Tough Sectional at Castle 171

catfish

Austin Warren 171 Castle won the SIAC tourney last week and ranked 15th in the State.  Gets seeded 4th in the sectional and has number one ranked Drake Stein in the second round.  Wrestling and life do not always give you the best breaks.

If I remember right, and that's always in question, Oser had beaten Warren.  The Boonville wrestler was moved up to 171 from 160.  He was seeded ahead of Warren because of a better overall record.  I think that's how it happened.

I don't know anything about the BV wrestler other than their schedule is nowhere near as tough as Castles, but that seems kind of strange that a class changer would be seeded ahead because their would be no chance for head to head.  I am not arguing with the seed because the rules are the rules.

It does seem wrong that a guy could conceivably intentionally duck a guy and get a better seed because of a better record for a weaker schedule.  Has this kind of scenario ever been discussed?  It seems like you would give the wrestler credit if he beat the weight class in the school that failed to wrestle in the head to head.  I'm not even sure if Castle wrestles BV though, so I'm not complaining about this seed.  And actually Warren was coming off an injury when CA wrestled BV, so he might not have wrestled against BV.

If I remember right when CA and BV wrestled the BV wrestler was at 160 and wrestled against Welch. If he was ducking people during the regular season to get a better seed I don't think he would have wrestled against Welch instead of Warren.

I've heard that the Haire's win over Oser was an Injury Default win?  Can MatMedic or Coach Thompson verify this information?  If so, then Haire's #2 seed is a crock.  Was this a conspiracy put together by HH and Boonville to put Warren in the same side of the bracket as Stein and hurt Castle's chances of winning the team title?

My Predicition:  Haire will get 4th, wrestle Brandenstein in 1st round of regionals and be done.  Justice will be served. 

I've heard that the Haire's win over Oser was an Injury Default win?  Can MatMedic or Coach Thompson verify this information?  If so, then Haire's #2 seed is a crock.  Was this a conspiracy put together by HH and Boonville to put Warren in the same side of the bracket as Stein and hurt Castle's chances of winning the team title?

My Predicition:  Haire will get 4th, wrestle Brandenstein in 1st round of regionals and be done.  Justice will be served. 

Kinda harsh

conspiracy? someone is reading way to far into things i think. It's Warren's own fault he's 4th, he lost to Oser. Idk if he had a bad day or what, that's just how it is though. Oser vs. Haire should be a good match. Castle should still pull out a sectional win either way.

OK, I usually do not comment on here. I usually do not comment very often, but I feel like I need to now.

1. Haire decided to wrestle 171 on his own, he is the best that Boonville has to offer in the upper weights. He can beat anybody we have from 152 to heavyweight.

2. Haire has been wrestling 171 since we went to Ben Davis over the holidays. He won there and has not lost at 171 all year he is something like 17 and 0 at 171.  He wrestled 160 at conference because he was a 2 seed all already and he thought he could beat the Jasper kid, who beat him 2 to 0 earlier in the year, he lost in conference 3 to 2 in overtime. Why would he wrestle 171 and wrestle Stein? When he was a 2 seed at 160 in our conference.

3. The conspiracy theory is ridiculous.  Why would we conspire against Castle? Anybody that knows me and the other coaches in our program, knows that we are  not like that. We have to wrestle Castle, Heritage Hills and everybody else in our sectional. I coach for the kids, I have been coaching some of the kids on our High School team since they were 1st and 2nd graders. I am all about the kids and helping them grow up and become citizens that can contribute to our community. The conspiracy theory is crazy.

4. Haire beat Ozer by injury default, Haire shot on him and some how Ozers ankle got caught underneath when he sprawed . Ozer and his coaches decided not to finish the match because of the conference that Saturday.  I would of done the same thing. Ozer is a very good wrestler and is solid. I respect him and the coaches at Heritage Hills very much.  But a win is a win. The score at the time the injury happen was 0 to 0.

5. Don't under estimate Haire. He is a good wrestler and has been around for a while, I wish him the best in the state tournament series.

6. Haire wrestled Welch and lost earlier in the year.  And he has the possibility of wrestling Stein in the finals, if he beats Ozer. Which is gonna be a good match if it happens in the semi finals.  Dodging ? what is he dodging?

No matter where they place, I think all four (Stein, Ozer, Warren, and Haire) have the ability to run the table at the Castle Regional and qualify for semi-state...

Everyone already knows that Stein is the best in the state.  Warren already proved that he could beat both Brandenstein (MD) and King (RE).  Anybody who has watched Haire wrestle knows that he has a lot of natural ability (although imo, he may be slightly undersized for a 171).  I haven't watched Ozer wrestle, but if he beat Warren earlier in the year then he must have some talent.

I do question Haire's choice to move up to 171.  It seems like he would have an easier path to semi-state if he stayed at 160...but if he feels more comfortable at 171, then more power to him.

Haire would have been a 4 seed at 160, draw welch 2nd round. So if haire did get 4th at sectionals he'd draw sims at regionals. So say haire gets 4th at 171, he'll probably draw Brandenstein. I'm thinking most people would rather draw Brandenstein over Sims any day. Castle sectional at 171 could maybe sweep Castle regional.

Haire would have been a 4 seed at 160, draw welch 2nd round. So if haire did get 4th at sectionals he'd draw sims at regionals. So say haire gets 4th at 171, he'll probably draw Brandenstein. I'm thinking most people would rather draw Brandenstein over Sims any day. Castle sectional at 171 could maybe sweep Castle regional.

Any way you look at it looks like a couple of pretty darn good 171's will not be wrestling at semi state.

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to let you know, your prediction was partially correct...haire did get 4th and wrestle Brandenstein 1st round and then sent him home w/a 13-2 loss, so yes JUSTICE was Served! ;D

I was suprised to see Oser lose to north. He wrestled good a sectionals and kinda choked at regionals. Haire looked good against Brandenstein, hope to see him wrestle that well this weekend. Didn't really get to see Warren wrestle at regionals, but he has a good semi-state draw. Stein vs. Underwood in semi-finals I look forward to. I don't think Stien will have any problems but it's nice to see him have to wrestle. Haire could pull an "upset" this weekend if he wrestles like he did at regionals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.