Article: 2024 Olympic Trials Indiana Notables

Winchester up 3-0 in the 2nd. Hedrick with a near-4 pointer on the edge of the mat, makes it 3-2 Winchester. Hedrick running out of time.....Winchester wins 4-2, will face Maroulis tomorrow for a spot.

Kilty up 4-3 on Page. Kilty immediately jumps in on Page's legs, Page is able to turn Kilty, but Kilty reverses, making it 6-5 Kilty. 90 secs left, could be a barn burner. 9-8 Kilty with 1 second left...Kilty wins will face Miracle for an Olympic berth. Tough matchup.

Last match and it's a doozy. Valencia and the home favorite Aaron Brooks for a spot in the best of 3 with the winner to get the pleasure of facing the Unicorn, David Taylor.

No score first minute. Heavy hands, Brooks hard on Valencia's head. They seem to be physically evenly matched. Passivity warning on Valencia, super slick duck under, but Brooks sprawls it out. No score for either guy. They are locking up with intensity, Valencia gets a point for Brooks' passivity. Brooks nearly gets a TD on the edge, Valencia whizzers out. 1-0 Valencia to start the 2nd.

Valencia's length helping him fend off Brooks. BIG blast double by Brooks, but the referee bumps into Valencia as he attempted to fight off the attack. Not sure what the rules are on this, but Valencia's corner threw the brick. Changed to a stepout. 1-1 with a minute gone in the period. Brooks in deep again, Valencia tries to whizzer his way out, 2 for Brooks. 3-1 now. Valencia WITH A HUGE feet to back, gets a 4 pointer and takes the lead 5-3. Valencia pumping his fists and working the partisan PSU crowd up into a lather. 4 pointer confirmed, plus the point for the failed challenged. 6-3 Valencia with a solid lead, but we know Brooks is a champion and he beat Valencia last time out.

Valencia doing a good job of using up time, just 45 secs for Brooks to do something....Valencia with a quick, slick single, Brooks defends, but less than 30 seconds and Brooks needs some quick scores. Gets a slideby after a headlock, cuts it to 6-5. The stepout for Brooks ties it at 6-6 but Valencia has criteria....penalty point of some kind (sorry I was typing), makes it 7-6 in favor of Brooks. Not sure I love how that ended, but great match and an impressive win for Brooks.

See you all tomorrow!

1 hour ago, smitty11 said:

If Mendez wins against McKenna and Lee loses does he get a chance for true second?

Yes, but unfortunately Mendez lost to McKenna on criteria.  

I would have loved to have seen a Mendez vs Lee match.  

Hey there. Just wanted to let everyone know why I was MIA today. I had a health scare last night and I was unable to make it today. Pretty big bummer, but I'm heading home early today. Thanks for those of you who experienced this with me and it looks like we have a great shot at having 3 Indiana Olympians, which is absolutely incredible. I'm sad about Nick Lee but still a phenomenal showing by him. Mendez and Carroll both showed up and got some big scalps. I'll be rooting from afar for our 3 to finish the deal tonight.

17 minutes ago, Dingo Brigade said:

Hey there. Just wanted to let everyone know why I was MIA today. I had a health scare last night and I was unable to make it today. Pretty big bummer, but I'm heading home early today. Thanks for those of you who experienced this with me and it looks like we have a great shot at having 3 Indiana Olympians, which is absolutely incredible. I'm sad about Nick Lee but still a phenomenal showing by him. Mendez and Carroll both showed up and got some big scalps. I'll be rooting from afar for our 3 to finish the deal tonight.

Wow, so sorry! Get well soon!

1 hour ago, Dingo Brigade said:

Health first man.  Thanks again for all of the prior updates.  Get well. 

On 4/20/2024 at 12:40 PM, TrueRegionFan said:

Yes, but unfortunately Mendez lost to McKenna on criteria.  

I would have loved to have seen a Mendez vs Lee match.  

No true 2nd match. Nick places 2nd