Team State

baguba15

I'm not sure this would make everyone happy, but is there any way to use the same formula or one similar to determine the top 8 teams per class and then have this tournament in the same season a week after the individual tournament? Since it would technically be held after the season, the teams wouldn't have to worry about too many weigh ins or having to drop a tournament off of their regular season schedule. This way you would be able to use kids from the current team and not have to waith for the following season.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure this would make everyone happy, but is there any way to use the same formula or one similar to determine the top 8 teams per class and then have this tournament in the same season a week after the individual tournament? Since it would technically be held after the season, the teams wouldn't have to worry about too many weigh ins or having to drop a tournament off of their regular season schedule. This way you would be able to use kids from the current team and not have to waith for the following season.

IHSAA said any such event must be held prior to the start of the individual state tournament.  With the majority of conference tournaments usually scheduled for the two or three weeks leading up to the individual tournament it dramatically limited the window of open days in which this event could be held. 

IHSAA said any such event must be held prior to the start of the individual state tournament.  With the majority of conference tournaments usually scheduled for the two or three weeks leading up to the individual tournament it dramatically limited the window of open days in which this event could be held. 

I still think it should be 2 weeks before Sectionals.  If some schools have conference that weekend have them change it to the week before Sectionals.  This gives a whole season for the rankings to be accurate and everyone should be firing on all cylinders.  Also if every school just plans on having that weekend as an off weekend, unless you are invited, it will give teams a chance to go watch some great wrestling or get a nice long weekend practice in.  I just don't see the issue with this.  Is the fact that some schools would not be willing to reschedule their conference?

Is the fact that some schools would not be willing to reschedule their conference?

It would be a decent amount of logistics for the ADs considering they probably also have all the other winter sports to schedule around.  While the move is possible it would take a few years to iron out. 

Plus, a number of coaches made the argument that they were against the event being right before sectional as it may hinder their athletes overall preformance in the official IHSAA event. (not focused, healthy, etc.). 

I believe these two issues were a major factor preventing the team event from being at the end of the season for at least immediate future. 

The IHSAA state finals is the end of the wrestling season.  The IHSAA would NEVER allow this to happen and any attempt to push it would set back the IHSWCA relationship with the IHSAA ten years.  That simply is against the rules and is not an option.

Secondly, moving a conference tournament would take an act of congress.  The AD's if the schools in the Conferences that have the conference tournaments two weeks before the sectionals are not going to be happy about even attempting to reschedule something like this.  Remember, this is wrestling....not basketball.

I know that all of these options sound great and make ton of sense.  I also know that the IHSWCA looked into every one of these options and the fact is the IHSWCA hands are VERY tied on most of these options.  Im sure they will do what they can to improve on the process but I know substantial change will be very difficult.

Thanks again to all who worked so hard on the event.

By the way...just saw Django Unchained.....great flick!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.