Some more stats from 2015 State

oldandbroke

Understandable.  Many have tried to skew the "bet" into being something confusing, which it is not.  I just wanted to make sure any late comers understood its simplicity.  I apologize for my implications of your views on class wrestling.

Ok bet me on this then...

you can have 10,000 chickens and i can have 150,000 chickens in our farms... You get to pick 700 of your chickens to run in a race and i will pick just 100 of mine... Of course this is after we have raised our chickens and had practice races with these chickens and sorted through to find our fastest chickens out of the options we have on the farm... I would bet you $1000 dollars that if i have 150,000 chickens to find just 100 fast ones out of that i would have more placers in the race...

Would you take me up on this bet? Because that is what you guys are asking...

In fact if i use enrollment data from joes page there are ~70k 1A kids enrolled in those schools and ~230k students in 2A schools... so really you could have 70k chickens and i will now have 230k...

But obviously just like student populations some will be girls that wont compete, some wont like running, some will like it but just wont be good enough to make varsity and so on. Just like what happens on the wrestling team...

Edited by Super_Fan

Ok bet me on this then...

you can have 10,000 chickens and i can have 150,000 chickens in our farms... You get to pick 700 of your chickens to run in a race and i will pick just 100 of mine... Of course this is after we have raised our chickens and had practice races with these chickens and sorted through to find our fastest chickens out of the options we have on the farm... I would bet you $1000 dollars that if i have 150,000 chickens to find just 100 fast ones out of that i would have more placers in the race...

Would you take me up on this bet? Because that is what you guys are asking...

In fact if i use enrollment data from joes page there are ~70k 1A kids enrolled in those schools and ~230k students in 2A schools... so really you could have 70k chickens and i will now have 230k...

From my experience with chickens if they are of the same breed they are all pretty equal. Plus, on top of that I design software to keep them alive and well fed, soooo let's do it!

This is what you aren't seeing. You are showing me reasons for a class system.

If I can tell you that 140-150 of the state qualifiers will be from group A and 20-30 from group B based on just one metric there is something wrong. We all understand that Carroll will have more state qualifiers than Prairie Heights. We know that because of the SIZE OF THE SCHOOL. 

The size of the school matters, we know that, we agree with that. 

However, you seem to miss the point being that a single class system is about everyone being equal. Single class system says no matter where you are from you have an equal opportunity to be a state qualifier/placer/champion. The statistics say that it is not equal.

Hopefully I'm reading you correctly is this what you want?

Class--Sect Enries----Qualifiers----Placers--
1A--999---27.97%--21----2.10%---5---0.50%
2A--1211--33.90%--62----5.12%--23---1.90%
3A--1362--38.13%--141--10.35%--84---6.17%

Just a quick translation 2.1% of the 1A wrestlers that enter the tournament qualify for state.

Class--Sect----Qualifiers----Placers--
1A---999--27.97%---21---9.38%---5----4.46%
2A--1211--33.90%---62--27.68%--23---20.54%
3A--1362--38.13%--141--62.95%--84---75.00%

Quick translation, 9.38% of the state qualifiers are from 1A, while they represent 27.97% of the entries.

These numbers are pretty revealing.  If a classed tournament is what the majority want perhaps the IHSWCA discussion with the IHSAA should be tied to the team and not the individual.  If the average is roughly 9.9 wrestlers in the tournament for a 1A team and 13.6 for the 3A schools, the 3A school has a huge advantage for winning a sectional title.  Taking for granted the talent is evenly dispersed as many on this discussion line believe.

Here is some of the Semi State data...

For Semi State it comes out to 18.5% for 1A and 28.2% for 2A and 53.3% for 3A.

I would imagine that the 1A % is even higher at Regional giving the conclusion that advancement is tougher for wrestlers at 1A schools. This would be consistent with the % dropping from state qualifiers to state placers to state champs

Point #1

Im guessing a little of the disparity comes from uneven number of 1A, 2A and 3A schools at each sectional but the downward trend from 18.5% semi state qualifier, roughly 13% state qualifier, 8% state placer, 0% State champ indicates that the higher up you go the more difficult it is for 1A schools. This is all compared to 13% of total school population (You will never get me to buy-in to just looking at sectional entries).

Point #2

All that being said... if you took identical twins and put 1 at Carroll and 1 at Churabusco I believe they have the same chance at being a state qualifier. Neither would have to "work harder" than the other. If they put in the same amount of work then they should both have the same chance at being a SQ.

If you believe that point #1 is so unfair that we should give those kids more opportunities to reach the state by basically having 2 state tournaments then you are typically for class wrestling.

If you believe point #2 that any kid has a shot as an individual in an individual sport then you are typically against class wrestling.

Is either stance wrong? I don't think so... I think they are just different. We can talk about chickens and make belief varsity rosters or raw data but at the end of the day it comes down to a difference of opinion and not who is wrong or right. At least that is my opinion. ;)

From my experience with chickens if they are of the same breed they are all pretty equal. Plus, on top of that I design software to keep them alive and well fed, soooo let's do it!

This is what you aren't seeing. You are showing me reasons for a class system.

If I can tell you that 140-150 of the state qualifiers will be from group A and 20-30 from group B based on just one metric there is something wrong. We all understand that Carroll will have more state qualifiers than Prairie Heights. We know that because of the SIZE OF THE SCHOOL. 

The size of the school matters, we know that, we agree with that. 

However, you seem to miss the point being that a single class system is about everyone being equal. Single class system says no matter where you are from you have an equal opportunity to be a state qualifier/placer/champion. The statistics say that it is not equal.

With this example though we are talking about a TEAM. We are not saying who would have the very fastest chicken out of all of them. Your smaller group could very well have the fastest chicken out of all of them

The question with your #2 is this...

The kid at Carroll gets to practice with more high level partners during the season. He sees a tougher schedule, he has more coaches to work with him. He also does one sport, because the ABC team doesn't need him.  The Churubusco kid plays another sport because the ABC team could use a good runner/thrower/linebacker. 

Who succeeds more?

Throw out the multi-sport part and who succeeds more?

I am a little curious where the thought of everyone having an equal chance of winning a state title came from.  My son was at a large school, but was at 152 this year, tough Evansville semi-state (3 state placers) and Forte among others if he got through Evansville.  We had 6 quarter-finalist and a state qualifier on the team, trained hard, kept his body fat down all year, wrestled 13 top 10 ten opponents this year, he had everything in his favor to perform well this year but lost to Dunn who placed 4th in the go round (they had a tremendous match just before sectional).  He had an equal opportunity, but we knew it was an uphill battle and he had to be on the top of his game.  He went the weight that he was best at and best for the team as well, but we were under no delusion that he didn't need some breaks to get to the podium and a lot of good luck to get to the highest steps.  But he trained hard for 4 years to take advantage of every opportunity he got, no regrets, it just didn't happen for him. 

Not a defeatist attitude or lack of confidence, but a reality the same as life, sometime life is hard and that is the thing about this sport, it molds young men to be more prepared for life.  I do believe that classing the individual tournament will get more kids out, most kids want an opportunity to win, and by having more classes we could provide more opportunities. 

Edited by randalllynch

The question with your #2 is this...

The kid at Carroll gets to practice with more high level partners during the season. He sees a tougher schedule, he has more coaches to work with him. He also does one sport, because the ABC team doesn't need him.  The Churubusco kid plays another sport because the ABC team could use a good runner/thrower/linebacker. 

Who succeeds more?

Throw out the multi-sport part and who succeeds more?

I'm going with the multi-sport kid. There is a lot of new data coming out about increased injuries with kids focusing on 1 sport. This is happening because of the same movement and stress on the same areas of the body!!!!!!

Why not do it now? Why prove you can win an easier title first? Maybe that team can win a 3A title, but you'll never know if you don't move up now.

When we prove that we can win/dominate the division we are in now we will move up. We are nowhere close to being the dominant team or even a consistent top team in our division. We have ALOT of work to do to get our program to that level. If we ever get there we would move up.

Edited by swain358

Hopefully you can follow this, I added "JV" numbers. I put 1A at 1.3 so an average of 18 wrestlers on each team, 2A with 23, 3A with 30. I might be a little high, but who knows.

Sect JV Percentage
1A-- 999--- 1300-- 20.63%
2A-- 1211-- 2000-- 31.75%
3A-- 1362-- 3000-- 47.62%

****Note I suck at math.  If there are errors I apologize, they are unintentional.****

Thanks for the numbers, I hope I can follow it too.  I personally think those numbers are a little bit low for 2a and 3a so I am going to bump them up a bit.  

1a  1300 18.57%  41.6

2a  2200 31.43%  69.44

3a  3500  50%      112

Still skewed, but not as drastic.

7000 wrestlers statewide for 224 qualifiers giving every wrestler a 3.2% chance to qualify for state.  If we become 3 classes that bumps qualifiers up to 672, which gives each wrestler a nearly 10% chance to qualify to state which seems insanely high to me.  On top of that, it would give a 1a wrestler a 17.23% chance to qualify for state which seems watered down to me, a 10% chance for a 2a wrestler, and a 6% chance for a 3a wrestler.  Classing with those numbers makes a random 1a wrestler almost 3x as likely to qualify for state than a 3a wrestler based solely on nothing except school size which hardly seems fair.  

I  know you prefer 2 classes instead of 3, and admittedly on paper if every wrestler is created equal then this would give every wrestler an equal shot.  These numbers conveniently show half of all wrestlers coming from 3a, so if we were to use two classes as an example instead of 3, the best place to split it up would be 1a and 2a combined into one class and 3a in another.  This would set the number of qualifiers at 448 with 3500 wrestlers per class, or 6.4% chance per wrestler.  This does succeed in giving every wrestler an equal chance on paper.

The problem with this is there is 0 chance the ihsaa would allow the classification to be determined by the number of total wrestlers.  Using varsity only is unfair to the thousands excluded, and in regards to population it is already pretty accurate with 13% of the population coming from smaller schools accounted for 13% of the qualifiers, so I see need to change.   

Personally I still think each twin has the same opportunity going to Carroll or Churabusco especialy if you take out multiple sports.

How about if  those twins each are heavyweights who are 285 pounds. Twin #1 at the big school has 2 other guys over 250lbs to practice with. Twin #2 at the little school has a guy who wrestles 220 but only weighs 188lbs. The next biggest guy he has to practice with weighs under 180lbs. Do you still think they have the same chance to get to state?

I'll use the real numbers for you

Approximately 300,000 students in Indiana, that means 1 out of 20,000 are state champs. There are just under 40,000 students in 1A...yet ZERO champs, there are  just over 70,000 in 2A, one champ. Last year we still had zero 1A champs, luckily we had 4 2A champs and 10 3A. In 2013, we had 1 1A champ, WAHOOO finally a 1A champ when we should have 2 a year.

Something's wrong here, because if your calculations are right these schools are not getting the champs they should be getting.

yawn....i tire of your 3 class numbers for a 2 class argument.

****Note I suck at math.  If there are errors I apologize, they are unintentional.****

Thanks for the numbers, I hope I can follow it too.  I personally think those numbers are a little bit low for 2a and 3a so I am going to bump them up a bit.  

1a  1300 18.57%  41.6

2a  2200 31.43%  69.44

3a  3500  50%      112

Still skewed, but not as drastic.

7000 wrestlers statewide for 224 qualifiers giving every wrestler a 3.2% chance to qualify for state.  If we become 3 classes that bumps qualifiers up to 672, which gives each wrestler a nearly 10% chance to qualify to state which seems insanely high to me.  On top of that, it would give a 1a wrestler a 17.23% chance to qualify for state which seems watered down to me, a 10% chance for a 2a wrestler, and a 6% chance for a 3a wrestler.  Classing with those numbers makes a random 1a wrestler almost 3x as likely to qualify for state than a 3a wrestler based solely on nothing except school size which hardly seems fair.  

I  know you prefer 2 classes instead of 3, and admittedly on paper if every wrestler is created equal then this would give every wrestler an equal shot.  These numbers conveniently show half of all wrestlers coming from 3a, so if we were to use two classes as an example instead of 3, the best place to split it up would be 1a and 2a combined into one class and 3a in another.  This would set the number of qualifiers at 448 with 3500 wrestlers per class, or 6.4% chance per wrestler.  This does succeed in giving every wrestler an equal chance on paper.

The problem with this is there is 0 chance the ihsaa would allow the classification to be determined by the number of total wrestlers.  Using varsity only is unfair to the thousands excluded, and in regards to population it is already pretty accurate with 13% of the population coming from smaller schools accounted for 13% of the qualifiers, so I see need to change.   

The NFHS participation stats show Indiana had 7500 wrestlers last year, so we both may be a little low.

I definitely would not be opposed to a 1A/2A class and a 3A class, but like you said it would be tough to get through the IHSAA. There are quite a few states that do something similar in combining classes.

Based on two even classes this is probably what we see

Class---Wrestlers-------Qual---

1A---2400---35.29%----46---20.54%
2A---4400---64.71%---178---79.46%

Again, an even greater disparity.

To me this is a BIG problem in a one class environment, to others this is how it should be. I cannot fathom telling kids, well "you aren't supposed to make it to state because you're from a small school." 

I'm going with the multi-sport kid. There is a lot of new data coming out about increased injuries with kids focusing on 1 sport. This is happening because of the same movement and stress on the same areas of the body!!!!!!

Well guess what? I actually have twins at Carroll right now. One is wrestling only, the other does cross country and track also. I believe the one that did cross country lettered this year on a top 10 team, so he's a good athlete.

That's nothing new, nor is it earth shattering. From what I have seen at Carroll is kids usually start to specialize as freshmen or sophomores when they realize they need to put in more time just to be varsity in one sport instead of half time to be JV in two.

Yet in Indiana our state association sponsors a tournament that demands year round commitment as early as possible to compete at the state level.  Illogical.

Wrestling numbers down?

Total Male Participation

Year                        Male Wrestlers                     Male Teams                         Avg per Teams

1970                       226,681                                 6870                                       33.00

1972                       265,039                                 7587                                       34.93

1974                       319,048                                 9130                                       34.95

1976                       355,160                                 9772                                       36.34

1977                       355,160                                 9772                                       36.34

1978                       338,328                                 9653                                       35.05

1979                       281,704                                 8683                                       32.44

1980                       273,326                                 8751                                       31.23

1981                       245,026                                 8512                                       28.79

1982                       256,107                                 8869                                       28.88

1983                       254,581                                 8272                                       30.78

1984                       248,300                                 8273                                       30.01

1985                       244,598                                 8722                                       28.04

1986                       247,653                                 8724                                       28.39

1987                       251,281                                 8426                                       29.82

1988                       246,771                                 8358                                       29.53

1989                       242,064                                 8839                                       27.39

1990                       233,856                                 8416                                       27.79

1991                       230,673                                 8404                                       27.45

1992                       229,908                                 8392                                       27.40

1993                       222,025                                 8438                                       26.31

1994                       223,433                                 8538                                       26.17

1995                       216,453                                 8559                                       25.29

1996                       221,162                                 8677                                       25.49

1997                       227,596                                 8738                                       26.05

1998                       229,176                                 8900                                       25.75

1999                       235,973                                 9022                                       26.16

2000                       239,105                                 9046                                       26.43

2001                       244,984                                 9404                                       26.05

2002                       244,637                                 9578                                       25.54

2003                       239,845                                 9543                                       25.13

2004                       238,700                                 9526                                       25.06

2005                       243,009                                 9562                                       25.41

2006                       251,534                                 9744                                       25.81

2007                       257,346                                 9445                                       27.25

2008                       259,688                                 10,090                                   25.74

2009                       267,378                                 10,311                                   25.93

2010                       272,890                                 10,363                                   26.33

2011                       273,732                                 10,407                                   26.30

2012                       272,149                                 10,407                                   26.15

2013                       270,163                                 10,488                                   25.76

2014                       269,514                                 10,688                                   25.22

DATA PROVIDED BY NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL FEDERATION OF ASSOCIATIONS

You ask why I am not in favor of classing........My answer is that we have what most do not have.  We have a system that finds the best of the best.  We have a product that we can brand, not only to colleges but to kids.  Wrestling is one of those sports that teaches you get what you put forth.  If you don't get what you want, you push yourself harder if you want more.  Is there a benefit to being at a larger school? Maybe, if a program is set up and tons other reasons that have been stated.  A larger size of school might impact numbers and quality to the good, but they can also hurt those numbers.  To me the fight isn't class wrestling but on how to improve the wrestling in Indiana to stay in that top 10 and improve toward the state with the best wrestling.  Growth starts at the little kid level by introducing as many little kids to wrestling as possible. 

Envisioning Elite Status: The Foundation for Legendary Branding

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsite/Blog/marketing-mayhem/2012/12/03/envisioning-elite-status-the-foundation-for-legendary-branding

You ask why I am not in favor of classing........My answer is that we have what most do not have.  We have a system that finds the best of the best.  We have a product that we can brand, not only to colleges but to kids.

Colleges don't care if it's a one class or multi-class tournament. Our "brand" hurts our kid's chances of getting looked at by colleges. Our "brand" hurts kids more than having a stupid spotlight helps it.

Wrestling is one of those sports that teaches you get what you put forth.  If you don't get what you want, you push yourself harder if you want more.

This doesn't change in Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, New Mexico, or any state class or no class. Bad argument.

Is there a benefit to being at a larger school? Maybe, if a program is set up and tons other reasons that have been stated.  A larger size of school might impact numbers and quality to the good, but they can also hurt those numbers.

We have statistics to prove that being at a larger school is beneficial. No maybe about this.

To me the fight isn't class wrestling but on how to improve the wrestling in Indiana to stay in that top 10 and improve toward the state with the best wrestling.  Growth starts at the little kid level by introducing as many little kids to wrestling as possible. 

Envisioning Elite Status: The Foundation for Legendary Branding

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsite/Blog/marketing-mayhem/2012/12/03/envisioning-elite-status-the-foundation-for-legendary-branding

Our state has a very well organized and healthy youth structure. What separates us from other states is our depth of quality wrestlers.

One great way is to get more kids to put more time into the offseason. I was talking to a young lad last night and he was talking how half his team's varsity wrestlers won't put time in the offseason. The reason is they know they already have a varsity spot locked up for next year, so they work on football or track or go play kissy face with a girl. However, at another school I've seen 10 of our returning starters putting time in already.

By the way I'll ask Coyte in a couple weeks what he thinks of class wrestling and our "brand."

Colleges don't care if it's a one class or multi-class tournament. Our "brand" hurts our kid's chances of getting looked at by colleges. Our "brand" hurts kids more than having a stupid spotlight helps it.

Not all kids go to college and a high school experience might be the highlight in their life and that silly spotlight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.