Why does this happen?

decbell1

It sounds like we are discussing several different issues.

1. Safety of an inexperienced wrestler.

2. Dodging a stud to pad a good wrestler's record.

3. Juggling lineup to increase team's chance of winning.

1 and 3 can be justified.  2 probably does harm for both wrestlers involved.

I have seen teams wrestle a guy all day, then send in their jv guy.

I have seen this strategy a lot over the years, and done by good teams as well as not so good teams.  Strategy is always presented as the reason.

i have seen it happen once where a stud went out against an inexperienced wrestler (first year) and the stud got injured because the inexperienced wrestler didnt know an actual wrestling move. needless to say, the stud wrestled thru the state series injured and didnt perform as well as he could have. A year later, I saw the same stud request to the other coach to allow one of the more experienced wrestlers in the lineup to bump up to wrestle him to avoid injury. They did so and all was good.

Let me add a 4th reason

A team has two good wrestlers in the same weight and the coach gives the close 2nd a chance in the lineup in a multi meet super duel.  Slatton 170 from Penn ranked 11th, beat Bates 9-1 and lost in overtime in a close match to Sopko but was defeated in wrestle off by Osborn.  Although Osborn is #1, Slatton deserves some time in the limelight and will represent us well when given the opportunity.  It takes effort and finesse to keep a deep lineup interested and motivated.

to answer bgmak, yes an inexperienced wrestler could injure an experienced wrestler but I would think that would be unlikely.  Injury to the inexperienced wrestler is also uncommon if the goal of the experienced wrestler is not to injure his opponent.  Most wrestlers know the difference and those who don't need coaches to teach them.

I don't understand all the issues that lost us the team championship with the IHSAA but I fail to see how this issue contributed.  To me having the possibility of juggling the lineup adds to the drama of the meet.  Putting less than your best team out doesn't seem like a good strategy for winning, although it may be beneficial for your team to move a good wrestler up and put a good JV in his place.

i have seen it happen once where a stud went out against an inexperienced wrestler (first year) and the stud got injured because the inexperienced wrestler didnt know an actual wrestling move. needless to say, the stud wrestled thru the state series injured and didnt perform as well as he could have. A year later, I saw the same stud request to the other coach to allow one of the more experienced wrestlers in the lineup to bump up to wrestle him to avoid injury. They did so and all was good.

so the stud wasn't good enough to avoid a beginners "funk"? 

I don't understand all the issues that lost us the team championship with the IHSAA but I fail to see how this issue contributed.  To me having the possibility of juggling the lineup adds to the drama of the meet.  Putting less than your best team out doesn't seem like a good strategy for winning, although it may be beneficial for your team to move a good wrestler up and put a good JV in his place.

I suggest that team state was lost due to a competitive imbalance at the regional level and a general lack of revenue generated at any of the events.  The "dodging" at the team state is a symptom of the competitive imbalance and not a cause.  From all accounts, the IHSWCA event, which happens to be classed, is a much more competitive event.  It remains to be seen if it can turn a consistent profit and a competitive product, but rest assured that if profit is there, the IHSAA will take a closer look at it in the future.

I suppose this is something that can happen, even though I've never seen this situation in the the 25 years I've watched wreslting.  But I suppose it could happen.  Ive seen studs injure beginning wrestlers.    Warning is taken.  We'll add this to the checklist:  Studs be very careful and try to avoid those easy matches with beginners  because they're dangerous. 

I see no problem at all with a coach deciding to not wrestle a kid if it is going to do nothing for the team or the kid.  If you have a kid that is pretty much on the edge of hating wrestling because he is getting no success why should you throw him to the lions?  It doesn't do the kid or our sport any good.  The kid will probably quit at the end of the season and have a bad attitude about wrestling.  As a matter of fact I think more coaches should do this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.