Southern Indiana Wrestling School

hoosierdad

Some of us parents have been kicking around the idea of starting a year round wrestling schhool here in Southern Indiana, just wanted to get some input from you guys. You guys up north have the Red Cobras and CIA's, Down here in the South we're limited to small school clubs. Curious to see what kind of interest there may be and if we would have the support needed to get this off the ground. Would love to hear some thoughts from you all.

I think it would be great for southern Indiana.  You can see where kids attending these schools are really improving.  I just hope there would be enough interest to support something here.  How are south are  you talking about? 

...my interest is sparked...

...we are in columbus in...

...if you have enough interested teams/sites within a reasonable distance from each other, the practices could travel...3-5 months at one site then 3-5 at the next...it would even up the travel time for everyone, in turn relinquish some the responsibilities of always having to have practice at one facility...

...just a thought...

If you build it they will come! I really don't believe that traveling practices is the answser, sorry coach Trapp! By the way I was really empressed with your club coaches and the club kids this weekend. You have a good system in place there. Back to this school, I really do believe that Southern Indiana could support a club it will depend on a few things that have to be in place before you start it.

Where were all you guys the last two years?

I ran a Purler Wrestling Academy, Foundations of Wrestling, weekly practice in Evansville, IN from October 2007 to December 2009.  I stopped at the end of 2009 due to low attendance.  When Nick Purler and I decided to close it down it was down to one student.  This Foundations of Wrestling weekly practice was supplemental to your school or club practices and ran year round.  I taught the Purler system and also had numerous one day Purler Takedown Camps as well as one day Purler Leg-Riding Camps.  Nick Purler would e-mailed me the weekly practices.  They were identical to the one's he and his brother Tony did at their weekly Foundations of Wrestling practices.  It was for elementary, middle, and high school wrestlers.  While Nick and Tony have waiting lists, I was struggling to have two, three, or four kids come consistently.

We thought Southern Indiana would be a hot bed for wrestling also, and that this weekly, year long academy would succeed.  I advertised it on this web site, Indianamat.com, for the whole two years.  I set out fliers and talked to hundreds of parents who liked the idea, but when push came to shove they did not come.  If I had a dollar for every parent who called me and then did not show up, I could retire to sunny Florida.

I would like to have a Regional Training Site here in Evansville, IN also, but when I asked around someone told me they tried it and nobody came.  Funny, this sounds familiar.

Good luck to you guys.  I hope you figure it out.  I would be more than willing to reopen if there is enough interest.  Contact Nick Purler at www.purlerwrestling.com if you would like the Evansville, IN site to reopen.

I love the Puler system and actually brought a few guys down to a weekend camp ant Evansville a few years ago.  I would be pushing my kids to go there all the time if it was anyplace within an hour of Seymour.  However, Evanville is just way too far away.

We have a smaller one mat facility with weight room (seperate from our high school open mat) we are running out of a Seymour MMA school off US31 for the freestyle season.  It is for middle and high school kids currently.  The land has plenty of room to expand into a major training facility and the owner would love more than anything to have a training complex for combat sports of all kinds.  But bring in the number of kids (and MMA guy during the other days) and have solid coaches needed to build and sustain such a site would be a big worry to the guy who runs it would have.  If that all fell into place he would start building on tomorrow.   At this point talks were to hopefully make the current facility into a a possible year round training facility if the interest remained strong but with only a handful of middle school kids this year even thats a big if for the near future.  However, I do think we could have some parents intersted in Seymour if the distance and cost was right.  Seymour is currently working on developing a half or full year round elementary system with multiple teams from our schools and other interested kids in the area.  So the development would be there for something after the elementary age in the near future.

Now the pesamistic part of things.  I know in the past we have also talked to others in the area about a colaborative RTC type practice but nothing really developed from that.  One issue I think the old Columbus RTC had was lack of number from other schools.  I see some of this due to the main wrestling schools being so spread out in our area.  This is probably a big reason why no one else started a southern RTC and places like CIA hasn't tried to have a southern branch as of yet.   I hate to say it but even the top guys want to drive less than an hour train even if its against other top guys.  So convencing those boarder line dedicated guys to start making that type of trip is hard.  Obviously until something was established that would be hard to do.  Unfortunately their isn't to many places for a centralized facility that is less than an hour away from most people.  After Seymour you don't see to much (unless Skinner want to build a state of the art facility in Scottsburg) until you get the the Indiana boarder.  Then from there not much until you get to Evanville area.  I'd love to have a nice facility here but having the coaches and the number is where the issue happens.  The other issues becomes cost.  If its to cheap they place may not be able to run and to high it may drive to many people off.  Its hard to get even top guys to spend a large sum of money on an unestablished place.  Thus its even harder to get the boarder line guys to give it a shot.  With both of these isues you can overcome some of uncertanty by local coaches pushing kids to try it or having a bigger name coach running it that has creditials enough to bring people in.

The Hoosier Elite Wrestling Academy has been going for two years now out of Bloomington. It is actually moving to a new facility soon because the room is getting too packed. The room is loaded with talent and offers the Southern Indiana kida a great opportunity to train with kids from all over. There are several state champions that train there and is kind of a hidden secret as it has never been advertised. The Academy trains 11 months of the year taking July off. We are gearing up for freestyle,  taking three teams to Ohio Tournament of Champions (Elementary, Middle School, and High School) , and a team to the Disney Duals in June to represent Indiana in the All Star Division.  If you would like more information email me at LMIRACLE20@MSN.COM

We love to come attend some sessions there, but you are about a 2 hour drive from us, makes it hard to block off 5 - 6 hours (4 hours of driving, 1-2 hours of wrestling) during the week for practice. I appreciate it though!

We love to come attend some sessions there, but you are about a 2 hour drive from us, makes it hard to block off 5 - 6 hours (4 hours of driving, 1-2 hours of wrestling) during the week for practice. I appreciate it though!

I totally understand that. If you ever have a group that wants to come up on a weekend or day you guys have off please let me know. I can always puull together 10-15 kids last minute for a good hard live practice if I have kids from another area traveling in. You might also be interested in one of our mini camps that we are starting to put together. We will have a guest coach come in on for a Friday evening session then the kids stay the night and swim, watch movies, and hang out just being kids. Saturday morning is early morning run followed by a pancake breakfast. Then we have our Saturday morning session with the same guest coach. The mini camps are great because they are inexpensive, kids have fun, and they get to learn from a different high caliber coach. Just to be clear though, the Hoosier Elite Wrestling Academy practices are normally very tough. They are significantly tougher that a club type practice. The kids currently involved range in experience levels from first year studs to 10 year national caliber type kids. They all have one thing in common though. They all want to work hard and be the best they can be. It is such a great environment for them to excel and it is a refreshing envoronment to coach in. Let me know if you have any questions LMIRACLE20@MSN.COM

THIS YEAR'S CLINICIANS

Casey Stouffer  Coach - College of  Mt. St. Joe?s  6th World Team Trials

Pat DeGain Coach - Indiana University NCAA All-American

Matt Burlingame Coach - Manchester College Virginia Tech Team Captain

Sergeant Samuel Bailey  Army Combatives Coach  Iraqi Veteran

Sergeant Kirk Holcombe Cadet National Champion  Hwt Army Combatives

Jason Keaton - Pro MMA, 2nd Pan Am Games Judo National Champ

Joe Neely  Sambo Instructor

Shane Perkey  4x NCAA All-American Coach Lindsey Wilson College

Dave Barnes  NCAA All-American

Former Clinicians

Franky James ? Campbellsville College Head Coach

Scottt Smith ? BJJ Black Belt

Jeremy Bolt ? former U of I wrestler, State Qualifier, and MMA Fighter

Mike Brown ? 2x State Qualifer, Brown Belt, and CAI Head Coach

Royce Alger ? NCAA AA - Iowa

Jake Obrien ?  2x State Champ- UFC Veteran

Alex Stiebling ? UFC Veteran, Pride Veteran

Scott Hinkel ? Purdue Head Coach, NCAA AA

Ben Wissel ? NCAA AA Purdue

Chris Fleeger ? NCAA AA Purdue

Glenn Lanham ? Purdue Assistant Coach

Duane Goldman ? IU Head Coach, 4x NCAA AA

Kevin Tate ? Rend Lake College Head Coach

Ed Wojdyla ? Judo Black Belt, and Cultural Exchange Director

Kacey Stouffer ? Mount Saint Joe College Head Coach

Harry McGinnis ? Triton Junior College Head Coach

Sgt. John Lindsey ? National Guard Hand to Hand Combat Instructor

Sgt. Dan Mansfield - ? National Guard Hand to Hand Combat Instructor

Daniel Rosbottom ? NAIA National Qualifier, 2x State Qualifier

Robert Rosbottom ? 2x State Champ

Josh Stith ? State Qualifier ? MMA Instructor at Full Moon Martial Arts

Brent Maddox ? MMA Instructor at Full Moon Martial Arts

University of Louisville football players -  former wrestlers

Keith Seiracki ? World Greco Medalist

Jay Yates ? NCAA AA

Kyle Fellure ? former U of I head coach

Charlie Pingleton ? NCAA AA, 2x State Runner-up

James Wortley ? Black Belt Judo

Michael Horton ? U of I Wrestler

Shelby Wilson ? Olympic Gold Medalist

Terry Wetherald ? U of I Head Coach for 30+ Years

Thomas Winn ? Mt. St. Joe?s

Billy James ? 2x Oklahoma State Placer

Stephen Bradley ? 3x State Champion

Matt Irwin ? University of Indianapolis

Jared Swint ? Cumberland College TN

Andy Bricker ? Campbellsville College

Evon Russell ? Triton Jr. College and Dana College

King?s College Wrestlers

Limestone College Wrestlers

Dana College Wrestlers

Virginia Military Academy Wrestlers

• 1 month later...

JEFFERSONVILLE RTC SUMMARY:

Jeffersonville hosted another successful RTC last night.  With a low of 20 kids on the last night, and a height of over 50 kids on our ?Greco Live Night?.  We had clinicians from Mt. St. Joe College, Lindsey Wilson College, Indiana University and Manchester College.  We also brought in Army Combative instructors that worked with kids in Wrestling, Judo, and Jiu-Jitsu.  And on our last night we had a man come in from Cincinnati to work with the kids in Sambo wrestling before we try going to the USAW Kentucky state Greco/Freestyle and Sambo championships.  Different schools that attended this RTC were: Trinity KY, Dupont Manual KY, New Washington, New Albany, Floyd Central, Columbus East, Jennings County, Jeffersonville and Scottsburg.  While we never had all schools there at once, (as many schools only attended once),  they were there at  different times non-the less.  This tells me with the variety in instruction and activity we did offer something that different clubs wanted to see at times.  It is my goal to keep working to get more kids together in southern Indiana at one time.

A summary of each night is listed below.

Updated 5/6/10

Wednesday - March 3rd - 5-6:30  (ran by JHS Coaches, folkstyle emphasis)

- approximately 40 in attendance from Jeffersonville, Dupount Manual, Scottsburg and New Albany from agest 6th grade to 12th grade

Wednesday - April 7 - 4:30-6:30  MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH'S - Casey Stouffer - Head Coach

-33 wrestlers there tonight from Trinity, New Albany, Jeffersonville and Dupont Manual - Coach Stouffer talked about differences between div. 1 - 2 - 3 NCAA Wrestling, showed Greco for an hour and 15 minutes and the kids got 45 minutes of good Greco live in.

Monday 12 - Army Combative Instructors from Forth Knox - 38 in attendance - Great new techniques shown!!!

SSG Bailey

I'm Army Combatives pure I've completed Army Combatives Level

I-IV. I am the 194th Combatives NCOIC and I am the Combatives Facility

NCOIC. I coach the 194th Combatives Team and am the Assistant Coach for

the Post team.

SSG Holcombe Combatives

Level I-II. 194th Combatives Assistant

Instructor.

Fights Heavyweight on the 194th Combatives Team. As a High School

wrestler compiled a 137-32 record, also has a 243-26 Freestyle and a

56-1 Greco Roman record. His titles include 6 State Freestyle, 2 Greco

State. He also won the Cadet JR Olympic Title 1993 and 94 and was a 2

time Schoolboy festival Champ.

Jason Keaton

Holds a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and is certified

in Army Combatives Level I-IV. He is the 16th Cav Combatives Director

and serves as Head Coach for 16th Cav and the Post Team from which he

trained 3 Soldiers to top 4 finishes at the All Army Tournament. He

holds a Pro MMA record of 12-3, 19-5 Amateur. He was the US 90kg Judo

National champ for 2009 and came in 2nd place at the Pan American Games.

Wednesday - April 14th ? GRECO NIGHT LIVE! ?

3 mats going - 6 USAW Licensed officials - 50+ kids - 3 matches a piece - thank you to Columbus East and Jennings County for each brining a team down, and to Louis Rosbottom for organizing a whole crew of refs

Wednesday - April 21 - 4:30-6:30 MANCHESTER COLLEGE

Matt Burlingame enters his second year as the head coach of the Manchester College wrestling program. He spent the 2006-07 year as the assistant wrestling coach at Manchester and helped coach the Spartans to a 3rd place finish at the Midwest Regional.  Additionally, two of his wrestlers qualified for the DIII National Championship and one became Manchester 's 22 All-American.  Matt has twelve years of coaching experience as well as a Division I wrestling background. 

Prior to joining the Manchester program, Matt coached high school in Kansas, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania.  In his coaching career, he has coached 5 individual state champions, 7 state place winners, and numerous state qualifiers.  He has also help coach these teams to league and regional championships, and two top ten finishes in the state tournament.

Matt graduated from Virginia Tech in 1995 with a B.S. in Fisheries Science.  While at Virginia Tech, Matt was a four year starter and 3 year co-captain for the Hokies? wrestling program.  During his tenure, Matt was a Virginia Intercollegiate League State Champion and 3-time place winner, a 4-time Colonial Athletic Conference place winner, and graduated 10th on the Hokies? all-time win list.

Following graduation from Virginia Tech, Matt received a M.S. in Biology from Kansas State.  Matt and his wife, Julie, and their three children Emma, Elijah, and Isaiah reside in Fort Wayne.

Thank you Coach Burlingame for spending an hour and ahalf on counnter offense with us, and then wrestling a half hour live.  We had 23 in attendance from Jeffersonville and Trinity high School, KY. 

Wednesday - April 28 - 4:30-6:30  - INDIANA UNIVERSITY- Pat DeGain

Thanks Coach DeGain! What great enthusiasm you put into a practice!! The kids got a lot out of this!!  35 kids in attendance from Southwestern and Jeffersonville.  Great hard drilling session at the end!

Thursday 29 -4:30-6:30  Lindsey Wilson College - Head Coach Corey Ruff

Thank you Coach Ruff and Coach Perkey - our kids say "we have a new gut wrench now" thanks for the tips, it was a great practice! 30+ kids in attendance.

Wednesday - May 5 - 4:30-6:30 SAMBO WRESTLING - Joe Neeley

20 in attendance to try something new....lots of great throws....he even broght gi,s for the kids to try.....joe nneley: 9 time national champ, pan am champ, world finalist, first kentucky wrestler to ever wrestle for the marine team

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.