Crown Point vs Mt Carmel

1 hour ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Sergio is a great kid and from the Region.  I'm a fan.  I have personally watched Sergio and Jesse live wrestle in practice and it's not very close.

Mendez will win by bonus, maybe TF

Ragusin will win by bonus against Bouzakis, maybe TF

I tend to think Mendez will win by bonus too, since that's what he does to everyone this year. Despite me referencing it, I'm not sure the Bartlett match result is a great comparison since Bartlett has had some closer matches.

However, Lemley is bigger now and WAY better. He went UTB in the Illinois semi-finals last year with the kid who is currently #4 on the depth chart at 125 at NC State. Then Lemley won his state title last year 3-2 in a very tight final over a current Illinois backup who's lost 3 times to D2 guys this year. Meanwhile, Sergio is ranked #19 and almost took out #2 as a true freshman. He's leveled WAY up.

8 hours ago, maligned said:

I tend to think Mendez will win by bonus too, since that's what he does to everyone this year. Despite me referencing it, I'm not sure the Bartlett match result is a great comparison since Bartlett has had some closer matches.

However, Lemley is bigger now and WAY better. He went UTB in the Illinois semi-finals last year with the kid who is currently #4 on the depth chart at 125 at NC State. Then Lemley won his state title last year 3-2 in a very tight final over a current Illinois backup who's lost 3 times to D2 guys this year. Meanwhile, Sergio is ranked #19 and almost took out #2 as a true freshman. He's leveled WAY up.

This match didn't happen. Michigan came out rolling, up 9-0 through two matches that should have been close, forfeited to Jesse to keep the momentum--and dropped two huge upsets late (including Davison) to lose 20-19. Jesse was super ticked at the time, but he got the last laugh.

28 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Lemley got flagged for a skin issue. Michigan didn't have a backup on the trip as they can only travel with 3 backups.

Ah, I missed that. I was in the arena and they didn't give an explanation. Jesse acted super annoyed as if he'd just found out on the mat, so I assumed it was an in-the-moment decision.

Edited by maligned

On 1/16/2024 at 7:30 PM, hook and half said:

"crown point is built for this"

Looks like you may get to hear more garbage statements like this because he’s still commentating for RSN/IHSAATV.  If you want anymore ignorant quotes just watch the Crown Point Sectional Semi & Finals broadcast.  

On 1/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, TrueRegionFan said:

Sergio is a great kid and from the Region.  I'm a fan.  I have personally watched Sergio and Jesse live wrestle in practice and it's not very close.

Mendez will win by bonus, maybe TF

Sergio again proving last night he's leveled WAY up. He's now recently lost 7-5 to #2 Bartlett (who beat Jesse last night, 4-1 in SV) and majored #1 Woods. If we see Lemley/Mendez at Big 10s or NCAAs, it's going to be a war.

6 minutes ago, maligned said:

If we see Lemley/Mendez at Big 10s or NCAAs, it's going to be a war.

All in for this.  Both have risen to a top level quick. Just a matter of who can make the right adjustments in Big10 and NCAA to ensure they can make a big run.  

44 minutes ago, maligned said:

Sergio again proving last night he's leveled WAY up. He's now recently lost 7-5 to #2 Bartlett (who beat Jesse last night, 4-1 in SV) and majored #1 Woods. If we see Lemley/Mendez at Big 10s or NCAAs, it's going to be a war.

Sergio looked great, super happy for him!  I especially like the fact that he kept moving forward and scoring with the lead.  Hate seeing guys shut it down and play defense to run out the clock. 

Clearly Sergio and Jesse are different wrestlers today compared to their high school days.  Both are excelling and levelling up.  Will be a great match to watch if it happens.