Problem with class and wrestleback arguments

Galagore

There is one angle that really bothers me, no matter which side you are on for either of these issues...I am concerned very much when people use the argument, "Because (fill in the blank round of wrestling) is so exciting."  Should we really be making our decisions about wrestle backs or anything else based on what is the most exciting?  That does not seem like the best basis for decision making to me...

There is one angle that really bothers me, no matter which side you are on for either of these issues...I am concerned very much when people use the argument, "Because (fill in the blank round of wrestling) is so exciting."  Should we really be making our decisions about wrestle backs or anything else based on what is the most exciting?  That does not seem like the best basis for decision making to me...

I agree that is a weak argument, "because its so exciting".  In both formats, you have a ticket round.  In the current format its the first round, in the wrestlebacks its the consolation semi-finals.    Both rounds are equally exciting.  One exception to the wrestelback format, you're more likely to have the two deserving/skilled wrestlers in the match.

Depends on what your goal is.

Do you want to make the sport popular with casual fans.  I think you can argue that these win or go home rounds can help attract new fans to the sport.   

If your goal is to get the best possible athletes to state, given geographic restrictions, and determine the top 8 or 16 wrestlers, then throw "exciting" out the window.

I am all in favor of full wrestlebacks at all levels to determine who moves on.. However, I think that if we were ever to get said wrestlebacks, all the matches should be 2-2-2.  With matches such as the consolation semis (what would be the new ticket round) having added importance, I just don't think 5 minutes is enough to decide a winner.  In college, all matches regardless of winners side or losers side are 3-2-2 and I've never understood why high school does the 1-2-2 consolations.

I am all in favor of full wrestlebacks at all levels to determine who moves on.. However, I think that if we were ever to get said wrestlebacks, all the matches should be 2-2-2.  With matches such as the consolation semis (what would be the new ticket round) having added importance, I just don't think 5 minutes is enough to decide a winner.  In college, all matches regardless of winners side or losers side are 3-2-2 and I've never understood why high school does the 1-2-2 consolations.

Don't disagree at all but the logic is it makes the tourney run faster.  If we ever get wrestlebacks I'll gladly leave the 1-2-2 format in place.

I always anticipate the hand shaking segment of wrestling because you never know if it will be a first bump, good firm shake or a hand slap.  The hair on the back of my neck ALWAYS stands up during that portion of the match.

The Culver staff has perfected the hand shake known as the slippery eel.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.