Indiana related NCAA Qualifiers (and possible wild-card entries)

MattM

Here are IU and PU. 

IU Automatic Bids:

Joe Duca (125 lbs) 7th at Big 10 , Adam Chalfant (285 lbs) 5th at Big 10,  and Ryan LeBlanc (165 lbs) 7th @ Big 10

IU Wild-Card Possibilities:

Taylor Walsh (157 lbs) 8th at Big 10  and maybe Luke Sheridan (184 lbs) 8th at Big 10

PU Automatic Bids:

Bradon Nelsen (141 lbs) 4th at Big 10, Ivan Lopouchanski (149 lbs) 3rd at Big 10, Chad Welch (174 lbs) 8th at Big 10 and Braden Atwood (197 lbs) 8th at Big 10.

PU Wild-Card Possibilities:

Camden Eppert (125 lbs) 8th at big 10 , Cashe Quiroga (133 lbs) DNP at Big 10 and senior Tommy Churchard (157 lbs) DNP at Big 10.

Wildcards will be determined by the committee later in the week.

Looks like Purdue did not get the Wild Card at 125 or 133....

Wow! Cash not making NCAAs is crazy! He's definitely top 15 in the country even with his shortened season with injury. Had 2 losses at big 10 s but went toe to toe with Ramos! Cash definitely deserves to be at the NCAAs...

Honestly I don't think cashe should have deserved the wild call. He had a great season the regular season but he put himself in a bad position. He didn't get the wild card, and the big tens are tough, but I feel like it was in his hands. I feel like a nationally ranked, previous all American should have had a better showing.

Eppert probably had a better shot than Quiroga to get a wildcard.  Eppert had a few quality wins and Quiroga only had one.  His lack of overall matches is probably what doomed him in the first place.  The good thing is with the new system he had a shot even after a dismal Big 10 tournament.

157 - IU's Taylor Walsh makes it in as a wild-card entry too.

Here are the brackets: http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa/release/sites/default/files/files/DI-Wrestling-Brackets-2013-WR.pdf

I agree Cashe probably is one of the most deserving that was left out, but it fell on him to preform at Big10 and he couldn't quite do what was needed. With very little to go off of in terms of in-season match the selection committee probably placed a good deal of weight on his early consolation lose at Big 10' than they did his respectable match with Ramos.

I think Quiroga got hosed. He most definitely wasn't "supposed" to beat Ramos, so essentially it was one close upset that wrecked him. Eppert also had a solid resume. Feel very bad for both of them. Yeah, I know, they had it in their hands, yada yada, but one poor showing shouldn't completely erase everything else they have accomplished. We see it fairly regularly--guy tanks at Big 10s, gets a wild card and then makes a nice run in the NCAAs. I'm glad they threw Churchard and Walsh a bone, at least.

I hate to say it, but it looks like the chances are high for zero Indiana kids making it to the podium....again. Not trying to be negative, and few will be rooting harder than I will for all of them, but I'm afraid the drought continues this year. That said, best of luck to all our hard-working young fellas at the Big Dance.

Feel free to repost this if I'm wrong--I will happily eat my crow if I'm proven wrong.

I hate to say it, but it looks like the chances are high for zero Indiana kids making it to the podium....again. Not trying to be negative, and few will be rooting harder than I will for all of them, but I'm afraid the drought continues this year. That said, best of luck to all our hard-working young fellas at the Big Dance.

Feel free to repost this if I'm wrong--I will happily eat my crow if I'm proven wrong.

The first and second round draws for most of the Indiana guy places them against some of the top wrestlers at their weight, so it maybe a long run in the consolations (baring an upset) for either school to find an All-American.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.