Semi-State Death Pods / Ticket Round Matches

1 hour ago, JORVILLE said:

No it’s not follow the leader. It’s true wrestle backs in Illinois now . 

Illiinois always had wrestlebacks!!!!!!  Just like every other state besides Indiana.   Yea,  Normal standard 16 man brackets with cross bracketing, wrestlebacks or whatever you want to call them.   If the IL activities  association  tried to wrestle a state tournament in Illinois without wrestlebacks,  that dude would be lynched by the wrestling coaches.   Lets keep it simple in Indiana and do the right thing..

41 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Illiinois always had wrestlebacks!!!!!!  Just like every other state besides Indiana.   Yea,  Normal standard 16 man brackets with cross bracketing, wrestlebacks or whatever you want to call them.   If the IL activities  association  tried to wrestle a state tournament in Illinois without wrestlebacks,  that dude would be lynched by the wrestling coaches.   Lets keep it simple in Indiana and do the right thing..

Illinois did not have full wrestle backs in 96 and 97 when I wrestled in that state.

3 minutes ago, Christopher Bohn said:

Illinois did not have full wrestle backs in 96 and 97 when I wrestled in that state.

They just switched it from the follow the leader in the last few years . 

45 minutes ago, JORVILLE said:

They just switched it from the follow the leader in the last few years . 

I looked up a 2009 IL braxket, and it looked like a full 16 man bracket.

Back in my jome state KS,   we had pull throughs or follow the leader until 1986, then they went to full brackets.  I think the point was, why not just wrestle.

Been thinking about potential solutions to death draws that IHSAA might not immediately shut down.  Because wrestle backs have been tried and tried and no dice.

What if each head coach in semi state gets to vote for a wildcard from each weight. Fits with how college works with wildcard bids.  Then the kid with most votes wrestles a 4 Friday night.  Adds 1.5-2hrs to Friday with one additional round.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:08 PM, AndyStJ said:

In IHSAA world, where both seeding and wrestlebacks are evil. I can understand not seeding SS as you have regional 1 vs 4 and so on, but adding wrestlebacks would make it closer to having the best wrestlers advancing, not the luckiest draws.

I like how they match up 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3.

But with the pitiful job they do of alligning which schools are in which sectional…. regional… and semi-states.  Wrestle backs are a must to make sure the best kids reach the state finals.

Gibbs versus May is just nuts.

5 hours ago, tangarrray said:

At least you would have to win twice at regionals to make semi state. The way it is now, if you happen to have a weight that for whatever reason is short a wrestler, one person will now be a semi state qualifier and possibly not win a match at the regional. 

This is an outlier example and not very common.  If you received a forfeit at regional it is because you won the Sectional, so you did win some matches already but again an outlier. 

I just don’t think reducing SSQ’s is what we want for the growth of our sport.  The more recognition our kids can get through state advancement, team state, small class state, fresh/soph state, etc. the better.

I would be all for the idea presented if the SS’s can handle 28 additional matches.

58 minutes ago, arizonawrestler said:

I like how they match up 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3.

But with the pitiful job they do of alligning which schools are in which sectional…. regional… and semi-states.  Wrestle backs are a must to make sure the best kids reach the state finals.

Gibbs versus May is just nuts.

Just looking at 150 across the state, the way the draws have come out, you're going to lose at least 5 wrestlers out of the top 16 at semi state.  If the rankings play out like they should in the first round, here are the ticket round matches

Evansville

#1 Krejsa vs #14 Bonenberger

#2 May vs #3 Gibbs

East Chicago

#10 Bohn vs #15 Davis

#7 Smith vs #9 Nowaczyk

New Castle

#4 Weaver vs #8 Getz

8 hours ago, Christopher Bohn said:

Just looking at 150 ... ticket round matches

#2 May vs #3 Gibbs

As I said in another thread, one of these 2 guys' season ending prior to the State Finals because of no wrestlebacks is flat out criminal.

A top 3 wrestler in his weight class not making the State Finals - insane.

Edited by SIACfan

4 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

As I said in another thread, one of these 2 guys' season ending prior to the State Finals because of no wrestlebacks is flat out criminal.

A top 3 wrestler in his weight class not making the State Finals - insane.

I posted it somewhere else, but in the 150 lb weight class, at least 5 of the top 16 ranked wrestlers will be eliminated on Saturday.  

4 minutes ago, Christopher Bohn said:

I posted it somewhere else, but in the 150 lb weight class, at least 5 of the top 16 ranked wrestlers will be eliminated on Saturday.  

It was the post I quoted. I just edited out most of it to focus on the fact that one of the top 3 guys in the weight class will miss the State Finals.

6 hours ago, jasonbk2 said:

With the technology we have today that we can see each other through computers, phones, and TVs, how come you can't seed the regionals, semi-state, and state?

because seeding those events would ignore the performance in the previous round of the tournament.  That would mean that some kid who won his sectional/regional/semi-state could theoretically be seeded lower than someone who placed 4th in theirs because of how the criteria is shaped.  

Seeding is unnecessary at regional.  I can see the need for it at Semi-State & state but would limit seeding to region/SS champions while keeping the formula for the draw.  

I'd like to see wrestlebacks at regional & SS & state, would even concede to just SS with wrestleback 3rd after quarters (first round loss = elimination).  Would get a better representation of the top 16 

and I'll never understand why state itself is not full wrestlebacks.  Are we really okay with a kid winning 1 match and being a state placer?  Make em earn it.  

Edited by JayinSTL

1 hour ago, DawgPoundRed said:

The ihsaa is trying to give you guys a shot by giving us a couple tough draws. But those guys have to beat us and we are the bad draw.dont be surprised when we break the record 13 moving on 

I have seen you use the pronouns us and we numerous times. Profile name implies Crown Point, but your school says Hanover Central so is the we/us you use referring to Hanover Central or Crown Point? Also, if you are not actually wrestling regardless of school, why are you saying we and us as if you will participate? 

Edited by ArgyllWrestling