Team State Qualification Leaderboard & Classification (unverified, unofficial thru Sectional)

Here are the Team State Leaderboards through Sectional. I wrote in another thread. Two of us that do a lot of this are traveling and we're behind. About half of these scores have only been tallied by one person and have not been cross-checked for correctness. We will be much more "official" after regional.

Also, these enrollment numbers are Department of Education numbers. They will remain unofficial until state finals weekend. If the IHSAA does its biannual enrollment/classification release by the state finals, we will use that data instead. If not, these numbers will stand because we are at the end of the 2-year cycle, and we want to use up-to-date data.

Remember, in 1A these scores already matter very significantly because it's much tougher to score from here on out in that class.

In 2A, scores mean something now, but teams with many kids left can still make big jumps.

Scores after sectional for 4A and 3A mean virtually nothing. You need most of your team to semi-state to get one of the automatic 8 spots in 3A, and you need most of your team to the ticket round and state for one of the 6 auto bids in 4A.

Here's a file with a Leaderboard tab and a Classification/Enrollment tab:

Team State Classification & Leaderboard 2024.xlsx

Or, you can simply click a few times to zoom in this image on most formats and the leaderboards and enrollment numbers are both there.

image.thumb.png.1585b38170f6da0e7f5de6c42632f86b.png

1 hour ago, maligned said:

Here are the Team State Leaderboards through Sectional. I wrote in another thread. Two of us that do a lot of this are traveling and we're behind. About half of these scores have only been tallied by one person and have not been cross-checked for correctness. We will be much more "official" after regional.

Also, these enrollment numbers are Department of Education numbers. They will remain unofficial until state finals weekend. If the IHSAA does its biannual enrollment/classification release by the state finals, we will use that data instead. If not, these numbers will stand because we are at the end of the 2-year cycle, and we want to use up-to-date data.

Remember, in 1A these scores already matter very significantly because it's much tougher to score from here on out in that class.

In 2A, scores mean something now, but teams with many kids left can still make big jumps.

Scores after sectional for 4A and 3A mean virtually nothing. You need most of your team to semi-state to get one of the automatic 8 spots in 3A, and you need most of your team to the ticket round and state for one of the 6 auto bids in 4A.

Team State Classification & Leaderboard 2024.xlsx 33.38 kB · 60 downloads

Or, you can simply click a few times to zoom in this image on most formats and the leaderboards and enrollment numbers are both there.

Regarding 4A and 3A… scores after sectional don’t matter even after there was a realignment? Seems strange that some sectionals get easier for 4A and 3A teams and others get harder without accounting for that. The odds of advancing more or less out off sectional and regional are legit. Southport sectional competition has really stepped up while Arsenal Tech’s got easier. This also impacts regionals which in turn affects semi-state. Those are just two “tip of mind” sectionals that I can think of but there are probably more. If you have doubts… talk to the coaches and kids at Mt. Vernon Fortville… sectionals at Southport this year were a hell of a lot more difficult than last year. 

Edited by jonah7474

37 minutes ago, jonah7474 said:

Regarding 4A and 3A… scores after sectional don’t matter even after there was a realignment? Seems strange that some sectionals get easier for 4A and 3A teams and others get harder without accounting for that. The odds of advancing more or less out off sectional and regional are legit. Southport sectional competition has really stepped up while Arsenal Tech’s got easier. This also impacts regionals which in turn affects semi-state. Those are just two “tip of mind” sectionals that I can think of but there are probably more. If you have doubts… talk to the coaches and kids at Mt. Vernon Fortville… sectionals at Southport this year were a hell of a lot more difficult than last year. 

many more points will be scored, so ranking won’t matter now cuz the points will be so much different in two weeks.

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Team State Classification & Leaderboard 2024.xlsx 33.38 kB · 82 downloads

thanks for all the hard work on this guys. Really appreciate you pulling this together even while traveling.

Are the full lineup bonus points counted in this? I had our guys 8 points higher. Which would make sense if you haven’t figured in the bonus.

3 hours ago, jonah7474 said:

As jc said, I mean the rank order right now is insignificant because there are so many big points still available. Some near the top in 4A right now won't come close to qualifying, but some further down will score huge numbers the next 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, Nate Spangle said:

thanks for all the hard work on this guys. Really appreciate you pulling this together even while traveling.

Are the full lineup bonus points counted in this? I had our guys 8 points higher. Which would make sense if you haven’t figured in the bonus.

Yes, full lineup bonuses are already calculated. This is you:

image.png.0decac57818b3ac465928b9b7047659d.png

Points are scored from your "virtual" results. You're a Category 3 sectional, meaning only the top 3 placers, on average, would advance at an "average" level sectional. So 4th and 5th placers at your sectional receive a virtual designation of Sectional 5th/6th. And the 6th place finishers receive a designation of Sectional non-placer ("sect" above). I'm guessing your small drops in points at 126, 175 and 190 where you were 4th, 6th, and 4th are where your calculation is different from ours. Another possibility is that grades for your kids were entered wrong on Track and one of the seniors above ("S") is actually an underclassman.

6 hours ago, maligned said:

Yes, full lineup bonuses are already calculated. This is you:

image.png.0decac57818b3ac465928b9b7047659d.png

Points are scored from your "virtual" results. You're a Category 3 sectional, meaning only the top 3 placers, on average, would advance at an "average" level sectional. So 4th and 5th placers at your sectional receive a virtual designation of Sectional 5th/6th. And the 6th place finishers receive a designation of Sectional non-placer ("sect" above). I'm guessing your small drops in points at 126, 175 and 190 where you were 4th, 6th, and 4th are where your calculation is different from ours. Another possibility is that grades for your kids were entered wrong on Track and one of the seniors above ("S") is actually an underclassman.

Ahhh thanks for sharing! It was the 190. Had him at 12 points but due to difficultly rating he only scored 4. Thanks for sharing this!

1 hour ago, Clint Gard said:

Cascade is 1A and Rensselaer Central is 2A.

This is with the new numbers for the 2024-25, 2025-26 cycle. Numerous teams moved up and down between 1A and 2A. Cascade is so far up into 2A and Rensselaer so far down into 1A that neither is even really a cut line team.

36 minutes ago, maligned said:

This is with the new numbers for the 2024-25, 2025-26 cycle. Numerous teams moved up and down between 1A and 2A. Cascade is so far up into 2A and Rensselaer so far down into 1A that neither is even really a cut line team.

All good.

We thought that might be the case. Same goals, New Division, we are up to the challenge!

1 hour ago, 84Coach said:

All good.

We thought that might be the case. Same goals, New Division, we are up to the challenge!

They are turning every cornfield in #TheCounty into new housing additions. Thanks DR Horton!!! 🤦 

Edited by Mattyb

5 hours ago, maligned said:

My bad!  I didn’t realize the new cycle was out or I just missed it.  Thanks for the clarification.

11 hours ago, 84Coach said:

All good.

6 hours ago, Clint Gard said:

My bad!  I didn’t realize the new cycle was out or I just missed it.  Thanks for the clarification.

I like that fire, 84Coach. 

For you and Coach Gard and whoever else, that document I linked in the leaderboard post has 2 sheets: the leaderboard is one and all the enrollment data is the other if you want to take a look. Enrollment numbers are also the last column in the leaderboard image.

-500 is 1A (91 schools)

500+ is 2A (90)

977+ is 3A (60)

2000+ is 4A (37+2)

Edited by maligned

5 hours ago, maligned said:

I like that fire, 84Coach. 

For you and Coach Gard and whoever else, that document I linked in the leaderboard post has 2 sheets: the leaderboard is one and all the enrollment data is the other if you want to take a look. Enrollment numbers are also the last column in the leaderboard image.

-500 is 1A (91 schools)

500+ is 2A (90)

977+ is 3A (60)

2000+ is 4A (37+2)

Thanks…for some reason I can only see the leaderboard when I’m on my phone so I didn’t see both tabs.