Steveson out, Mason Parris in at Senior Worlds

2 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

For the USA:

Richards 57 kg loses 1st match & is eliminated

Dake 74 kg is in the Finals

Marsteller 79 kg loses in the quarters, his opponent loses in the semi's so I think he is done

Valencia 92 kg loses in the quarters, his opponent advances to the finals - so he should be pulled into repechage

Maligned can you verify that my thoughts on Valencia & Marsteller are correct?

Yes, that's right. And Valencia should be favored to win his repechage and bronze matches that await.

USA update after day 2:

Vito 61 kg wins Gold

Retherford 70 kg wins Gold

Taylor 86 kg wins Gold

Parris 125 kg wins Bronze

Dake 74 kg advances to Finals

Valencia 92 kg is in Repechage

Up tomorrow:

Nick Lee 65 kg

Kyle Snyder 97 kg

USA leads the team race right now 110 over both Georgia & Iran who are tied at 65.

Nick Lee on Mat B right now (4:14 am central)...  Originally assigned to Mat C and switched.  OR, the text I got about Mat C was just wrong.

Lee wins his first match 6-0 over Poland.  The 65kg bracket is full of Americans or college wrestlers competing for other countries. 

Austin Gomez - Mexico (Lee's next opponent)
Josh Finesilver - Israel
Colin Realbuto - Italy
Sebastian Rivera - Puerto Rico
Lachlan McNeil - Canada

Edited by SWINfan

Nick wins his 2nd match with a fall over Austin Gomez.

Lee with a takedown and two exposures on a gut to take a 6-0 lead.  Gomez comes back with an exposure off a head pinch and gets a step out. Lee had it and got a little sloppy the last foot as he was walking him out and Gomez ends up getting the point, holding a toe in as they both went out.  Lee 6-3 at the break.

In the 2nd, Gomez tried to work his usual Greco style throws 3x.  Twice, both wrestlers went to the mat, yet neither scored and the 3rd time, Nick got the best of it, controlled Gomez on the way down and took him straight to his back, where he got the fall.

Lee now faces Jalolov of Uzbekistan in the 1/8 Round.  Jalolov finished 1st at 2018 & 2019 Cadet Worlds and 2022 U20 Worlds.  

Edited by SWINfan

Lee into the quarters. He took care of the matches we'd have expected. Now he gets the world champ.

Snyder in the quarters too, one step away from the monster match with Sadulaev. 

Page and Winchester, our first 2 ladies at this worlds, are also quarterfinalists.

14 minutes ago, maligned said:

Snyder in the quarters too, one step away from the monster match with Sadulaev. 

Maligned, why are they meeting in the semi's if this is the monster matchup? Why was Sadulaev not seeded higher?

Plus, what are your thoughts on the team race?

Unfortunately, Nick ran into a bit of a buzzsaw in defending World Champ Rahman Amouzadkhili from Iran.  Down 7-0, Lee hit a feet to back throw in the final :30, but couldn't hold him down to get the fall. making it a 7-4 loss.  Chances are good he'll get pulled into repechage and have a chance at a medal. 

24 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Snyder also loses in the quarter finals & needs his opponent to win his next match to be pulled into repechage.

Snyder moves in as Tazhudinov takes out Sadulaev.  Who thought neither Snyder nor Sadulaev would make the Final?

And unfortunately, a takedown with 5 seconds left keeps Nick Lee from the possibility of medaling.  And on the opposite side of the bracket, Sebastian Rivera makes the Final.  

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Maligned, why are they meeting in the semi's if this is the monster matchup? Why was Sadulaev not seeded higher?

Plus, what are your thoughts on the team race?

None of the Russians have been allowed to wrestle in the last year so they didn't have any ranking or seeding points.

Looks like we'll win the team race. 

Sadly, Nick got knocked out when the Iranian lost at the last second in the semis. He would have had a legit shot at bronze, or at least True 5th to qualify the weight for the Olympics.

Well, the same Russian background beast wrestling for Bahrain that crushed Snyder in the quarters, also smashed Sadulaev in the semis. There's a new king, apparently. Barring another upset, Snyder will face Sadulaev for BRONZE. Who predicted that?

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Snyder moves in as Tazhudinov takes out Sadulaev.  Who thought neither Snyder nor Sadulaev would make the Final?

And unfortunately, a takedown with 5 seconds left keeps Nick Lee from the possibility of medaling.  And on the opposite side of the bracket, Sebastian Rivera makes the Final.  

Good for Rivera, but this shows just how important these draws can be.

Tough for Nick. He loses to the defending World Champ who then gets upset in the next match. Also tough considering the US will not qualify 65 kg for the Oylmpics here.

What are the other opportunities to get 65 kg qualified?

7 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Good for Rivera, but this shows just how important these draws can be.

Tough for Nick. He loses to the defending World Champ who then gets upset in the next match. Also tough considering the US will not qualify 65 kg for the Oylmpics here.

What are the other opportunities to get 65 kg qualified?

Yeah, there was probably only 2 of the best 7 in the bottom half. One eliminated the other. The fresher Armenian upset the remaining stud and Seabass Rivera stunned the Armenian in a semifinal of maybe #12 vs #8. Draws definitely matter.

There's a Pan Am qualifier where we'd need top 2. Roadblocks there in the mostly blind draw system are Valdes of Cuba and Destribats of Argentina (eliminated us by pinning Zain last cycle; also lost a thriller to Yianni recently). No True 2nd, so you have to reach the final. 

If we fail at the Pan Am qualifier, there's a global last-chance qualifier where we need top 3. There is a True 3rd there. But a bunch of hammers are falling into the global pool because of the bracket nonsense today.

Stevan Micic is a World Champion! Even though he'd already dropped the '21 Olympic champ and the '22 World Champ, the Japanese, Higuchi, that he faced in the final is the consensus most talented 57kg athlete in the world. He hasn't been able to stay consistently down at the weight since taking silver at the Olympics in 2016. He won World gold last year up at 61kg. But not this year.

Micic takes out a murderers' row and wins gold!!!

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

Would top finishers from Worlds opt out of the other 2 qualifier tournaments? Would there be anything to gain by wrestling the other qualifiers? 

I feel that Nick will be watching video and try to decipher his last opponent.

They are strictly qualification tournaments for those that haven't qualified already.

51 minutes ago, maligned said:

Stevan Micic is a World Champion! Even though he'd already dropped the '21 Olympic champ and the '22 World Champ, the Japanese, Higuchi, that he faced in the final is the consensus most talented 57kg athlete in the world. He hasn't been able to stay consistently down at the weight since taking silver at the Olympics in 2016. He won World gold last year up at 61kg. But not this year.

Micic takes out a murderers' row and wins gold!!!

Maligned, can you elaborate your thoughts on the accusation about the blatant fleeing the mat call that got overturned in the Iran Wrestling thread?

Edited by SIACfan

I am very happy that Mason Parris got his chance & came away with a senior level World Bronze medal.

But as I have mentioned in the past, it really seems a shame to me to see someone with the potential of Gable Steveson waste his talents on the WWE.

Considering Mason nearly beat Petriashvili (who Gable beat for Olympic Gold), it leaves me wishing Gable would have attended these championships & we would have gotten to see him square off against the Iranian Zare who won Gold by beating Petriashvili 11-0.

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Unfortunately Kayla Miracle lost in the round of 16.

I believe this eliminates her from medal contention. Is this correct maligned?

I'm not in a spot to look over the brackets at the moment, but if the wrestlers that eliminated her make it to the finals she is still in and will have to wrestle back through the repachage.  However, if that wrestler gets eliminated before the finals, then Kayla is out.

58 minutes ago, MattM said:

I'm not in a spot to look over the brackets at the moment, but if the wrestlers that eliminated her make it to the finals she is still in and will have to wrestle back through the repachage.  However, if that wrestler gets eliminated before the finals, then Kayla is out.

You could be right, but it is my understanding that you must first make the quarter finals to be pulled into repechage. That is why I asked if I am correct.

I know maligned will know the answer. Are you sure that she is still eligible to be pulled into repechage when losing in the round of 16?

1 hour ago, MattM said:

After some research, it does appear you are correct that she could have been pulled in, but unfortunately her opponent lost in the quarters & Kayla is indeed eliminated from medal contention.