Class-by-class semi-state and state statistics

maligned

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New Jersey also does not have the disparity between the bigger and small schools as Indiana does.

I am confused. Is the point of classed wrestling to get more exposure for more wrestlers? If so then not having classes would hurt NJ correct?

Or is the purpose of it so schools can hang a banner? The argument you have always presented was the first. If that is the case then not having classes should hurt NJ.

They say ohio and indiana are different because they have a much large talent pool and that is why there class system works and why they are one of the top wrestling states. Well thats the same as 3a and 1a. Larger talent pool. But what ever. Things are not going to change no mater how much we debate it. Heading to bankers life. Good luck everyone. Maybe some tiny school will get on the map today.

My question after looking at this data is if the data is proportional to the number of kids wrestling.

The majority of 3A schools fill their lineup... In 2A there are les teams with a full lineup... And in 1A there is even more teams that do not have a full lineup... 

So if there are less wrestlers in 1A then shouldn't they have less state qualifiers than 3A or 2A?

1A and 2A teams that consistently have full lineups tend to perform well and have some state qualifiers and placers on a regular basis ( Adams Central, Yorktown, South Adams, Jay County, Garrett, etc..)

Is it all proportional ?

I made that point years ago...classers left it alone then and every time its mentioned so I assume " whats that got to do with anything"

What evidence shows that it stunts the growth for small schools.... While you were at Garrett you started having success...l more qualifiers and more placers... Was the lack of class wrestling stunting the growth of that program?

There are numerous large schools who are not good at wrestling at all but those schools are never talked about... So single class wrestling does not benefit those schools at all....

genius !

One last reply on this topic..  Like I said earlier, I coach a small 1A school, one of the smallest.  the kids on my team are very talented, work hard, listen to instructions, and have a lot of fun with the sport.  But, I believe the main reasons that none of them are competing tonight are:

- None of them are extremely gifted naturally.

- They don't work hard enough in the off-season.

- Very few of them have any ISWA/HYWAY/Club experiance and those that do don't have much.

- Most don't have a great enough passion for the sport.

- Those that have the passion don't get the proper support at home.

None of these reasons have to do with us being a 1A school.  Granted, the larger the school the more access kids have to clubs/camps etc..  But, if any one of my wrestlers really wanted to get to state they could do it barring injury.  You've just got to have the proper commitment, the kids competing tonight have paid the price of admission.

Check out Jeff Scott, 1A school, won semi-state..  We don't need a classed individual state, we just need to get more kids to love wrestling enough to be willing to pay the price.

One last reply on this topic..  Like I said earlier, I coach a small 1A school, one of the smallest.  the kids on my team are very talented, work hard, listen to instructions, and have a lot of fun with the sport.  But, I believe the main reasons that none of them are competing tonight are:

- None of them are extremely gifted naturally.

- They don't work hard enough in the off-season.

- Very few of them have any ISWA/HYWAY/Club experiance and those that do don't have much.

- Most don't have a great enough passion for the sport.

- Those that have the passion don't get the proper support at home.

None of these reasons have to do with us being a 1A school.  Granted, the larger the school the more access kids have to clubs/camps etc..  But, if any one of my wrestlers really wanted to get to state they could do it barring injury.  You've just got to have the proper commitment, the kids competing tonight have paid the price of admission.

Check out Jeff Scott, 1A school, won semi-state..  We don't need a classed individual state, we just need to get more kids to love wrestling enough to be willing to pay the price.

Great insight Hornet. Thank you for sharing your situation. I agree 100% with you.

My question after looking at this data is if the data is proportional to the number of kids wrestling.

The majority of 3A schools fill their lineup... In 2A there are les teams with a full lineup... And in 1A there is even more teams that do not have a full lineup... 

So if there are less wrestlers in 1A then shouldn't they have less state qualifiers than 3A or 2A?

1A and 2A teams that consistently have full lineups tend to perform well and have some state qualifiers and placers on a regular basis ( Adams Central, Yorktown, South Adams, Jay County, Garrett, etc..)

Is it all proportional ?

Total sectional participants per class (not including a handful of participants with less than 10 matches wrestled and not placing top 6 at sectional):

3A: 1301 (21% advancement rate to 2nd round of semi-state)

104 schools; 12.5 per lineup

2A: 1160 (12% to 2nd round of semi-state)

104 schools; 11.2 per lineup

1A: 945  (4% to 2nd round of semi-state)

105 schools; 9.0 per lineup

(late addition of Madison Shawe)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.