Finals: Sims vs Welch

IUBjj171

Sims has looked tough this weekend.  Granted he has had a much easier road to the finals.

The "Hip Problem" hasn't been an issue to this point.  But then it seems to move to his head in some mathes. 

Chad...Just go out and WRESTLE!  Don't worry about anything other than wrestling that ONE  match we all know you have in you. 

I'm happy for both wrestlers to make it to the finals and very happy for the fans to finally get to see this match-up on the biggest stage!

Bluebolt,

I believe I called this on one of my PM's?

I believe you did John.  Let's see which Sims shows up  ;-)

Sims has looked tough this weekend.  Granted he has had a much easier road to the finals.

The "Hip Problem" hasn't been an issue to this point.   But then it seems to move to his head in some mathes. 

Chad...Just go out and WRESTLE!   Don't worry about anything other than wrestling that ONE  match we all know you have in you. 

MUCH easier? Are you serious? His last two opponents were a combined 80-0. Perhaps you were undefeated in high school and so that isn't impressive, but in my book one doesn't go undefeated into the quarterfinals or semifinals of the state tournament without being REALLY good.

And your implying that his injury was fictitious or minimal is just insulting -- not just to him, but to everyone with intelligence who reads this board.  John Sims is a 4X state placer (an impressive achievement that even Welch did not accomplish). But in this, his final year, he missed more than half of his potential matches. Why would he do that?

There's nobody on here bashing Welch, indeed I have nothing but respect for him. Why your classless bashing of a young man who has shown an incredible and highly respectable amount of mental toughness over the past 4 years? He has been dealt an incredibly difficult hand, and has continued to push through -- all the way to the state finals, in fact.  Regardless of the outcome of that match, Sims deserves respect.

MUCH easier? Are you serious? His last two opponents were a combined 80-0. Perhaps you were undefeated in high school and so that isn't impressive, but in my book one doesn't go undefeated into the quarterfinals or semifinals of the state tournament without being REALLY good.

And your implying that his injury was fictitious or minimal is just insulting -- not just to him, but to everyone with intelligence who reads this board.  John Sims is a 4X state placer (an impressive achievement that even Welch did not accomplish). But in this, his final year, he missed more than half of his potential matches. Why would he do that?

There's nobody on here bashing Welch, indeed I have nothing but respect for him. Why your classless bashing of a young man who has shown an incredible and highly respectable amount of mental toughness over the past 4 years? He has been dealt an incredibly difficult hand, and has continued to push through -- all the way to the state finals, in fact.  Regardless of the outcome of that match, Sims deserves respect.

Bluebolt is a very passionate castle fan. He is just as passionate with his "dislike" of Mater Dei.  Those emotions are worn on his sleeve.

Sims has looked tough this weekend.  Granted he has had a much easier road to the finals.

The "Hip Problem" hasn't been an issue to this point.   But then it seems to move to his head in some mathes.  

Chad...Just go out and WRESTLE!   Don't worry about anything other than wrestling that ONE  match we all know you have in you.  

Can you explain why you feel Sims  "has had a much easier road to the finals"?

This is who Sims has wrestled at state:

Dusty Schurg 31-7 Crown Point 2nd at  Merrillville semistate

Curtis Anderson 38-0 Carmel  ranked 6th. Champion at New Castle semistate

Conner Lefever Carrol (Fort Wayne) 42-0 ranked 4th. Champion at Wodlan semistate

and this is who Welch has wrestled at state:

Davon Alwine 42-3 South Bend Clay ranked 17th. 4th at Merrillville semistate

Mitchell Judkins 43-3 Speedway ranked 9th. 3rd at New Castle semistate

Tyler Willis 44-1 Cathedral ranked 2nd. 2nd at New Castle semistate

Can you explain why you feel Sims  "has had a much easier road to the finals"?

This is who Sims has wrestled at state:

Dusty Schurg 31-7 Crown Point 2nd at  Merrillville semistate

Curtis Anderson 38-0 Carmel  ranked 6th. Champion at New Castle semistate

Conner Lefever Carrol (Fort Wayne) 42-0 ranked 4th. Champion at Wodlan semistate

and this is who Welch has wrestled at state:

Davon Alwine 42-3 South Bend Clay ranked 17th. 4th at Merrillville semistate

Mitchell Judkins 43-3 Speedway ranked 9th. 3rd at New Castle semistate

Tyler Willis 44-1 Cathedral ranked 2nd. 2nd at New Castle semistate

Chambers, looks like you posted Sims' lineup for Welch also. Actually Welch had the following:

40-4 Davon Alwine (4th at Merriville Semistate, ranked 19)

43-3 Michael Jurkins (3rd at New Castle semistate, ranked 9)

44-1 Tyler Willis (2nd at New Castle Semistate, ranked 2)

So, Sims beat the people that beat Welch's opponents...I am with you, I'm not seeing how Sims' road was easier.

Poly Blue et. al.  Its going to be real eye opening for everyone later on tonight. Who cares who has beaten who. They both will be under the lights, facing each other the way we have all wanted all year. I personally have been looking forward to this all year....

Just the way it should be......man to man...in front of the entire wrestling community....for the right to be THE MAN @ 160...............

Chambers, looks like you posted Sims' lineup for Welch also. Actually Welch had the following:

40-4 Davon Alwine (4th at Merriville Semistate, ranked 19)

43-3 Michael Jurkins (3rd at New Castle semistate, ranked 9)

44-1 Tyler Willis (2nd at New Castle Semistate, ranked 2)

So, Sims beat the people that beat Welch's opponents...I am with you, I'm not seeing how Sims' road was easier.

That is corrected now. I don't care which one of them wins. I just hope that Sims can wrestle at 100% and we get to see a great match.

Let me be clear...What has Chad Welch done to bring ANY question upon his desire to show up and get on the mat?

Bashing him would be rediculous to start with.

AS for the path...Lets look at that...

The bracket speaks for itself.  The bottom half alone had Quiroz, Defeatred by Willis, Who was defeaed by Welch. 

He EARNED this bracket by wrestling through his Semi State BTW.

Poly Blue et. al.   Its going to be real eye opening for everyone later on tonight. Who cares who has beaten who. They both will be under the lights, facing each other the way we have all wanted all year. I personally have been looking forward to this all year....

Just the way it should be......man to man...in front of the entire wrestling community....for the right to be THE MAN @ 160...............

I will say it for all to read.  If John Sims wins, I will be the first to offer Congradulations and Will be proud of his accomplishments.

i was very impressed with Sims through his first 3 matches, the effortless ease that he showed in defeating two undefeated wrestlers ....wow, and a little scary

A comment to his sister...you should be proud!  HOWEVER....what was the deal? before the finals, you came to the Castle section (in your MD shirts,with 160 Sims on the back) and sat down directly behind the Welch Family.

Not sure I would go to the MD section with Castle garb on and Sit down.............

I guess no harm no foul

Congrats John Sims on a good state tourney and a tough season ... Good Luck to u!

I'm going to go ahead and get put in the dog house or banned for this one.......

DO YOU EVER QUIT BITCHING?????? You are such a little BITCH!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. See you all after I get what ever punishment I get.

Between theStick and BlueBolt (to a much lesser extent), the complete and utter hatred of MD is not only disgusting from what I believe to be two grown men, but a little disturbing to think you have nothing better to do than to get on here and try to pick on teenagers.  If you were at Conseco, you would have heard the MD crowd cheering for all of our area kids, I know because I was right in the middle of it cheering!  I almost completely lost my voice cheering for Doug Welch in his finals match, however, I must admit I had to save some of it to cheer for Johnny!! You have both questioned John's injury, but I assure you, it is very real; he is just a young man, in a lot of pain, trying to accomplish a dream that his now deceased father began with him a long time ago.  Had I seen Momma Welch before I left Conseco, I would have congratulated her for a job well done, and I know she must be very proud, and in the end, it was a win for our area no matter who came out the victor.  I have no animosity towards any school in our area...maybe a healthy rivalry at times...Great competition is what continues to grow our southern programs, the better our competition, the harder we have to work, the better we become (and the more respect the Evansville meat-grinder earns).  Coaches like Bob Harmon, Scott Ferguson, Mattingly, Zuber, Coughlin (the entire Memorial team), make us better wrestlers, because we have to work twice as hard to try to be the best...why would I hate that?  Please try to remember that these wrestlers are kids, they read this board, and they are not always as equipped as us ADULTS to shrug it off.  I have said things on this board that I regret, or feel should have been worded differently, but I have never tried to gut a kid...we all make mistakes, but it is the learning from them that counts.

Congrats to all of the area wrestlers!!!  Saw great articles about great wrestlers from our Evansville Semi-State in the local papers from Indy to Evansville!!!  On a side note, Sam Goebel, Josh Piere, Trevor Moody, Blake Rueger, Quincy Richey, John Sims (runner-up), and Josh Boots (those are the ones I can think of), were dealt their 1st loss in the State tourney to the eventual State Champ...so they truly lost to the best wrestler! I can't wait to see how the next few years pan out...it's getting exciting down here folks!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.