Smaller Schools and Rankings Lets hear from you...

ATC

Karl, I would say the next step in the ranking process would be to find 10-20 coaches from each of these classes to vote on the top 10.  With all of the work that you've done classing them, we are well on our way to having a 3 class rankings system.

I agree....or taking a page from the way the football coaches vote.  From each of the 16 regionals have a rep that votes from each of the 3 classes.  One of the 16 from each class being responsible for collecting votes.

When I first heard the idea I honestly was not all that excited about it.  Now as I see it progressing I think that it is an awsome idea.  It adds something for the small schools to work toward.  I think that the votes should be taken seriously and this should be something that small schools really work toward and take pride in. I also like the idea of some type of award at the end of the season like a simple plaque, or trouphy.  If it were given out at team state maybe the teams recieving the awards could bring their kids and that could help attendence if it was given out to say a top ten, thats pry a couple of hundred kids.  I also know that with all the attention a ranked football team brings it would really help a wrestling team to be able to be recognized, and be ranked. 

When I first heard the idea I honestly was not all that excited about it.  Now as I see it progressing I think that it is an awsome idea.  It adds something for the small schools to work toward.  I think that the votes should be taken seriously and this should be something that small schools really work toward and take pride in. I also like the idea of some type of award at the end of the season like a simple plaque, or trouphy.  If it were given out at team state maybe the teams recieving the awards could bring their kids and that could help attendence if it was given out to say a top ten, thats pry a couple of hundred kids.  I also know that with all the attention a ranked football team brings it would really help a wrestling team to be able to be recognized, and be ranked. 

Remember that the football teams get a classed playoffs to prove if the rankings were correct or not.  I would much rather have a tournament then a trophy.

Remember that the football teams get a classed playoffs to prove if the rankings were correct or not.  I would much rather have a tournament then a trophy.

Totally agree, but this is better than nothing, kind of like one of those "mythical" championships that I always here college football teams winning back in the day.  Either way it would be pretty cool to see some small schools get recognized.

My time is better spent working towards a conference championship rather than some meaningless ranking.

I dont see why you cant do both really, its not as though i'm going to quit going for the NECC title because there is some sort of rankings system out there.  I dont see how something like this can hurt.  Even if its meaningless it is at least interesting a good for discussion.  If more people are talking about wrestling it can't hurt.  

I dont see why you cant do both really, its not as though i'm going to quite going for the NECC title because there is some sort of rankings system out there.  I dont see how something like this can hurt.  Even if its meaningless it is at least interesting a good for discussion.  If more people are talking about wrestling it can't hurt. 

Obviously Y2 is up too lake changing stinky diapers

Not to be the Negative Nancy, but do you think schools (especially small ones) are really going to pay for entire teams to go to the State Finals just to receive some certificate?  I don't think they are going to be able to convince anyone this is a good use of resources.  I have my doubts about whether families/teams/clubs would pay their own way, plus travel  up to 6-7 hours round trip, to get a 30 second recognition. 

Not to be the Negative Nancy, but do you think schools (especially small ones) are really going to pay for entire teams to go to the State Finals just to receive some certificate?  I don't think they are going to be able to convince anyone this is a good use of resources.  I have my doubts about whether families/teams/clubs would pay their own way, plus travel  up to 6-7 hours round trip, to get a 30 second recognition. 

I bet they would show up if their team were wrestling in state finals....

I dont disagree, but im not saying it will be a thousand kids, but if you recognize say the top ten in the rankings in each class, if coach shows up, brings a wife or a friend, your at 60 right there.  if they bring a couple people it could add up quickly.  Im not saying whole tems or thousands of people but  an extra hundred or so wouldn't hurt.  Just thinking positive here.

Some might fear that a class ranking might be used by some others as a substitute for a class tournament to get those small schools to support something that benefits them.

I really dont think this was brought up by the big schools as a substitute.  I think it is seen as something that can help grow the popularity of the idea of an eventual classed team tournament. 

Who is going to sponsor these rankings? 

To me it looks like the big school coaches want to give us some rankings so all the small school coaches follow them in saving their precious team state.  If the big schools were really concerned about small schools they would have pushed for a classed team tournament way before the whole thing was put on life support.  I like real rankings where you can prove them to be valid or invalid at the end of the year. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.