Favorite Wrestling Saying or Cliches

This is not a cliche, but it still makes me laugh. While coachig middle school and a new wrestler who had a problem with reaching back while on bottom. After they went out of bounds before they made it back to the line  I here the coach say " If I see your armpit one more time while you are on bottom you are ridding home with your mom"😀

Why does every coach yell "head up!" when their wrestler is in a pinning combination, like after you turn someone with a half nelson? I understand the physics of it, that it's supposed to expand your chest and in theory put more pressure on the bottom guy. However, I know of very few good wrestlers who finish pins with their head high. It's usually the opposite - buried as tight as possible so there's no space or breathing room. Yet every coach in the gym screams "head up!" from that position. I don't understand where, when, or why that started.

3 minutes ago, SSHS said:

Why does every coach yell "head up!" when their wrestler is in a pinning combination, like after you turn someone with a half nelson? I understand the physics of it, that it's supposed to expand your chest and in theory put more pressure on the bottom guy. However, I know of very few good wrestlers who finish pins with their head high. It's usually the opposite - buried as tight as possible so there's no space or breathing room. Yet every coach in the gym screams "head up!" from that position. I don't understand where, when, or why that started.

There are definitely pinning situations where looking up and arching your back with hips in helps get the fall.

10 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

There are definitely pinning situations where looking up and arching your back with hips in helps get the fall.

Maybe being completely on top of the guy in like a grapevine position, then I would agree - hips in and head up. But body perpendicular from a half turn? Not convinced there.

24 minutes ago, SSHS said:

Maybe being completely on top of the guy in like a grapevine position, then I would agree - hips in and head up. But body perpendicular from a half turn? Not convinced there.

The hips is part of it, but I also think it has to do with lifting the opponents head. Guys are looking at the shoulders to see if they're pinned and don't focus as much on lifting the head. Looking up brings everything up, including the arm holding the head. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The hips is part of it, but I also think it has to do with lifting the opponents head. Guys are looking at the shoulders to see if they're pinned and don't focus as much on lifting the head. Looking up brings everything up, including the arm holding the head. 

And maybe in some situations the coach may be talking about lifting the opponent’s head up rather than saying his wrestler’s head should be up.

Okay, back to cliches.

29 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

And maybe in some situations the coach may be talking about lifting the opponent’s head up rather than saying his wrestler’s head should be up.

Okay, back to cliches.

Good mix of both for me, lift their head or our head. 

Side note, this thread had me in my head all day Saturday. I'm still pretty new to the corner, and I say a lot of things in this thread lol.  

2 hours ago, SSHS said:

If the pinning wrestler's head is on the ground for a nelson, it usually is supporting weight, which takes weight off the opponent. I often yell head up when our wrestler's chin is on their opponent, as this is a reason why the top shoulder stays high. 

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Good mix of both for me, lift their head or our head. 

Side note, this thread had me in my head all day Saturday. I'm still pretty new to the corner, and I say a lot of things in this thread lol.  

I yell "lift both heads" a lot. 

Are we getting trolled?