Novice Class

1gold

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't count out Sage Coy at 65.  Noah Warren should make top 8.

90 looks like it is getting good too.  I am leaning towards a Bennett/ Herrick finish although Van Horn, Ramsey, and Dow (if he is at 90) should be right up there.  There are a few more in there that can make it interesting.

I am looking forward to 80!

Too bad out predictions could be way off- these guys may not go where registered.

Pound for pound who is the best novice, I would say Kemper, James, and Stewart

Kemper and James are fantastic but neither of them has won consecutive titles yet, and didn't win it as a first year Novice. My top five are in order by weight each has won a title as a first year Novice and 4 of the 5 have won at least 2 consecutively. The other three I just couldn't leave off the list. I'm sure I'm missing some good ones.

Chad Red jr. 3 consecutive.(first year novice)

Paul Konrath 3-4 titles consecutive.(first year novice)

Drew Hughs - 3 titles consecutive, 3rd place this year.

Brock Morgan - champ last year, second this year.

Jason Crary - 4 titles consecutive.(first year novice)

Bailey Lahue - 3-4 consecutive finals, champ this year.

Jake Tucker - champ this year.

Blake Rypel - finalist last 3 years.

Ben Stewart

Garrett Wilson

Personally, I have always felt that if you win a state title as a first year kid in the division, that is an amazing accomplishment because of the talent out there! To do it consistently is just unreal...

You also have to consider the QUALITY in each bracket, etc. Some brackets will only have 1-2 kids who are stand-out wrestlers where other brackets may have 4-5. Also, since we don't seed our state tournament, the draw plays a HUGE part as well...if a kid has to face 2-3 real tough kids enroute to the finals and a kid on the other side walks to the finals without breaking a sweat, there is certainly an advantage. Like anything else, you really have to look beyond the end result and see what is really going on, etc.

As you can see, earning the title "State Champ" is a relative term. I think that hardcore wrestling folks understand this.

...just my 2 cents  :)

Personally, I have always felt that if you win a state title as a first year kid in the division, that is an amazing accomplishment because of the talent out there! To do it consistently is just unreal...

You also have to consider the QUALITY in each bracket, etc. Some brackets will only have 1-2 kids who are stand-out wrestlers where other brackets may have 4-5. Also, since we don't seed our state tournament, the draw plays a HUGE part as well...if a kid has to face 2-3 real tough kids enroute to the finals and a kid on the other side walks to the finals without breaking a sweat, there is certainly an advantage. Like anything else, you really have to look beyond the end result and see what is really going on, etc.

As you can see, earning the title "State Champ" is a relative term. I think that hardcore wrestling folks understand this.

I agree 1,000% with that!

If Josh Stewart and Jason Crary meet at 90lbs. Novice what would be the out come????????? Jason has the name "Crary".

he made it. Were did Stewart come from WOW!!!!! he is making a name as well.

For me Stewart over Benett might have been one of the biggest upset of the weekend. Jason Crary and Danny Baker wrestled in the final at HYWY last year in Peru, the final was 6-0 Crary(had to check the bracket sheet), but Danny's gotten big and really improved. I'd love to see a Stewart-Crary matchup. I'd like to see a Crary-Lahue matchup. Jason's at least a year younger than all three of the others, and maybe two grades behind.(4th grader)

I couldn't agree more, and seeding would be a big help(here we go again). LOL........  Is it better to be lucky than good? who knows, but with out a doubt, luck is a big help at every level.

I couldn't agree more, and seeding would be a big help(here we go again). LOL........  Is it better to be lucky than good? who knows, but with out a doubt, luck is a big help at every level.

Why not regional qualifiers? Use the same districts as semi states, and take the top 4 or 8 from each, then draw for the semi state match ups, and seed based on placement.

You can check on Trackwrestling right now and see the Illinois' state championships coming up this weekend. There are 24 qualifiers at the Novice and Senior (our schoolboy) divisions for each weight class. There are three (3) wrestlers that qualify for state from each of the 8 regional tournament sites that were held last weekend around the state of Illinois. Basically, the IKWF runs it like the IHSA and the IHSAA with their state series. It's actually a pretty nice way of doing things BUT...

I think the ISWA will not make as much money from this and I am not saying this as a negative. The ISWA needs to make money so they can have better programs, tournaments, etc. so I completely understand the need to put cash in the account.

The subject of having an easier route still exists with the Illinois' format though, the champs from the regional get a first round bye and the 2nd and 3rd placers wrestle the first round but there is still a chance to have a bad draw vs. a good draw. You will never get rid of that totally but it does level the playing field and you certainly don't have 4-5 good wrestlers in one side of the bracket and one good one on the other side with the Illinois format.

It's something to explore and I am sure the ISWA is pondering this and other improvements. I do know that our head coach, Joe Willmann, is an ISWA section director for our region up here and if I know him, he would put in to hold a regional qualifier tournament here at Lowell if we ever did go to something like that.

Its interesting to think about...

p.s. I think Wisconsin has a very similar format that Illinois has...and the reason I refer to Illinois so much is because we spend so much time over there wrestling...I like to follow the boys from Illinois that Jake has wrestled throughout the years.

I have spoken my peace about this one before.  I don't like the regional thing.  Just for example this year in the SB 77 bracket there are 6 kids registered that live within 30 minutes of each other 4 out of the 6 are returning state placers or returning state champs then if you extend the region 10 minutes further down the road then you would add another 3 wrestlers ( 2 more state placers)  then at SB 84 you have 11 kids who live within 40 minutes of each other and more than half of them are returning placers or state champs.  Now who do you tell that they don't deserve to go to state?  You would hand a possible state place winners spot to a kid he could beat just because he comes out of a tougher regional?  This way we get all the best kids there and they all have a chance to earn their placement.  I want a true placement, because everyone had the same chance to be there  and everyone was in the same bracket and everyone got the same chance to place.  Not to mention, what if a kid is sick the week of regionals  but is fine the week of state are you going to tell a kid ( a returning state champ even) who worked his but off all year he can't  compete at state because he was sick last week.  I think the only good idea that has come out of Illinois is there point system that they use ( I think it is for their midget state tournament) where you gain points for placement at local tournaments and the more points a wrestler get for competing over the season the higher his seed for the state tournament.  This might encourage some of the better wrestlers to compete a little more at local tournaments.  But, then again, if they still don't go to local tournaments people will get mad because they come in as a 0 seed and upset the #1 seed right out of the gate.  And another problem with this is, for the ISWA to be able to use a point system accurately,  ALL the tournaments would have to turn in their tournament results sheets and that doesn't always happen.  So now you got a kid who should have had a number one seed get a 3 or4 because the people at the local tournament didn't turn in there paper work and now the parent is all mad because his kid didn't get the seeding that he should have and the ISWA is telling him that they can't do anything about it because the paper work wasn't turned in and they can't verify that his son won that tournament.  You can't please everyone, but you can give everyone a fair shake.

I wouldn't be against kids having to qualify for folkstyle like they do for freestyle.  That would at least get some of those better kids out to play a little.

Just my 2 cents worth.  I think I just argued with myself.  I'm cool like that. 8)

Brandi I agree with alot of what you said but disagree with some.  In Wisconsin they allow you to go to any Regional that you want to go to, you don't have to go to the one close to you.  I love that idea because it goes to where you were saying some areas are extremly tough, and this allows them to spread out.  As for the sickness, well Patrick was sick for 2 weeks, and we made the decision to go ahead and wrestle state.  using the Regional State formate he would have been sick both weekends thus it wouldn't have mattered, sometiems those are the tough breaks.  Now Wisconsin has two weeks in between the Regional and State meet.

Just Some thought, I like the point system as well but like everything else it has its flaws.

I completely understand what you are saying Brandi; it was more food for thought with me, I am not 100 percent behind their format but it is interesting to look at and think about any improvements that we could make here in Indiana. Like I wrote earlier, there will always be bad draws, etc. all the way up through high school.

Another reason why Illinois succeeds with its format is the fact that they have nearly twice the wrestlers that we do here in Indiana...I couldn't imagine them attempting to have an OPEN state tournament! They would have 75-100 man brackets per weight/division. For them, it's really about logistics and efficiency.

-Shane

I don't mind the format the way it is and I think it would be too hard to come up with any type of seeding criteria with kids this young.  The luck of the draw does make for some exciting matches in some of the early rounds.  However, I would really like to see the ISWA implement wrestlebacks to a true second.  It only adds one more match (sometimes) per bracket and I think that would make the placements the fairest. 

Just for comparison sake, take a look over at Iowa they have both USA and AAU state tournaments and both run a district qualifier and sure sometimes some districts are harder than others but that happens at every level.  With district qualifiers there are equal numbers of wrestlers and a more manageable tournament where the winners can be rewarded with a podium for medal awards, wall charts and t-shirts.  In fact, there each state champion also receives a chamion jacket as his/her award. 

I don't think you could find one weight/age class where all 8 kids are from one area. Even so, you could have a very good 7 seed from one regional beat a 2 seed from another. Then you wouldn't have as many championship matches in the first round like there seem to be now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.