Dislike of a team?

FurgaSonic

Just my opinion but this kind of question is the problem with this website. The point of this website is to discuss our great sport of wrestling, not bash teams that work just as hard as the next. Yes some may wrestle "dirty" or unfair but calling teams out will never accomplish anything.

I am fairly new to being a wrestling fan.  I played basketball in high school and never really cared for it let alone followed it.  A friend of mine was a wrestler in high school and now his son is a wrestler so I have taken a liking to following him.  Im still learning but find it a very enjoyable spectator sport.  I was at the Merrillville semistate saturday and was watching all the matches and kept noticing the kids shaking the other coahes hands after the match regardless of outcome.  I then noticed that the Crown Point kids did not and wondered why til i heard a member of the crowd say the their coaches do not allow it.  I can understand in such a one on one competitive sport that you would want to keep that edge and not be friendly but isnt it also teaching a bad lesson at an early age?  Im sure they have their philosophy as to why they tell their kids not to shake hands but Im not sure their positives outweigh the overall negatives.  Just one persons opinion.

I am fairly new to being a wrestling fan.  I played basketball in high school and never really cared for it let alone followed it.  A friend of mine was a wrestler in high school and now his son is a wrestler so I have taken a liking to following him.  Im still learning but find it a very enjoyable spectator sport.  I was at the Merrillville semistate saturday and was watching all the matches and kept noticing the kids shaking the other coahes hands after the match regardless of outcome.  I then noticed that the Crown Point kids did not and wondered why til i heard a member of the crowd say the their coaches do not allow it.  I can understand in such a one on one competitive sport that you would want to keep that edge and not be friendly but isnt it also teaching a bad lesson at an early age?  Im sure they have their philosophy as to why they tell their kids not to shake hands but Im not sure their positives outweigh the overall negatives.  Just one persons opinion.

I know that some teams allow their wrestler to vote and choose if they want to shake hands with the opposing coach.

I didn't ever shake hands of the opposing coach.  It was not out of disrespect.  It was something we just didn't do.  I graduated in 93, and it was probably 50/50 then.  I think it started to increae thru the 90s. I don't see it a disrespect, because we always shook hands at the end of dual meets.

I agree there too. I have noticed most colleges teams don't I have only seen one and just only a couple of the members of the MSU team shook the opposing coaches hand.

Let's move on. We aren't due to discuss this again until early December.

I seen one coach at New Castle this past weekend that after one of his kids lost a close one in the ticket round make his kid go back and properly shake the coach's hands after he just slapped them as he went of the mat.  Number one, I understand the kids feelings and he will be back next year and will probably have a different outcome.  Number two,  I thought that the coach making the kid go back and respectfully shaking hands with the coach's shows a lot of class and teaches the kid that win or lose we still need to respect each other.  That is why I love this great sport, the kids that wrestle show more respect and have way more discipline than other sports and are truly just all around good kids that for the most part will go on and be somebody in this world of disrespect......

I keep a picture on my desk from the 2004 Olympic Team Trials.  Rulon Gardner and Beyers from Army were going to wrestle the best 2 out of 3 for a spot on the Olympic Team.  The whole arena was going nuts!  We were all there to see these to monsters go at each other.  As the energy reached a fever pitch in the stands the two squared off and touched hands.  The referee was stepping back to start the match when the two dropped to their knees and prayed in front of a screaming crowd.  The crowd quickly got quiet as these two warriors spent about 90 seconds praying head-to-head on one knee.  Every hair on my body stood on end.  They stood up together, looked at the ref and nodded.  The whistle blew and those two pounded each other.

I like that picture of the two kneeling and praying b/c it reminds me that we all have a job to do.  We can do our jobs with passion and intensity while still respecting the other person.  We all have sacrificed and pushed ourselves to our limits, but what would we be without someone else there to challenge us?  Wrestling is how we push each other while showing respect.  Try it at work tomorrow... you will know immediately who gets the 'wrestling' philosophy and who doesn't.

I keep a picture on my desk from the 2004 Olympic Team Trials.  Rulon Gardner and Beyers from Army were going to wrestle the best 2 out of 3 for a spot on the Olympic Team.  The whole arena was going nuts!  We were all there to see these to monsters go at each other.  As the energy reached a fever pitch in the stands the two squared off and touched hands.  The referee was stepping back to start the match when the two dropped to their knees and prayed in front of a screaming crowd.  The crowd quickly got quiet as these two warriors spent about 90 seconds praying head-to-head on one knee.  Every hair on my body stood on end.  They stood up together, looked at the ref and nodded.  The whistle blew and those two pounded each other.

I like that picture of the two kneeling and praying b/c it reminds me that we all have a job to do.  We can do our jobs with passion and intensity while still respecting the other person.  We all have sacrificed and pushed ourselves to our limits, but what would we be without someone else there to challenge us?  Wrestling is how we push each other while showing respect.  Try it at work tomorrow... you will know immediately who gets the 'wrestling' philosophy and who doesn't.

Care to send me a copy of that picture?  Thats awesome.

My brother, awood3, took it.  You may be able to send him a message thru Indianamat.com.  I don't know why I have never asked him to send it to me via email.  I guess having a large copy at the bottom of my stairs at home, one in my home office, and one on my desk at work seemed like enough  :-\

I will get to work on that for you.

Really makes for a nice conversation when people ask about wrestling.

I like that picture of the two kneeling and praying b/c it reminds me that we all have a job to do.  We can do our jobs with passion and intensity while still respecting the other person.  We all have sacrificed and pushed ourselves to our limits, but what would we be without someone else there to challenge us?  Wrestling is how we push each other while showing respect.  lTry it at work tomorrow... you will know immediately who gets the 'wrestling' philosophy and who doesn't.

wow, very cool.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.