SIAC 2010-2011 season.

md85

I believe Reitz will be the top dog this year.  They return alot from a really strong team.  I think MD will be second.  They also return a strong core from last year, but I do not believe they will be as good as Reitz.  Castle should be third.  They have a strong core of studs, but graduation hit them harder than the other two.  Everyone may feel free to contradict my guesses.  Discuss. :D

Lets get it stared

Just my opinion......

I will have to disagree about Reitz.  They lost 8 seniors from last year.  They do have a 6 returning wrestlers and they have 3 (Little Kuhn, Little Johns, and King) moving up to varsity this year.  They will have 7-8 quality wreslters for varisty, however that will not be enough to beat MD 2 years in a row.  MD returns 13 or 14 varsity wrestlers.  MD roster is very deep this year.

Castle will be down this year.....They will still have 6 very good wrestlers, but they will have to many holes to compete with MD and Reitz.

I would not be suprise with Memorial and Harrison becoming more competitive.  They could battle for 4-5 place, and possibly upsetting Castle.

Central and North have new coaches....Central will be very young.  They only had one Senior on Varsity last year...time will tell if Lap can turn them into competitors.  North had some nice number last year, but only 1 stud.  We will have to wait and see with North

Bosse will continue to struggle until they get more numbers out.

My SIAC Prediction

1 MD

2 Reitz

3 Memorial

4 Castle

5 Harrison

6 Central

7 North 

8 Bosse

Conference Trny Champs:  MD

Mater Dei should be the team to beat this year.  Returning 13 varsity wrestlers and possibly adding Lennie May back into the mix.  Should be a very solid lineup.  I agree Reitz will be tough as well, but I look for MD to take the top spot in the SIAC once again. 

First of all MD is the best in the South....I do not think they will be challenged by Reitz or Castle...neither of them match up very well with MD.  MD will be match up problems with almost very body this year.  I agree they are very deep and talented.

Now to the whispers coming form the west-side:

MD may have 3 varsity level wreslters not make the varsity line up this year...they may not make the cut during wrestle offs...It must be nice for Coach Schafer to have that luxury to have that kind of competition in the room....since the Fball teammay be playing late into Nov.

Whispers form the north-side;

From people supporting the 1st ave school are suggesting that they will be a power in 2 years....they believe the soph, fresh, and 8th grade classes is as good or better than anyone else in SIAC.

Whipser from the east-side:

Could Castle not fill an entire varsity roster?.....It has been said if they can get a full roster, they will be filling it with 1st year wrestlers...oouch.

Like see if Harrison continues to grow and improve?  I will have to get close to Tiger land to hear info on the mighty tigers.

More later

Memorial returns 10 of 13 varsity wrestlers, and they won't forfeit 103 this year.  They return 9 regional qualifiers, 5 semi-state qualifiers from last year and 6 semi-state qualifiers total (one SSQ from '08-'09 didn't break the line-up last year), and 1 state qualifier.  They will be a very experienced group and should be able to finish closer to the top of the SIAC then in years past.

What about the individual part of the tournament? Lightweight studs Hall and Kuhn are gone. Will Vanhook make 103 again and take over the SIAC? Will Wedding and Welch be battling it out in the finals at 112 with Goebel not to far off of them.

My individual picks are: (going off what I have heard)

103: Kuhn ® or Little Brown (CA)

112: Wedding (ME) or Goebel (MD)

119: Welch (CA)

125: Moody ®

130: Brown (CA)

135: Dowdy ® or Schroeder (MD)

140: Rueger ®

145: Prasek (ME)

152: Welch (CA)

160: Welch (CA)

171: Boots (MD)

189: Sandwith (ME)

215: Van Winkle (MD)

285: up for grabs

Team:

Bosse- another down year

Castle- returns the Welch boys and now has TWO Browns. Will be good but not good enough for an SIAC title.

Central- new coach. new kids. Young team. Possible upseting Castle.

Harrison- Losing alot of kids. Returns 1 of 5 wrestlers from the regional last year. Mastison is really going to have to pull off some upsets if he wants to place in the conference and help the Warriors.

Mater DEi- Will lead the SIAC and win it. Returns to the top of SOuthern Indiana.

Memorial- Will be better than last year. Full team with multiple guys having a shot at state.

North- lost its one stud from last year. Rookie coaching staff.

Reitz- Will place 2nd or 3rd in the SIAC. Several should be at Conseco and win titles here.

I think  you might see a couple of different names in there.  Will Vibbert wrestle at 103 again (if so he will compete for title), Henderson at 125 and look out for Weinzafel at 145.  It'll be interesting to watch it all shake out this year.  Can't wait to get it started.

Dont forget about North, 103, 152, 160 171, and 189 they will be strong at those weight classes this year. They have 3 returning juniors and a sophomore that could do some upsetting in the siac this year!

Who does North have coming back that could shake up the SIAC?

I'm definitely looking forward to the season.  Several interesting individual match-ups and most of the top teams other than maybe Castle are improving their overall depth.  Hopefully, all the wrestlers on SIAC Football teams will make deep runs injury free.  I agree MD should be considered the favorite (low risk pick year over year  :'()   However, looking over my rough draft (bar napkin) of the Reitz line-up, we have some interesting scenarios and some potential impact (1st year varsity) guys along with (hopefully) a few Big Boys from the FB team.

My main issue right now is whether or not to vote for Coach Geobel tomorrow.  Historically, I would vote for him thinking his responsibilities would keep him out of the wrestling room a few days a month............ but ever since Coach Schaefer took over...........it's all about the politics  :-\  

North has been able to field competative teams in recent years, but to say that they will be able to shake up the SIAC may be a little premature.  It seems that last year they had a big fan on here saying the same thing.  I don't think anything will be differant with their team this year.  Early numbers indicate a good turnout, they do return serveral varsity wrestlers.  I feel they will compete everytime they step on the mat but still can't get over that hump of the top teams in the area.

My picks

MD

Reitz

Castle

Memorial

Harrison

North

Central

Bosse

North has been able to field competative teams in recent years, but to say that they will be able to shake up the SIAC may be a little premature.  It seems that last year they had a big fan on here saying the same thing.  I don't think anything will be differant with their team this year.  Early numbers indicate a good turnout, they do return serveral varsity wrestlers.  I feel they will compete everytime they step on the mat but still can't get over that hump of the top teams in the area.

My picks

MD

Reitz

Castle

Memorial

Harrison

North

Central

Bosse

Yeah we wont be a top team but we do have a couple of kids that could do something this year.

I feel Reitz will have the team to beat this year because of several factors.

Number 1 - They got the MD monkey off their back.

Number 2 - Returning wrestlers are hungry for a chance at team state.

Number 3 - 7 potential state qualifiers. ( D Kuhn, B Johns, G Vanhook, T Moody, D Dowdy, B Rueger and A King )

Number 4 - 3 Football players that could make some noise ( M Schnarr, D James and B Kemp ).

I'm not sure what weight everyone will wrestle at yet but the lower weight boys will be a handful for anyone in the state. With King anchoring the middle weights ( finished in the top 3 at iswa state with a broken nose after second match ). And a super freshman last year, Schnarr could be pound for pound one of the strongest wrestlers in the state! Should make for a great year of wrestling!

112 could be a doozy again with Wedding, Johns,Welch, Goebel, and Braye all fighting for that top 4 in the SIAC.

I'm sorry. I have seem to have forgot that Turi from Central will also be in the mix at 112. But man! Wedding (ME), Johns ®, Welch (CA), Goebel (MD), Braye (N) and now Turi (CE). I feel bad for whoever Harrison and Bosse throw out at 112.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.