Observations on Freestyle and Greco State

The people from Avon did a great job.  I think Avon parents, coaches and wrestlers all were a classy bunch.  They did their best with some challenging  situations.

I salute the ISWA pairings staff for trying something different with the staggered start times.  It did not work out.  I am not sure why.  Other states seems to have it work for them.  But I am so HAPPY to see the ISWA break out of the old model and try something new.  I’m sure plenty of lessons were learned for improvement for the next time.

Mark Mundy does a great job running those officials for ISWA.  There are many kids who will never know Mark, but old timers like me have watched that guy for forever sacrificing his own time, money and effort.  Mark is about as genuinely good as they come.

Love the ‘State Championship Mat’ for the finals.  However, things just get too backed up.  If possible, it would be nice to have another second mat with a video camera also for finals matches.

There were many kids who just didn’t know how to wrestle freestyle or Greco.  More than I have ever seen.  And I have been attending ISWA state since the beginning in the 80s.  So many matches took longer because refs were having to instruct even high school age kids how to line up or provided detailed explanation of a call.  Imop, the reason kids don’t understand freestyle or Greco is because they are not attending local tournaments.  They are going out of state for folkstyle.  I am not complaining about that, simply stating an opinion.  Oddly, the numbers were up at State this year for freestyle and Greco. 

I think either freestyle and Greco are going to become nearly extinct like the minor style of Sambo, or creative people are going to have to find a way to get more kids wrestling in local tournaments.

Most importantly, the wrestling community has to collaboratively have the highest standards at our State events.  I saw some pitiful displays of immaturity at Avon, especially by parents.  ISWA has really cracked down over the years on abuse, tabbacco, aggressive behavior and baiting.  I salute the ISWA for that.  However, all of us coaches, parents, grandparents also need to hold those around us in the stands accountable. 

There was an incident where a parent came downstairs out of the stands in the main gym and berate a group of refs for probably 2 minutes.  The guy was clueless (shouting folkstyle rules about stalling and locking hands) at the refs after a freestyle match his son lost.  (Imop, this is another byproduct of the lack of attendance at local tourneys.) The same guy came back on the floor a couple minutes later accusing the refs of intentionally throwing the match against his son.  It was lunacy at its apex.  The kind of lunacy that makes you want to have a metal detector at the door. This guy looked normal, but the second he opened his mouth everyone on that gym floor could tell he was a scary nutcase.

Later, a parent #1 in the coach’s box talk smack during and after a Novice match to the coach in the opposing corner.  The guy was clearly gloating about his kid winning.  Btw, his kid did not even end up placing.  A fellow coach on the same team tried to get parent #1 to calm down but the guy insisted on being an arse to the point of say stuff as he walked away.  He yelled, “He kicked your boy’s arse, I told you all he’d kick your arse!”  Keep in mind, these were roughly ten year olds.

There was also an incident where a parent of a schoolboy yelled repeatedly from the stands at the kids opponent, “We got your number.  You will never beat ABCD again cause we got your number.”  When other adults seated in the stands around him gave unfavorable looks for the poor sportsmanship, the parent said to us, “I don’t care what the f#@$ you think.  ABCD is a national champion.”  Keep in mind, this was the 5/6 place match.  Go figure.  Then the same parent started up again with his aggressive baiting of the probably 13 year old schoolboy.

It was very frustrating to watch.  ISWA and Avon did the best they could at the event.  I just think the rest of us need to really be more quick to report to the police or ISWA when we see this type of behavior.

Thanks for the kind words for the Avon wrestling family. We are happy for the opportunity to host this event and hope to do so for a long time. I know it was discussed to move champ matches to small gym and use both mats, and put podium in the wrestling room. The issues on the delay early in the day Sat. I was told were computer related wasn't there til later, when I pulled in everyone was filling out after the fire alarm was pulled. So not much you do there, but I guess it also adds to the parenting issues. Sun. Went very smooth IMO we would have been out by 4:30 if not for the impromptu clinic by Sam Hazewinkel and Nick Hull for Avon wrestlers who all worked the entire weekend setting up, tearing down and running scoreboards. Nice job by all the Avon parents and staff. And a huge thank you to Nancy Rassbach and Angela Blevins who where there for the entire event.

Numbers were up Walt but the 15 extra kids at freestyle and 54 in Greco isnt a big boost. But you're right they will drop to the level of "minor style" as long as there are folkstyle oppurtunities out there. it comes down to whos ok with that. I can live with that. The top tier athletes will always attend these events. as there really isn't anything else going on. Those "regional" level kids will get just as much out of folkstyle or freestyle as fundementals of general wrestling will be the key in thier growth. Competition oppurtunities can be made and dont have to be tournaments. Coaches need to start thinking outside the box bring in another club and just wrestle no medals or anything but officiated matches. Plan a "big trip" to train for and go to a larger tournament out of state(ie Disney, Militia Duals, Midwest Grand Challenge).  I know its frowned upon but thats a good way to give kids incentive to stay out and in the grand scheme of things its cheaper some schools are even starting to host their own tournemnets like this in Indiana. But I digress....

Avon did a fantastic job. I only stayed for the first session on Saturday because I had a funeral in Mishawaka to attend but that ran smoother than butter. It is nice to see the ISWA thinking outside the box and trying to make it run faster. Their will always be speed bumps the first time something new is done  but it will smooth out in the coming years so kudos to all involved in running the tournment. 

On Saturday the reffing was fantastic with very few of the "kiddie" refs.  Sunday however was a different story as there were numerous calls that made you scratch your head and even resulted in me going running three mats over to argue a call with a ref!

The facilities were great other than a ginger constantly hounding me for a free shirt.

I thought there was several good refs in particular the lady from Kentucky. Also, Dave did a great job clearly explaining who won each period.

I must have missed the rule changes though that says a wrestler can get 3 and 5 point moves by having his opponent land on his chest off a throw.

On sat. I personally saw the out of bounds rule used very inconsistantly.

I missed freestyle state but with the changes to the out of bounds this year I can see why it might not have been called correctly. It's very confusing. I opted to maintain the old rules in our community league.

Here was my observation for Cadet and Junior.  The numbers were lower than we normally see.

But with that said.  The competition was better.  It seems like only the wrestlers who are really

pushing themselves to get better are showing up.  It was a great 2 days for us.  We were out by

1:00 both days and had several great matches.

There was a post saying they were following the old rules at State

Old rules in terms of the foot completely going out, right?

Doesn't the new rules penalize the guy who blatantly pushes out the other guy? or if they are engaged in action, there is no penalty?

I honestly don't know and will admit that, like I said,  I wasn't at state and I just rolled w/ the tradtitional push out model this year.

Old rules in terms of the foot completely going out, right?

Yes sir, that is what they were using this weekend.

Doesn't the new rules penalize the guy who blatantly pushes out the other guy? or if they are engaged in action, there is no penalty?

Yes sir, aka a little more subjective

I did see one match that I had to question.  Wrestler A locked up with wrestler B in the center of the mat.

Drove him out 6 times in one period.  That seems like wrestler A is intentionally driving wrestler B out to score.

Not sure what the correct call is there.

I did see one match that I had to question.  Wrestler A locked up with wrestler B in the center of the mat.

Drove him out 6 times in one period.  That seems like wrestler A is intentionally driving wrestler B out to score.

Not sure what the correct call is there.

That sounds exciting

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.