Dislike of a team?

FurgaSonic

To answer the question that was aked.  I have never personally hated or disliked a team.  THose guys laced up their shoes and put on their head gear to do the same thing I did.

Now FANS...That's a different story!  I have seen some of the WORST sportsmanship imaginable from fans of programs that I KNOW would not condone that same type of thing out of their athletes.

I am taking about fans literally cussing and spitting at the family members of wrestlers from the opposing team, including my parents years ago. 

Do you judge the program based on the lack of class shown by a few of their supporters?  I am afraid it's hard to separate the two completely.

Our sport is no different that others, the same stories are told in Football, Baseball, Track, and what ever that little game is with the orange ball.

You said it.  Wrestling is personnal!  My brothers and I played lots of sports and my family never got behind me like they did in wrestling.  Football, basketball, swimming fans, they don't have that same emotional intensity.  When that is your baby getting pounded you kinda lose it a little.  I keep thinking of that video topic on indianamat.com about the crazy mom.  I still love showing that to friends.  Every match I go to, even the Purdue vs. Iowa match Friday, you can find 'Patrick's mom' as we call it.  The one family member, usually a mom, who is so into the match she doesn't even realize that she is in the room with 200+ other fans.  Nothing compares to wrestling.  We love to hate each other.  No disrespect, just pure intensity. 

You said it.  Wrestling is personnal!  My brothers and I played lots of sports and my family never got behind me like they did in wrestling.  Football, basketball, swimming fans, they don't have that same emotional intensity.  When that is your baby getting pounded you kinda lose it a little.  I keep thinking of that video topic on indianamat.com about the crazy mom.  I still love showing that to friends.  Every match I go to, even the Purdue vs. Iowa match Friday, you can find 'Patrick's mom' as we call it.  The one family member, usually a mom, who is so into the match she doesn't even realize that she is in the room with 200+ other fans.  Nothing compares to wrestling.  We love to hate each other.  No disrespect, just pure intensity. 

Exactly!  You'll never get me to believe Mater Dei loves Castle, nor does Castle Love Mater Dei.  The athletes themselves may get along just fine, but the fans of BOTH programs typically are not going to invite each other to Sunday Brunch.  It's the same story all over the state, Mish and Penn for example. 

Well, actually I would disagree with that.  As many matches as I called in my life, coached, and wrestled in I have been invited to many a graduation party, fundraiser, and some of my best memories have been when I sat down with my biggest competition.  I love to compete, but I also love getting to know the people who I have loved to hate.  Matt Graham is still someone I can't wait to run into again.  The Mishawaka fans are the hardest on you when you have a whistle in around your neck, but the greatest people when you just want to kick back.  One of my best friends in the world coaches as Ben Davis, but still treated me like a ref everytime I walked on his mat.  It is just part of the culture.  It has nothing to do with you and me.  It is the nature of the sport.

Well, actually I would disagree with that.  As many matches as I called in my life, coached, and wrestled in I have been invited to many a graduation party, fundraiser, and some of my best memories have been when I sat down with my biggest competition.  I love to compete, but I also love getting to know the people who I have loved to hate.  Matt Graham is still someone I can't wait to run into again.  The Mishawaka fans are the hardest on you when you have a whistle in around your neck, but the greatest people when you just want to kick back.  One of my best friends in the world coaches as Ben Davis, but still treated me like a ref everytime I walked on his mat.  It is just part of the culture.  It has nothing to do with you and me.  It is the nature of the sport.

I was speaking more from teh Fan stand point.  As an official, EVERYONE hates you.  ;-)

Now FANS...That's a different story!  I have seen some of the WORST sportsmanship imaginable from fans of programs that I KNOW would not condone that same type of thing out of their athletes.

I am taking about fans literally cussing and spitting at the family members of wrestlers from the opposing team, including my parents years ago. 

Do you judge the program based on the lack of class shown by a few of their supporters?  I am afraid it's hard to separate the two completely.

I would have to agree wholeheartedly. When I was little a fan was removed for throwing a trash can at the opposing team. I've seen parents yelling, cussing, spitting at their kid's opponent (I was the target of some of those myself). There are the teams you can always count on to be classless and yell and harass the other teams' kids. Last year at a tournament there were a group of parents who you could smell alcohol on from 10 feet away and kept taunting and trying to picks fights with the opposing wrestlers. It was at their place though and the cop standing next to them just smiled and did nothing.

Teams and coaches: Nothing but respect for the work they put in.

Fans: Mixed bag of great people and nutjobs.

I believe that shaking hands is the classy think u can do after a match and how u shake hands after u lose tells alot about the wrestler. but the only time i never shook hands with the opposing coach only if they had priarly snuck in a smart comment to me when we shook hands

I know its up to the coaches who shakes hands and who does not. I mean I'm glad my coach always made me shake hands and for the most part the other schools do too. When the match is over, its over. Its time to be a gentlemen and man up. If you get your butt kick and are ashamed of the butt whooping then get better. Its honor to go out there and wrestle and bust your butt in the gym to make varsity. To not shake hands because you are mad or upset makes no sense. I believe calmer heads always prevail, to show emoton in a negative way is to show weakness. I hear some coaches want to protect there kids. From what?? Have to grow up sooner or later. In the real world if you pull these stunts good luck moving ahead. No one likes losing, but there is nothing worse than a soar loser. Strict reflection of coaching. I know some kids who don't shake hands, but are the nicest kids in the world.

I love the mater dei/reitz fans relationships.  theres a definite a strong hate there.. I've seen  family members, one family going to reitz/ the other to MD ready go out back and handle things the old fashion way over a reversal at the end of the third period.   

I am fairly new to being a wrestling fan.  I played basketball in high school and never really cared for it let alone followed it.  A friend of mine was a wrestler in high school and now his son is a wrestler so I have taken a liking to following him.  Im still learning but find it a very enjoyable spectator sport.  I was at the Merrillville semistate saturday and was watching all the matches and kept noticing the kids shaking the other coahes hands after the match regardless of outcome.  I then noticed that the Crown Point kids did not and wondered why til i heard a member of the crowd say the their coaches do not allow it.  I can understand in such a one on one competitive sport that you would want to keep that edge and not be friendly but isnt it also teaching a bad lesson at an early age?  Im sure they have their philosophy as to why they tell their kids not to shake hands but Im not sure their positives outweigh the overall negatives.  Just one persons opinion.

some teams like ours believe that shaking hands just increases the rick of spreading more skin funk to more people. knuck it instead

some teams like ours believe that shaking hands just increases the rick of spreading more skin funk to more people. knuck it instead

Yeah, definitely increases your chances when you shake someone hands more than the full body contact with another person for 6+ minutes, sweating and some times bleeding on them.  Not to mention the mats that have been walked all over in between rounds that contain a whole lot of germs. 

I don't care if you shake or don't shake, just think that is a cop out for saying that we just really don't prefer to do it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.