Merrillville Observations

Butt Drag

1.  Man that Bobby Stevenson at 170 is fun to watch...he attacks, and attacks - there is not doubt this kid

is Pound for Pound the toughest.  Merrillville coaching staff should take some lessons from this kid - their other kids

cut far too much weight to be this entertaining.

2.  Sinkvicks at 106 very impressive

3.  Micic - what can you say - stud. Don't see a flaw in his game.

4.  Hughes - very impressive - pins Garcia again (not bad for a redshirt Freshman)

5.  Hartman - not taking anything away from a great effort by Burlison, but what was that?  He looked incredibly sloppy,

compared to what he has done in the past. He was flayling around like a JV wrestler in that final.

6.  Forte - Hot and cold.  Everyone knows he is talented, but his achiles heal is his conditioning.  It will be interesting

to see if he has improved that from last years state finals.   

7.  Gelen at 220 - definately upped his technique, desire, and hunger.  now i see why Sliga did not go up to 220  ;D ??? ::)

106: Jake Sinkovics is Nasty he looks like he was drilling i thought the Garza match would be closer not futher. How much difference a year makes Wow

113: Micic is on another Planet....I hope someone can give him a push in indy but i doubt it

120: Drew Hughes is a animal i'm on the Drew Hughes title train. Also Kalya Miracle Adam Garcia ticket rd round was a really good match

126: Denton/Fuqua was awesome I was surprised to see Fuqua get taken down. Good day for the DAC

132: Nice Job by Burlison hartman and Burlison was a really good match im sure Mitch will rebound and make a deep run in Indy

138: Tommy Forte looked awesome Anthony Mchugh looked awesome too hopefully he gets a medal

145: Macri looked tough i think 145 was a very even class

152: Ferdig and Schurg was a awesome match Ferdig jumping from 106 as a freshman looked really tough losing a tight one

160: Nice Job Maldonado he has improved so much hopefully he makes a deep run i still think Kenny hughes is one of the best 160s in the state and wouldnt be surprised to see him win a title

170: Bobby steveson is a take down machine i wouldnt be surtprised if he had 200+ takedowns this year Steveson vs Sopko #110 under the lights next weekend

182 Hurford for a title kids is awesome

195 Jacob Rick is a force looked like he took it to everyone

220 Gelen is a animal

285 Shakir Carr is huge

steck was awesome

106: Jake Sinkovics is Nasty he looks like he was drilling i thought the Garza match would be closer not futher. How much difference a year makes Wow

113: Micic is on another Planet....I hope someone can give him a push in indy but i doubt it

120: Drew Hughes is a animal i'm on the Drew Hughes title train. Also Kalya Miracle Adam Garcia ticket rd round was a really good match

126: Denton/Fuqua was awesome I was surprised to see Fuqua get taken down. Good day for the DAC

132: Nice Job by Burlison hartman and Burlison was a really good match im sure Mitch will rebound and make a deep run in Indy

138: Tommy Forte looked awesome Anthony Mchugh looked awesome too hopefully he gets a medal

152: Ferdig and Schurg was a awesome match Ferdig jumping from 106 as a freshman looked really tough losing a tight one

160: Nice Job Maldonado he has improved so much hopefully he makes a deep run i still think Kenny hughes is one of the best 160s in the state and wouldnt be surprised to see him win a title

170: Bobby steveson is a take down machine i wouldnt be surtprised if he had 200+ takedowns this year Steveson vs Sopko #110 under the lights next weekend

220 Gelen is a animal

285 Shakir Carr is huge

steck was awesome

Sam Ferdig handled a couple of tough calls that went against him with a lot of class.  I became a much bigger fan of him this weekend

Sam Ferdig handled a couple of tough calls that went against him with a lot of class.  I became a much bigger fan of his this weekend

Sam tries to handle EVERYTHING with class: win or lose. When he came back to the team in the bleachers, we were all disappointed and upset, and he was up there making everyone laugh and crackin jokes. Nothing could break that kid as long as HE is satisfied with how he wrestles.

Sam tries to handle EVERYTHING with class: win or lose. When he came back to the team in the bleachers, we were all disappointed and upset, and he was up there making everyone laugh and crackin jokes. Nothing could break that kid as long as HE is satisfied with how he wrestles.

That is great.  His show in the finals was fantastic.

220 Gelen is a animal

285 Shakir Carr is huge

steck was awesome

I'd have to agree with almost all of that!

Some great wrestling yesterday It was nice for me fo see some of the region kids wrestle in person that I hadnt seen since last yr at SS & state!

Micic & Stevenson prolly the 2 I was most impressed with & right behind was little Hughes at 120,  I honestly don't see him losing this weekend he really impressed me with his dominance

160 is stacked wow I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or all 4 on the podium next Saturday night, very strong weight class coming from Mville

I think this yrs top 4 is As strong as many I look to bring home a few champs & lots of placers!

Good luck fellas!

What weight class was Ferdig at last year?  I was impressed with the matches I saw as well.  Tough on top.  How did he do at Semi State last year?

Injured right before sectionals. 4 kids from rochester regional at that weight ended uo making it to state also.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.