Schedule Points

powerhalf

You get 18 points for the regular season. Sectional and beyond do not count.

Anything involving 3 or more teams is a tournament.

A match between just 2 teams is a dual.

Each dual counts as 1 point.

Each tournament counts as 2 points.

You can have up to 18 duals.

You can only have 7 tournaments.

4 of your points must be duals or you don't get to use those points.

If a wrestler sits out a dual, but the team wrestles, does the wrestler not get a point counted towards his personal total? And in the end, is it personal totals for each wrestler, or is it a team total and everyone gets points when the team wrestles? Being that our team is going to team state this year, we will have 20 points if we wrestle every dual/tournament. So if a kid sits out 2 duals or one tournament, is he good to go?

That was the angle some tried to take to allow individuals in meets like the Al Smith.  The IHSAA told them that the team could only schedule 18 pts.  I would not be suprised if they change their mind again

So with that being the case, our team either needs to cancel 2 duals or 1 tournament in order to compete at team state? Assuming that team state will count as 2 points? Is that correct?

That is our understanding.

Adams Central has dropped a SuperDual to be able to participate at IHSWCA duals.

Tony Currie

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along as I think alot of people think if a kid sits out a couple of duals or a tournament, then he's good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

from what i heard, our coach was told by our AD that as long as each kid individually skipped either 2 duals or one tournament, that they would be good to go........so as a team, we would have more than 18 weigh ins, but individually, they would each have only 18.....sure would be nice if someone who knows "for sure" would chime in.......

I will say that the IHSAA told us that the points follow a wrestler so as long as that wrestler doesn't go over his point total then he is good.  This came from the meetings we had with Faulkens this spring.  This was brought up when discussing the IHSWCA team state since they would not grant another weigh in to us.

And is expressly opposite of what was told coaches who wanted to enter individuals in the Al Smith.  At least they are doing things the right way now

It all comes down to what times they want wrestling to look like a team sport and what times they want it to look like an individual sport.  Clearly they can't even figure out which to classify it as, but still refuse to understand the unique quality of it actually being both.

I will say that the IHSAA told us that the points follow a wrestler so as long as that wrestler doesn't go over his point total then he is good.  This came from the meetings we had with Faulkens this spring.  This was brought up when discussing the IHSWCA team state since they would not grant another weigh in to us.

thanks!

From what Mr. Faulkens relayed to us is that is to both.  The team can only have 18 weigh ins and the wrestler can only have 18 weighs between jv/v.  I was hoping that it would just follow the wrestler as well.  Sure would be nice for the IHSAA would post a clear statement, so us coaches can adjust our schedules with respect to teams we may have to drop.  Can the IHSWCA get a clear answer and post to coaches?  I am hearing my info from my AD, who does not have a background in wrestling.  I don't see the issue with attaching weigh ins with the ind. wrestler vs. the team.  What if you have a rotation of a couple kids in a weight class?  Injured? 18 per team is not enough if is only attached to team. 

From what Mr. Faulkens relayed to us is that is to both.  The team can only have 18 weigh ins and the wrestler can only have 18 weighs between jv/v.  I was hoping that it would just follow the wrestler as well.  Sure would be nice for the IHSAA would post a clear statement, so us coaches can adjust our schedules with respect to teams we may have to drop.  Can the IHSWCA get a clear answer and post to coaches?  I am hearing my info from my AD, who does not have a background in wrestling.  I don't see the issue with attaching weigh ins with the ind. wrestler vs. the team.  What if you have a rotation of a couple kids in a weight class?  Injured? 18 per team is not enough if is only attached to team.   

I have sent in an email to the IHSAA website clearly asking this question and have gotten no response. This is ridiculous that they cannot give a clear answer to everyone. I know for a fact that our coach was told by our AD that it was 18 points per kid, not the team. If this is wrong, how are we supposed to know? Who has the means to contact whomever it is that makes this decision? They have to tell us at some point and not leave it up in the air. Time is running out as matches will be starting in less than 2 weeks.

tskin and CoachLane......why do you have totally conflicting ideas on this?......this is the problem.....it sounds you were both given different answers......who is Faulkens?.....can he get on here and put down an answer in writing so everyone knows?

who is Faulkens?

Robert Faulkens Asst. Commissioner of the IHSAA and directly in charge of Boys: Football, Track & Field, Wrestling  Girls: Track & Field.  That is when Commissioner Cox doesn't step in and make executive decision on those sports after Faulkens initially handled it (which he has done in the past.)

Robert Faulkens Asst. Commissioner of the IHSAA and directly in charge of Boys: Football, Track & Field, Wrestling  Girls: Track & Field.  That is when Commissioner Cox doesn't step in and make executive decision on those sports after Faulkens initially handled it (which he has done in the past.)

so how do we reach him and get him to post an answer to this question on here?......someone on this board must know him personally and could call him to request this......it doesn't do any good to email a question to them on their website because so far i have not gotten any response.....

Have never heard the 18 total points between JV and Varsity before?!?!?!  The 18 points per kid is how Jeffersonville, Jennings County, Penn, Perry Meridian and other larger programs have several teams that attend different varsity events.  They have done that for years so anything other than the points following the kids would be different than what we they have been told in the past.  We haven't crossed that road yet were we have such a large program we need to get matches for our JV kids.

Have never heard the 18 total points between JV and Varsity before?!?!?!  The 18 points per kid is how Jeffersonville, Jennings County, Penn, Perry Meridian and other larger programs have several teams that attend different varsity events.  They have done that for years so anything other than the points following the kids would be different than what we they have been told in the past.  We haven't crossed that road yet were we have such a large program we need to get matches for our JV kids.

18 total Varsity points on the schedule is what I was told by Commish Faulkens about 14 months ago.  18 total JV events could also be scheduled.  Any specific kid could only have 18 total points (Varsity and JV)

Have never heard the 18 total points between JV and Varsity before?!?!?!  The 18 points per kid is how Jeffersonville, Jennings County, Penn, Perry Meridian and other larger programs have several teams that attend different varsity events.  They have done that for years so anything other than the points following the kids would be different than what we they have been told in the past.  We haven't crossed that road yet were we have such a large program we need to get matches for our JV kids.

that's a good point.......i just wonder why some coaches have been told differently?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.