Weight Lifting and Wrestling Success

nkraus

I want some opinions.  How important is weight lifting, or weight training important in wrestling?  I know my personal opinion.  STATE CHAMPS and STATE PLACERS...How often did/do you lift...Is it a huge part of your summer routine?  Please post and let me know.

IMO I think it is very important and I know personally that I won 3 of my matches my senior year down at state due to  my strength and conditioning.

specific weight training is what is most important.....core training is the king!.....conventional weightlifting like we did back in the 70's and 80's is still good to do but the new thing is training your core which in turn gets most of your other muscles in the process.....and conditioning is beyond important.....if you're gassing at the end of one......you're usually done......

hahah well i used to work out everyday with Coach Don Rogers and would also run on my own so everyday consisted of run befoere school with the team practice get a lift in after practice and then before i went to bed either do some running or do 10 sets of 10 of dumbells and id do that 3 times with no rest. i do would all different kinds of workouts wiht those dumb bells but all in all it is very important that you workout during the season it is important for being stron and then also so you dont get hurt wrestliong another guy

Hey Nick. This is Hemry. I might be a little different than most people but I never lifted in high school and do not lift to much now. I felt that my strength and conditioning was amongst the best ever. I did lift in college and became stronger. I feel that lifting is important overall. Like I said, I think that I am a little different than most, but I encourage my kids to lift.

yes i placed 3rd 2nd 2nd 1st and you must always workout before during and after season ifyou take time off just takes that much longer to get back to wherre you were if you want to talk more about some stuff email me brennancosgrove@yahoo.com or just send me a message on here either one works

In general, I do not think wrestlers lift enough.  I know mat time is everything, but being able to execute what is learned on the mat is pretty important.  There are ads that push a lot of bright shiny objects and magical silver bullets, but they really need to deadlift, squat, overhead press, perform lots maximum effort jumps, sprints, lunges, step ups, pull-ups (with external resistance), push-ups (with external resistance), and rope work (preferably 2? diameter).  In season, cutting down on eccentric actions (negatives) with partial movements and sled pushing, pulling, and dragging is of great benefit without the extreme breaking down of tissue.  Pretty simple, it can be progressed and varied to the level of anyone?s creativity, but its a good baseline. 

Adrian Panko, PANKO Strength & Speed

Awesome replies guys.  I teach APC (Advanced Physical Conditioning) at the school I teach at and I use many of these techniques, but I'll definitely add in some of these other ideas.  Cosgrove, if you are willing to private message me some of your tricks I think that some of our guys would be willing to follow up with these.  They can look at your credentials and you would be a good role model for some of these athletes.  I know personally that I weight train constantly and it helps me tremendously in MMA.

In general, I do not think wrestlers lift enough.  I know mat time is everything, but being able to execute what is learned on the mat is pretty important.   There are ads that push a lot of bright shiny objects and magical silver bullets, but they really need to deadlift, squat, overhead press, perform lots maximum effort jumps, sprints, lunges, step ups, pull-ups (with external resistance), push-ups (with external resistance), and rope work (preferably 2? diameter).  In season, cutting down on eccentric actions (negatives) with partial movements and sled pushing, pulling, and dragging is of great benefit without the extreme breaking down of tissue.  Pretty simple, it can be progressed and varied to the level of anyone?s creativity, but its a good baseline. 

Does this have something to do with Lynn's physique while at Uindy?  He was a study and Indy was a rival of ours when at Trine.

I'm not sure what my sons coach is shooting for. No lifting, no conditioning, hour and a half practices, meets only one day a week if that.  It's a 5A school so I don't know what to think. Even this week they only had 45 min practices. Most every guy gasses bad if it goes into third period, if OT they are done. I just keep motivating my son to do more out of practice to make up for it but its hard if the coach is not a motivator.  I don't want to be one of those guys bashing a coach for sure, he is a nice guy.

hIGH scHOOL u can geta away without lifting if u have great technique. Also you can be very strong and get away without great technique. However if u wrasle in college you need to be strong and have great technique.

Also if you look like Dewy u maybe stronger dan u look. Great levers help a whole lot.

I know several state champs and a few multi state champs that did not want to go anywhere near the weight room. But its tricky because they did several pushups,situps and things u do outside the weight room. i agree with lifting weights,but i think its a whole lot more important to work in the mat room. when someone stepped on the mat with me and he looked like a body builder, i knew i had a great chance to win. the ones that have all that muscle and alot of skill dont come very often. All im trying to say is i wouldnt go crazy in the weight room just because you think its gonna make you a state champ. OBVIOUSLY skill and technique is a WHOLE lot more important...just my thoughts.

understood...push ups and sit ups make a huge difference though...dan gable used to take a deck of cards and flip one card at a time...if the card said 2 he'd do push ups...if it said 10 he'd do 10 push ups and i think the face cards were jack=11 pushups queen =12 pushups king=13 pushups and maybe the ace was 15pushups...he would go through the whole deck-

The deck of cards helps alot. We did them like 2 or 3 times a week at the end of practice. It was so hard.. i think every wrestler should wake up doing 20 pushups and go to sleep doing 20 pushups. It may not seem like it helps but it does. And its all extra and on your own.

Without going in to much detail, I lean toward high school wrestlers doing heavier lifting in the offseason. Switching to less weight and more explosive workouts while adding plyo during the couple months leading up to the season, and moving to body weight calisthenics during the season. Utilizing sandbags, kettle bells, plates or dumbells along with demanding body weight calisthenics, it seems athletes tend to develop more muscle endurance or strength over time. Curious to hear others thoughts on this pattern/approach.

Im more of a "wake me up when its my turn to get on the mat" type of person.... ;D  in all seriousness i believe that strength does help those with less technique for sure, but 9 out of 10 times the kid that stays in the best "POSITION" will ultimately be the winner, because they know how to win the 2-1, 3-2 matches by frustrating the stronger wrestler....just an opinion..... i can honestly say that my brother was a state champ in 98 and was by far the weakest kid in the weight class, and was half the size of his opponent in the final match, but Technique won the match for him....Guess it comes down to wrestling confidence also....

i know i didnt lift much until my going into junior summer. but i only started lifting bc of the fact that i lost at semi state only due to the fact that i got out powered. i starting lifting hard during the summer then did little during season just to keep my strength up. it payed off because i made it to state the following year and didnt lose anymore matches just becuase someone out powered me. i feel its huge bc it helps with many many aspects of wrestling weather its crunching the cradels together, holding someone down or pretty much anything, it also helps you get more explosive wich will help dramatically with ur shots. but we know one thing, lifting cant hurt you and you dont wanna look back on your career and wish you cooulda done more1

Without boring people to death ? the body has three energy systems.  Alactic energy for less than 10 seconds, lactic energy for 10-59 seconds, and aerobic energy for anything 59 seconds plus.  With the exception of overtime, the fastest a period can end is two minutes, putting wrestling in the aerobic energy category.  But the body does not exert strong, violent, maximum effort force (needed for wrestling) in the aerobic energy system.  The strongest and most violent force the body creates is in the alactic energy system.  Step away from the mat and onto the track for a better example.  100 M sprinters (<10 seconds) exert an incredible amount of force (per strike) compared to 400 M sprinters (<59 seconds) who exert an incredible amount of force compared 800 M middle distance runners (>60 seconds).  Observers will also notice that lean body mass (muscle) decreases with each successive group in that example.  A decrease in lean body mass is an obvious negative.  What is the point of all of the above?  Most wrestlers are trained as aerobic athletes and expected to compete and execute as alactic athletes, back to the track?that would be akin to putting a middle distance runner in a 100 M sprint.  It is agreed that this may or may not matter at the high school level, but some people are starting to see the light, and having a paradigm change better late than never.  Instead of lengthy bouts of energy exertion, volume should be high by doing many, many small, explosive, absolute maximum bouts of energy exertion.

A couple of years ago I saw a video (Youtube or something) about David Taylor.  He was working with a personal trainer and they were going through his workout routine and talking about what he was doing in preparation for the season and then what he did during the season.  He was traveling something like an hour to work out with his trainer after practices.  The trainer was trying to keep his strength at around 80% - 90% of where he came into the season at.  It evidently worked for him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.