National Anthem

Barrq

Base,

I'm sorry, I could'nt help but laugh again.  "My name is Matt Foly,  I'm a motivational speaker"  "I live in a van down by the river"   I'm "triced" divorced.

Ah yeah, one of the greats

If anyone has never seen this before, it is a MUST SEE.  One of the great skits in SNL history.  I really LOVE the fact that even the other actors (David Spade, Christina Applegate) CANNOT keep a straight face as Chris Farley improvs the larger-than-life Matt Foley, motivational speaker.

ENJOY!!!

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Down By The River

I am not knocking her bravery or effort, but that was bad. It is about the anthem, not the singer. Don't force it...let it flow. We are not here (or there) to see you. Sing the song for what it stands for, not entertainment value.

I also noticed the heels. That made me cringe as well.....

In regards to comments on how other SS's address the national anthem....

I don't think the flag needs to be "spotlighted". There is something omni-present and symbolic of looking through the dark at the flag. It needs to be at the highest point possible. From this, we all look up to acknowledge its reverance.

PS I thought the ladies at Eville sang one helluvan anthem!

Evansville SS.  Please shine "ONE" of your spot lights on the flag while the Anthem is played.  It is very disrespectful to leave the flag in the dark!

Great comment!  I was amazed at that.  More than one person commented on that.    It just goes to show you that the singing of the National Anthem has become more about the singer than the song.    :-(

One of the most difficult songs in the world to sing.  Then add to it the pressure of the moment - flag presentation, spot light, thousands of people......wow - I thought she did a nice job of recovering after her voice obvisiously wasn't hitting the notes as she planned.   

I would like to see the young lady from Evansville North sing it at Conseco sometime.  She is the best I have ever heard at that age (or maybe any age)

I do prefer the live vocal version versus the taped instrumental played at most highschool events.  Either way, it's my favorite song!

Ditto on the North girl.  She has an amazing voice...and when her sister joined her at Semi State it was even that much better...great harmonizing.  Unfortunately...I think she's a senior this year, so we may have lost our chance with her! Whether it's done poorly or well...the song never fails to inspire me...and you're right...she's got more guts than me...I could never get in front of all those people and open myself up to this much ridicule (of course...I've got a terrible singing voice, so I wouldn't put any of you through that torture)!!!

I don't think the flag needs to be "spotlighted". There is something omni-present and symbolic of looking through the dark at the flag. It needs to be at the highest point possible. From this, we all look up to acknowledge its reverance.

Flag etiquette dictates that the flag be in the light.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

* The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.

* The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.

* The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.

* The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

* The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.

* The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.

* The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.

* The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

* When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

* The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

* When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

Something I was wondering.  If they want to have a high school kid do the anthem (which we do) then why not invite one of the states top choirs to do it. Maybe the defending state choir champions, or maybe a high school choir from within the city that has attained accolades and is well known for their singing prowess.  Why does it always have to be "1" person???  Lets get a group of well deserving kids out there and give them the chance to make a memory at Conseco, just like the wrestlers get to!

I say we start a tradition like the one at the United Center for Blackhawks games.  I get chills everytime I go there for the anthem.  Here is a link for those who are not sure what I am talking about.  Makes me want to go invade Canada as soon as it is over!  ;D

Where was Simon and Paula as it appeared to be an audition?  Don't stray from the lyrics and sing the song the way the song is meant to be presented.  One does not take OUR national anthem and personalize it.  And yes, thank God my kid wasn't in the finals as I would have been very nervous in regards to his reaction down on the mat listening (afraid of the giggles or flat out laughing) in front of everyone.  And yes, it does take guts.  But shouldn't someone listen to the singer before signing them up?

I recommend a contingency plan that starts with pushing the "play" button on a recorder.  Personally, she deserved more "boos" than Tyler Willis did, and I am dead serious about that.

If I offended anyone with my post, well I am ex-military so I feel I can speak up.

I say we start a tradition like the one at the United Center for Blackhawks games.  I get chills everytime I go there for the anthem.  Here is a link for those who are not sure what I am talking about.  Makes me want to go invade Canada as soon as it is over!  ;D

yes! i mentioned this earlier, thanks for putting this on!!!  i get tears in my eyes everytime i go to a game!

I say we start a tradition like the one at the United Center for Blackhawks games.  I get chills everytime I go there for the anthem.  Here is a link for those who are not sure what I am talking about.  Makes me want to go invade Canada as soon as it is over!  ;D

Here is a none hockey cheer version  of the Anthem by the same guy.  For those that don't know some hockey venues are famous for clapping/cheering  through the Anthem as a sign of patriotism.  However, that makes it hard to actually hear the voice when captured on audio/video.

If you don't want to hear his pre-commentary skip to the middle part of the video.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.