Preseason Open numbers not supporting the new weight class changes?

SpartanDog

it seems to me tha the numbers in all of the lower weights and very low numbers in the upper weights doesn't support adding a upper weight and taking away a middle weight :-\ All of the lower weights are pretty even except where 140 was. 135 and 141 are among the highest numbers registered. Hum? ???

Most of the 170lbs+ kids are playing a fall sport and most football coaches are not big fans of their kids participating in wrestling tournaments during football season.

That is what I expected you would say :P  Bottom line football or not the numbers don't support taking away a middle weight and adding an upper weight. If they really think they needed more options in the upper weights, they just could've added the 195 w/o taking away the 140lb class. Then you do away with alot of the tie breaker criteria because of the odd number of weight classes. Fix 2 problems at once. ;)

do agree though they should of just added the weight class and not taken any away.

Shifted weight classes to the upper weights.  None were removed since we still have 14.  But, yes a 15th weight class would have been nice.  Though the argument for some there may have been if some teams can't fill 14 wieghts why would we want to add another and possibly see more forfeits.

That is what I expected you would say :P  Bottom line football or not the numbers don't support taking away a middle weight and adding an upper weight. If they really think they needed more options in the upper weights, they just could've added the 195 w/o taking away the 140lb class. Then you do away with alot of the tie breaker criteria because of the odd number of weight classes. Fix 2 problems at once. ;)

Why are we still complaining?  It's not getting changed back this year.  Deal with it. 

Most of the 170lbs+ kids are playing a fall sport and most football coaches are not big fans of their kids participating in wrestling tournaments during football season.

185 and 198 have good #s Im sure there will be a few more. yes big guys play football oh well. I do agree though they should of just added the weight class and not taken any away.

And many lighter weight kids are playing soccer and x-country.

No coach is thrilled with the possibility that their athlete might be hurt mid season participating in a non high school event.

Many Fball coaches are not big fans of their athletes wrestling period.  We have had dificulty in the past filling the heavier weights with quality and quantity.  This year it will be even worse.

spartandog is correct that complaining in september or in february will not change these weight classes.  the ihsaa and nfhs will change things again down the road.  history always repeats itself.

it will be interesting to see if it helps or hinders teams @ the top and bottom of their line-ups.  i like moving the lower weights due to forfeits & college recruiting.  also, the upper weight change has helped us thus far.

wc182dad also made a valid statements about fb coaches not wanting injuries to in-season athletes.  i would be upset if a kid missed the state wrestling tournament due to an injury @ some fb combine testing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.