WEIGHT ALLOWANCE TOMORROW NIGHT

TEC_FAN

has anyone out there done the math on how much a particular wrestler at a given wgt class can weigh on Wednesday night.  So that they are not in violation of the 1.5% rule.  I know there was some talk on here before that if the wrestlers from 106-152 take advantage of the 1 lb allowance (total of 3)  they would not be able to get back down to their actual eligible wgt for Saturday.  for ex:    152=  154 growth allowance  plus  extra 1lb (wreslting wednesday)= 155.00 lbss. 

if wrestler weighs in at 155 and he is only able to loose 1.5%week  = .21428% per day x (Thurs, Fri, Sat)=.6428.  so  155.00x ..06428= 154.43.  which is over the 154 allowed. 

Again just wondering if anyone has already made some sort of chart?

If I'm not mistake, the 1.5% a week is only until Sectionals.  After that it really does not matter.  I have discussed this with the IHSAA, and that is what I toke away from the conversation.  I know that the refs don't care because it is not their responsibility.  Do you guys even keep weigh in sheets after Sectionals?

If I'm not mistake, the 1.5% a week is only until Sectionals.  After that it really does not matter.  I have discussed this with the IHSAA, and that is what I toke away from the conversation.  I know that the refs don't care because it is not their responsibility.  Do you guys even keep weigh in sheets after Sectionals?

Mishawaka got dinged for not following weight loss plan a few years back in between team regional and semi state

Below is a quick chart I made with the max weight that one can weigh in at on Wenesday using the additional 1lb. allowance and still make weight on Saturday in accordance with the weight management plan. I hope this helps.

Class                    Max Weight

106               108.6

113               115.7

120               122.7

126               128.8

132               134.8

138               140.9

145               147.9

152               154.9

The 1.5% is based on each individual's "alpha weight" taken at the beginning of the season.  So, there really isn't a set amount per weight class.  A wrestler who started up a couple weight classes and dropped weight throughout the season would be able to lose slightly more per week than someone who began the season at his weight class.

The 1.5% is based on each individual's "alpha weight" taken at the beginning of the season.  So, there really isn't a set amount per weight class.  A wrestler who started up a couple weight classes and dropped weight throughout the season would be able to lose slightly more per week than someone who began the season at his weight class.

You would have had to weigh 156lbs or more for your alpha weigh in to take full advantage of the 1lbs allowance at team regional.  So basically about half of the competitors are not allowed to take advantage of it.

You would have had to weigh 156lbs or more for your alpha weigh in to take full advantage of the 1lbs allowance at team regional.  So basically about half of the competitors are not allowed to take advantage of it.

Well that seem to me that this is a trap rule >:( That would be sad if a wrestler used what he thought was within the rules a extra pound only to be told later that oops you can't leagally use it and still be elgible to wrestle Saturday!! :(

I say this quite often, but threads like this make it all the more relevant.

If this many people have this many questions and there are multiple interpretations being used,  is this really the best plan to manage the wrestlers' weights?  There are a lot of smart people out there who could look at this issue and develop a simple, idiot (or sneaky cheaters) proof way to manage and track this data.  I have talked to coaches that didn't even realize this was in place.

If we seriously want to protect kids from cutting (or gaining for that matter!) too much weight, we need a better system in place.  Take the questions out of it.

If this many people have this many questions and there are multiple interpretations being used,  is this really the best plan to manage the wrestlers' weights?  There are a lot of smart people out there who could look at this issue and develop a simple, idiot (or sneaky cheaters) proof way to manage and track this data.  I have talked to coaches that didn't even realize this was in place.

If we seriously want to protect kids from cutting (or gaining for that matter!) too much weight, we need a better system in place.  Take the questions out of it.

Wise Words. Do you have anything in mind yourself?

I think the IHSAA commish has heard from many coaches on how difficult it is to understand and he has not been to sympathetic to their concerns.

I think the IHSAA commish has heard from many coaches on how difficult it is to understand and he has not been to sympathetic to their concerns.

To be quite honest, if we are waiting for the IHSAA commish to help, we're pretty much hosed. 

I don't think he can say places a priority on the health and well-being of each student athlete if he is not sympathetic to concerns about a weight management program.  It will only be a priority when it either becomes too expensive somehow or if litigation makes it a priority.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.