Indiana Wrestler Robbed

Regionrat1

While Fitch has had a lot of success in the UFC, his style is reallllly boring.  Of his 15 fights in the UFC, he's ended 3 ended by submission and 1 by TKO.  The rest of his fights have been decisions and now this draw.  He hasn't finished a fight since 2007, as his last 9 fights have ended in decisions.  I'm obviously as big a fan of wrestling as anyone, but if I want to see a bunch of takedowns I'll watch college matches on the Big Ten Network.  People watch the UFC to see fights, and Fitch's lay and pray style is really hurting his chances for advancement in the league.  Dana White is reluctant to give him another shot at the title because his style is so unentertaining.  Heck, he's even from my hometown and I don't like watching him.

While Fitch has had a lot of success in the UFC, his style is reallllly boring.  Of his 15 fights in the UFC, he's ended 3 ended by submission and 1 by TKO.  The rest of his fights have been decisions and now this draw.  He hasn't finished a fight since 2007, as his last 9 fights have ended in decisions.  I'm obviously as big a fan of wrestling as anyone, but if I want to see a bunch of takedowns I'll watch college matches on the Big Ten Network.  People watch the UFC to see fights, and Fitch's lay and pray style is really hurting his chances for advancement in the league.  Dana White is reluctant to give him another shot at the title because his style is so unentertaining.  Heck, he's even from my hometown and I don't like watching him.

When was the last time GSP finished a fight? 

When was the last time GSP finished a fight?  

He did TKO Penn a few years back and Matt Serra not to long before that.  Since he only fights around twice a year that isn't to long ago in his fight career I guess.  I would content while Fitch is a solid fighter, but he is right that Fitch doesn't finish a lot of his big name competition.  Fitch does beat most of the big name competition he faces though and that's the goal.

Well I knew he went to Carroll, and I'm from Fort Wayne, so I just figured.  "He went to high school in my area" I guess would be what I meant to say.  GSP TKOed BJ Penn in 2009, which was 3 fights ago.  GSP is clearly more dominant than Fitch.  I would say the big difference between them is that even when GSP doesn't finish the fight, there are at least a couple instances where he puts himself in position to do so.  I still don't know how Dan Hardy managed to not tap out when they fought last March.  On the other hand, I can't remember the last time Fitch came close to finishing a fight.  He gets the takedown and lays on a little ground and pound, then just controls the fight enough to get the win.  I think the refs need to be a little more proactive with their calls to stand them back up when Fitch fights.

Well I knew he went to Carroll, and I'm from Fort Wayne, so I just figured.  "He went to high school in my area" I guess would be what I meant to say.  GSP TKOed BJ Penn in 2009, which was 3 fights ago.  GSP is clearly more dominant than Fitch.  I would say the big difference between them is that even when GSP doesn't finish the fight, there are at least a couple instances where he puts himself in position to do so.  I still don't know how Dan Hardy managed to not tap out when they fought last March.  On the other hand, I can't remember the last time Fitch came close to finishing a fight.  He gets the takedown and lays on a little ground and pound, then just controls the fight enough to get the win.  I think the refs need to be a little more proactive with their calls to stand them back up when Fitch fights.

BJ didn't answer the bell for the 5th, which is different than a true KO or TKO.  Again, I didn't watch the fight, but I heard BJ looked like he broke at the end of the 3rd last night.  He might have lasted one more round like that against Fitch.  So really, last night's fight might have turned out the same as GSP-BJ.  I'm pretty sure Fitch can finish Serra as well.   

BJ didn't answer the bell for the 5th, which is different than a true KO or TKO.  Again, I didn't watch the fight, but I heard BJ looked like he broke at the end of the 3rd last night.  He might have lasted one more round like that against Fitch.  So really, last night's fight might have turned out the same as GSP-BJ.  I'm pretty sure Fitch can finish Serra as well.   

You are reaching alot to try and bring GSP down to Fitch's level.  You're splitting hairs with the "BJ didn't answer the bell for the 5th, which is different than a true KO or TKO" comment.  GSP is way more dominant  than Fitch as much as I hate to say it.  Love the fact that he's a premier fighter in the UFC but I can't get past his style.  If GSP rematched  Fitch I'm pretty  sure the result would be the same, a convincing GSP victory.  GSP has already proven he can handle other great wrestlers like Koscheck.  I'm glad you're fan of Fitch Smoot34, I am as well, but he is boring and there is no denying  that and he still can't hang with GSP.

You are reaching alot to try and bring GSP down to Fitch's level.  You're splitting hairs with the "BJ didn't answer the bell for the 5th, which is different than a true KO or TKO" comment.  GSP is way more dominant  than Fitch as much as I hate to say it.  Love the fact that he's a premier fighter in the UFC but I can't get past his style.  If GSP rematched  Fitch I'm pretty  sure the result would be the same, a convincing GSP victory.  GSP has already proven he can handle other great wrestlers like Koscheck.  I'm glad you're fan of Fitch Smoot34, I am as well, but he is boring and there is no denying  that and he still can't hang with GSP.

could have fooled me

I'm not arguing that Fitch is better.  At least that wasn't my original intent.  I agree that GSP would still beat Fitch in a rematch.  I just don't know how you can argue that Fitch is boring and GSP isn't.  Both have fought and dominated the top competition in the UFC and both grind out decisions.  I guess if finishing fights is the only thing that matters, Carlos Condit is better than GSP because he finished Dan Hardy in the 1st. 

Lytle lost a decision, but his fight was awarded fight of the night and both fighters received a $75,00.00 bonus. After being around Chris as he helped coach the New Pal Dragone team this year, I just wanted to say that he is a great guy,very down to earth and a very positive influence on our kids.

I'm not arguing that Fitch is better.  At least that wasn't my original intent.  I agree that GSP would still beat Fitch in a rematch.  I just don't know how you can argue that Fitch is boring and GSP isn't.  Both have fought and dominated the top competition in the UFC and both grind out decisions.  I guess if finishing fights is the only thing that matters, Carlos Condit is better than GSP because he finished Dan Hardy in the 1st. 

You honestly believe GSP isn't more exciting to watch than Fitch?  I'm not saying that finishing opponents is the be all/end all of UFC matches either but with Fitch there's barely even a chance of a match ending due to TKO/KO/submission whereas with GSP he at least gives you that chance (and the reason he's not taking guys out lately is because recent opponents don't open up at all against him) and his style is just so much more entertaining.

You honestly believe GSP isn't more exciting to watch than Fitch?  I'm not saying that finishing opponents is the be all/end all of UFC matches either but with Fitch there's barely even a chance of a match ending due to TKO/KO/submission whereas with GSP he at least gives you that chance (and the reason he's not taking guys out lately is because recent opponents don't open up at all against him) and his style is just so much more entertaining.

I guess we will agree to disagree.  I've seen both fight and implement the same type of game plan.  Lots of work in the clinch and always looking for takedowns to gain the dominant position on top.  GSP throws one submission attempt every once in a while, but rarely sacrifices position to do so.

Why do you think Greg Jackson trained fighters get so much criticism?

Lytle lost a decision, but his fight was awarded fight of the night and both fighters received a $75,00.00 bonus. After being around Chris as he helped coach the New Pal Dragone team this year, I just wanted to say that he is a great guy,very down to earth and a very positive influence on our kids.

He needs to change his name to Chris "Fight of the Night " Lytle.  He has won the award like 5 times plus a few Knockout and Submission of the night awards too.  That may be more bonus wins than any other UFC fighter has had.

ALL of the UFC's have been boring since the original rules were changed somewhere around or after UFC #10 back in the mid 1990's.  If you want to see good UFC fights again they need to revert back to the original rules when the fights had NO time limits, NO rounds, NO weight limitations.  The only rules were no eye gouging and no fish-hooking.  Groin shots were allowed and used quite often.  Man do I miss the days of Tank Abbot and that crew!

Take some guts.  Not sure if it was necessary since he had been preforming well enough that the UFC wouldn't drop him over that issue.  But if he wanted to get one more fight in before retirement while still in shape that may explain why he stayed in it.  Would hate to see him hang it up though with how well he has been preforming.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.