Tracking IU, Purdue, Howe, Tsirtsis, Petrov, Harvey (mat #'s, results, etc.)

maligned

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrov can scramble with anyone and he's got a motor...I just think he's a tad thin to bang with top D1 125s.  I would love to see him fill out into a more muscular 133-pounder.

Day 2 morning session starts at 11 eastern/10 central.  Here's the order:

Wrestleback rounds 2/3 on Mats 1,2,7,8:

125: Petrov, Mat 1, FIRST MATCH

157: Walsh

165: Leblanc

174: Harvey

197: Atwood

Quarterfinals (same time as wrestlebacks) on Mats 3-6:

133: Quiroga, Mat 4, SECOND MATCH

149: Tsirtsis, Mat 5, FOURTH MATCH

174: Howe

285: Chalfant

Prospectus for the remaining guys we're tracking:

Quarterfinalists:

#7 Quiroga: In the quarters against the #2 Schopp of Edinboro.  Would need to beat the 2, 3, and 1 to win the title.  Win in the quarters clinches all-american status.  If he loses, he'll most likely have the #4 Morrison of OK St. (who got stuck in the 2nd round) in the wrestlebacks in his second attempt to be an all-american.

#5 Tsirtsis: The good news is that he's the 3rd highest remaining seed.  The bad news is that he has to beat the defending 141-pound champ in the quarters and the #1 seed in the semi's just to make the finals (the other side of the bracket is all double digit seeds left).  If he loses to the champ, Maple, in the quarters, he'll probably see the #7 Sako of VA in his back-up shot at medalling.

#2 Howe: All the best seeds remain.  Kokesh in the semi's and Perry in the finals will be wars.

#3 Chalfant: Should be a clear favorite in the quarters against the surprising #11 Marsden, and I really think the three biggest threats to his championship aspirations are all on the other side of the bracket.  I think his intensity, activity, and motor will get him through the next two opponents that don't know him like the Big 10 rivals battling it out in the other half.

Wrestlebacks:

(UN) Petrov: Has a surprisingly feasible path to being an all-american.  He's got the #15 Zanetti from Pitt, then the winner of two no-seeds, and then most likely another unseeded wrestler.  All 3 of his probable opponents have better season and/or tournament wins than him, but it's not an unworkable task.

#11 Walsh: He'll be a slight favorite in the next two, and then would have either #1 Green or #9 Ness in the all-american round.  Both of those guys destroyed him during the year, so it's not a favorable outlook.

(UN) Leblanc: First match this morning is winnable, but then he'd have #13 Yates of Michigan, who just beat him 4-0 and then most likely #7 Harger of NW, who's beaten him 3 times by an average of 6-1, in the all-american round.

(UN) Harvey: Like others, needs 3 wins to medal.  Two of those will need to be over #11 and #9.  He's wrestled very well so far, but he'll need a lot to go his way.

#15 Atwood: Has the most difficult wrestleback path by far of the ones we're tracking.  Needs to beat #16, then #7 or #9, then #4 or #5, just to medal.

Quiroga loses a tough one 11-7 to Schopp. Schopp rides tough with that back headlock out to the side and running a tilt off of it getting about 3.5-4 minutes of riding time out of it. Quiroga was down big in the 3rd and made a run to get it to close but the blood time slowed any momentum he had going. Good match though.

What was the thought process putting him down in the second after getting balled on?

That's what I was wondering. Should have went neutral. Quiroga was much faster then Schopp should have used that in the 2nd period. Schopp controlled him with no problem that 2nd period. I thought Schopp did a little stalling just to wear Cashe out, but ref never forced him for a turn but did warn Cashe after a few.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.