Classless Wrestling

BTaylor

Awesome idea... getting Flo to cover our state tournament would be great... then we could get coaches there and interview them as well....

Flo did make it to our state tournament during its first few years of major national coverage in 2008 when we had a few big names like Howe coming through.  

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/181-2008-IHSAA-Indiana-State-Wrestling-Championships

They were told they were only allowed to interview contestants not film actual matches. I'm not sure if they didn't ask for video clearance soon enough of the IHSAA just wasn't going to let them film regardless.  Either way I'm guessing that lack of coverage opportunity may have deterred them from wanting to stopping back into Indiana if they were around the Mid-West.  Some of Ohio's coverage isn't exactly directly linked to Flow but comes from the GOHIO Cast Website (a Flo affiliate) and Flo comrade Zeb Miller who lives there and has strong connections with Ohio wrestling community.  The closest we have to that is the Georgia crew from GNWA that makes road trips to the Mid-West which includes stop ins at Indiana University a few times a year.  Be nice if they were able to come back for anything Indiana hosted if it be our State Finals, the Scholastic Duals, Schoolboy Duals, or another big event.  The more exposure the state gets for running solid events the better it will help everyone involved.

And you pulled a rabbit out of your hat on that one.  You go from state tournament to blame, I disagree with you, and then go to implying I am blaming the wrestlers. 

Ummm you blamed the kids when you said....

I say this because I wonder how many of our wrestlers are putting themselves out there?

Breaking down the state tourney into classes isn't the way to go.  Now you are looking at multiple state champs, runner-ups, placers etc.  Being classed keeps that uniqueness to our state, adding classes only taints the title, "State Champ" now the next question every person (including college coaches) asks is "what division was it?  I love the idea of knowing at the end of the day, you and you only were the state champion, you were the best wrestler at that weight class in the entire state, YOU were the best, not the best in that division. 

My old assist. coach in college posted this once and I thought it was pretty true:

"High school coaches its time to have that talk to your seniors, ask them why they worked so hard for so long to become the best wrestler that they can be. They would probably would answer so that they could be a be successful in high school and have the opporitunity to pursue their passion at the collegiate level, now ask them if that was their goal and they worked so hard to reach it then why are they now sitting around waiting for an invitation to apply to a college, or waiting by the phone instead of picking up that phone to contact the coach of a program they want to become part of.

Heres a little secret, initiative goes a long way and showing some motivation and taking control of the direction you want your life to go in is often times the best recruiting aspect of all."

I though that was pretty solid.

I'm gonna lose my mind of one more person uses college recruiting as their reasoning for anything.

I'd say about 90-95% of the kids that wrestle do NOT go to college to wrestle. and of the maybe 5-10% that d0 less than 10% of them are getting any real money. So, all this garbage about recruiting blah blah blah as a need for class wrestling is silly. There are good arguments for class, this just isn't one.

And as someone very keenly put, if big bad John Smith wants to come recruit anyone I really don't think he cares about the bottom half of the qualifiers - He will be visiting to look at a kid with Fargo Titles, State Championships, WTT, not the kid who got 5th in 2A.

Breaking down the state tourney into classes isn't the way to go.  Now you are looking at multiple state champs, runner-ups, placers etc.  Being classed keeps that uniqueness to our state, adding classes only taints the title, "State Champ" now the next question every person (including college coaches) asks is "what division was it?  I love the idea of knowing at the end of the day, you and you only were the state champion, you were the best wrestler at that weight class in the entire state, YOU were the best, not the best in that division. 

So the other 45 states with class wrestling have tainted titles?  Ouch, I feel for all of those kids then.  I cannot believe that we give out tainted titles in football, baseball, basketball, softball, soccer, etc.  I feel for those kids who "think" they are the best, but are truly not.  I surely hope they can overcome the adversity and lead productive lives.

My old assist. coach in college posted this once and I thought it was pretty true:

"High school coaches its time to have that talk to your seniors, ask them why they worked so hard for so long to become the best wrestler that they can be. They would probably would answer so that they could be a be successful in high school and have the opporitunity to pursue their passion at the collegiate level, now ask them if that was their goal and they worked so hard to reach it then why are they now sitting around waiting for an invitation to apply to a college, or waiting by the phone instead of picking up that phone to contact the coach of a program they want to become part of.

Heres a little secret, initiative goes a long way and showing some motivation and taking control of the direction you want your life to go in is often times the best recruiting aspect of all."

I though that was pretty solid.

So another person that blames the kids for not showing initiative.

Awesome idea... getting Flo to cover our state tournament would be great... then we could get coaches there and interview them as well....

Are you saying the coaches are there because Flo is there??

If I could add some perspective:

I came from a state that had class wrestling and a school that had at most 250 kids.

After transfering to Indian my son is a freshman in a state with 1 class and a school with 2500kids.

However much everyone wants to think things are the same, they are not and this is not about college scholarships it's about student athlete opportunity.  At my alma mater the team has to use the cafeteria as practice space so the first 15 minutes of practice was folding up the tables and setting up the mats, the last 15-20 minutes is spent rolling up the mats and putting the tables back in place.  My son's school has a dedicated wrestling room with mats wall to wall and a complete fitness center the next door down the hall way.  There is no possible way that those two situations are going to achieve the same outcome.

When my drill partner was sick or god forbid was hurt for an extended time there was noone within 40 pounds of me to spar with. There are probably 15 athletes within 5 pounds of my son in the room, so not only is there always a drill partner but a constant change in style to work with. Once again there is a decieded adjvantage that is not the fault of the student.

I do understand the arguments that having one state champ makes it "special", but in Ohio the best kids always wrestled eachother during the season.  There are many high profile tounaments that these matches took place (North Akron Ironman,  Alliance Top Gun, etc).  But the whole idea behind student athlete is to make them a well rounded individual, that's what I love about wrestling that sports like football and baseball especially at the youth level have lost.  I don't see how more kids getting thier hands raised could be a bad thing, I'm not tryin to be a tree hugger but it's about opportunity.  Wrestling accepted me even though I was the fat kid 20 some years ago and it made me what I am today, and I don't think anyone can get me to believe that more kids having success on a level playing field will not be benificial to our sport.  Beside the title is great but the opportunity for more kids to make Indy is whats important...the EXPERIENCE matters.

Sorry for the rant

I'm going to take a bit of a detour off of the original thread...

but...

I'll take the bait Joe.

I'll blame the kids, parents, and coaches for not actively pursuing colleges. They watch too much ESPN where coaches trip over themselves for rounballers and pigskinners.

Wrestling is a different beast. You have to sell yourself. I got about a 50% scholarship to go to an NAIA school (Cumberland College). I didn't sign until Memorial Day weekend of my senior year. Why? Because their coach didn't recuit Indiana. They still don't actively recruit Indiana. It had nothing to do with class and what not. He was from Florida. He recruited from Ky and went South. Many small college coaches recruit from their home states, or the states that the college sits in.

You want to go outside Indiana? If you're not a stud, then you have to get your name out there.

I was there when these coaches from California asked us about coming to their tournament.

When we told them we couldn't trAvel that far they said Indiana has a lot of crazy rules.

They wanted more Midwest teams at their tournament.

After we talked a little as we left they said one good thing is we are one class like them.

They liked being unique as a one class state.

I'm not saying they are right, it's just interesting how passionate they were about being one class.

To be honest I like one class for individual, but I understand the argument for class

I can live with class for team, but I like our individual tournament with the only change being wrestle backs..

I have always been a supporter of a single class state tournament, i thought it was best for competition because the tournament was so brutal that it would push the kids to excel.....But Y2 has made a lot of valid arguments to support classed wrestling.

It would be beneficial if more kids had the chance to compete at the state tournament, and showcase their hard work and techniques. To the people who say it will take away from anothers success it wil do no such thing.  If a college is recruiting a wrestler to go to their school I doubt they will automatically stop recruiting him because there was also another state champion or state qualifier in the same weight in another class in the state. The coaches are going to be looking at how the wrestler wrestlers. I doubt a college will stop recruiting a kid if he they like how he wrestles just because he didn't win state that year.

I think it would be best if wrestlebackes were implemented into the semi state tournament as well as the state tournement. A few years ago 3 wrestlers from each regional advanced and it was then changed to four which in my opinion has helped to add more competetion and a better atmosphere to watch good wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.