Semi-State Brackets Posted??

4Dragons

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the IHSAA not publishing the brackets until the Regionals are final, and also give the Richmond Regional contestants an advantage that the rest of the field wasn't?

if that is true it is complete BS I would love to have seen this before our meet. It would have totally changed some things!!!

Pretty soon we will go back to where the champion only advances if people want to start throwing matches.  I guess when winning is concerned, we can throw ethics and integrity out the window.

Whatever, but with the current system if I am wrestling in a 3rd place match and I know which champion it would put me against if I won, it would effect how I wrestled. If i had a choice of a guy I had beaten before of a guy I had never beaten it would make a difference. unfair advantage and they should redraw.

Although it surprised me that they let any of the pairings out I would have to say that it is not as big of a deal as it might be if it were some other Regional.  Traditionally the best place to finish in the Richmond Regional if you want a chance at a positive draw is first.  Guys from our Regional who place any where else and go on the qualify for State are not very plentiful.  I can promise we (NC) will not be defaulting any matches to finish lower.

Whatever, but with the current system if I am wrestling in a 3rd place match and I know which champion it would put me against if I won, it would effect how I wrestled. If i had a choice of a guy I had beaten before of a guy I had never beaten it would make a difference. unfair advantage and they should redraw.

That is the spirit, I love it when people throw matches to presumably get a better draw.  That makes this sport so much more exciting and great. 

That is the spirit, I love it when people throw matches to presumably get a better draw.  That makes this sport so much more exciting and great.  

If you are the third best guy at the Richmond Regional and you decided that throwing your conso match is going to give you a better draw (chance to qualify for State) and is therefore a great idea then I would suggest that you get out an buy a lottery ticket.  

Joe...I hope you do not ban me for promoting gambling.

That is the spirit, I love it when people throw matches to presumably get a better draw.  That makes this sport so much more exciting and great. 

I'm sorry it is just frustrating, for the second year in a row watching my son get a worse draw by finishing 3rd instead of forth. So your saying if you had the chance to go to state and you could wrestle McCarthy in the first round or Mullins in the ticket round, which would you choose? Would have been nice to have that option. That is just the one weight class I have really put some thought into but I'm sure it holds true across the board if people really put some thought into it. There is a reason they don't put these out before regionals and it should have remained.

At each weight, a given wrestler will face a qualifier from the same semi-state, no matter what he finishes.  In other words, if you tank a 3rd place match, you're just putting yourself against the kid that beat the kid you wanted to avoid.  The ONLY time this could ever possibly be beneficial is if there were an injury or a major upset that dropped a clearly tougher kid to a lower spot (i.e. Jake O'Brien in the early 90s being sick and forfeiting his semifinal and consolation matches after he'd qualified for state).  This year, there is seemingly no situation like this that a Richmond qualifier could get draw against.  I see absolutely no advantage anywhere to finishing 2nd instead of 1st or 4th instead of 3rd.

At each weight, a given wrestler will face a qualifier from the same semi-state, no matter what he finishes.  In other words, if you tank a 3rd place match, you're just putting yourself against the kid that beat the kid you wanted to avoid.  The ONLY time this could ever possibly be beneficial is if there were an injury or a major upset that dropped a clearly tougher kid to a lower spot (i.e. Jake O'Brien in the early 90s being sick and forfeiting his semifinal and consolation matches after he'd qualified for state).  This year, there is seemingly no situation like this that a Richmond qualifier could get draw against.  I see absolutely no advantage anywhere to finishing 2nd instead of 1st or 4th instead of 3rd.

You are wrong. If you just look at the regional champions and assume you will have to beat 1 of them to get out you might as well pick the lowest ranked kid as opposed to the #2 kid in the state. Example Gadient avenged a loss by pinning walker in the consulations and getting 3rd only to be rewarded with potentialy Mullins in the ticket round. Same thing happened last year. 4 place at 112 got a better draw than 3rd. So we watched kids he beat go on to state and place. So knowing the brackets in advance woul have made a difference. I'm sure it will for others as well.

You are wrong. If you just look at the regional champions and assume you will have to beat 1 of them to get out you might as well pick the lowest ranked kid as opposed to the #2 kid in the state. Example Gadient avenged a loss by pinning walker in the consulations and getting 3rd only to be rewarded with potentialy Mullins in the ticket round. Same thing happened last year. 4 place at 112 got a better draw than 3rd. So we watched kids he beat go on to state and place. So knowing the brackets in advance woul have made a difference. I'm sure it will for others as well.

Point taken. Still rare.

I'm sorry it is just frustrating, for the second year in a row watching my son get a worse draw by finishing 3rd instead of forth. So your saying if you had the chance to go to state and you could wrestle McCarthy in the first round or Mullins in the ticket round, which would you choose? Would have been nice to have that option. That is just the one weight class I have really put some thought into but I'm sure it holds true across the board if people really put some thought into it. There is a reason they don't put these out before regionals and it should have remained.

Knowing your draw beforehand and throwing a match to get a draw that is supposed to be better is unethical and compromises the integrity of the sport.  On top of that if you want to start playing this game of throwing matches, at what point will everyone be trying to do it?

Knowing your draw beforehand and throwing a match to get a draw that is supposed to be better is unethical and compromises the integrity of the sport.  On top of that if you want to start playing this game of throwing matches, at what point will everyone be trying to do it?

I could envision the scenario now......we defaulted first...no we defaulted first....and so on.  I just think most kids, who are competitors, want to win the match they are in.

I could NEVER envision myself telling a kid to lose on purpose.  All the work I have done to gain their trust would be out the window and they would question everything I did from then on out.

I guess if everyone were as upstanding and as moral as you they would post the formula before regionals every year... Funny thing is they don't and they shouldn't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.