically, MD is favored in most weight classes - I don't see that as the case this year.  However, they were the ones getting the unexpected wins on Saturday.