Why is Greco State at the Pig Farm?

WaltHarris

Why is Greco state at the Pig Farm again (Indiana State Fairgrounds West Pavilion)?  Gosh, I thought we were done with that joint.  Having a wrestling tournament, let alone a state finals, in that barn where swine and cows go to the bathroom straight onto the floor cannot be heathly.  Indiana must look like total hillbillies to people outside our state.  And why on the same weekend as the kids state finals?  We had a good thing going with greco state having its own weekend and a respectable venue.  I have know idea if the participants will plummet or not, but my gosh we can do better.

"Indiana must look like total hillbillies to people outside our state."

But the state tournament is closed to out of state wrestlers! LOL

[move][glow=red,2,300]Zing.......[/glow][/move]

I have shared your concerns, until I served on the board for 6 years.  If you have concerns I'm sure a board member will give you a ride to an ISWA board meeting.  If you knew what the board volunteers to put themselves thru to make it happen @ a pig farm you would be happy.  When you park the car and walk the mile to the barn find someone in an ISWA polo and thank them (or if you'd rather, pack up and move to Kentucky for a season).

Well..We have Wrestled all over the Country and in my opinion the State Fairgrounds is one of the best places to hold ISWA type events. The ability to spread out, here all the announcements and have a great view of the mats is better than anyplace I have been. The ISWA does a great job of planning these events and there isn't a better place in Indiana to hold a wrestling tournament where people need to spread out and where kids do not always take care of teh facilities. By the way the Fairgrounds holds all kinds of events and I am pretty sure the sanitation issue is really not a factor..they power wash and disinfect...Obviously a city boy that doesn't understand Agriculture and the facilities at the State Fairgrounds.

I believe some of it had to do with the fact of having cadet freestyle state a seperate week from junior freestyle state in case some kids wanted to wrestle both.  As well as ensuring that junior frestyle state and junior greco state remained seperate for those kids that wanted to concentrate on both styles as well.  In this new system the only ones main group that are really effect by the long grueling 2 days will be schoolboys and cadets who are wrestling both freestyle and greco.

I see pro's and con's to both the old and the new arrangement as far as the wrestlers go.    In terms of the Cow Barn unfortunately it is what it is.  I would love to see the freestyle/greco season extended 2-4 more weeks and have it there or at a different place.  But apparently since we get such a good deal on such a big place which apparently doesn't have any laters openings we keep going back to the State Fairgrounds every year.    I guess it could be worse though.  We could be in a super crowded and hot gym or hold Junior state just a few weeks into the freestyle season like we used to have.  At least he Cow Barn is roomy and somewhat comfortable to spend a long day in.  Though I wouldn't mind a better speaker system or some type of display screen so you would figure out mat assignments easier.

One major factor that got this format rolling is the economy.  The ISWA was trying to find ways to make our state tournaments more affordable for the wrestling families.  By putting both freestyle and greco states on the same weekend, families who wrestle both styles will only have to make one trip to Indy (gas, hotel, food, etc.)

Personally, I think this could really help our greco numbers.  People are already in town, so they might just decide to participate.  Also, I really happy that the juniors get their own state tournament again.  Junior state used to be a great tournament that was something special for a sometimes forgotten age group.  It also again opens up the opportunity for our better cadets to compete at junior state as well.

Jake Harreld

ISWA Cadet Director

It wasnt all that long ago freestyle state was held at a really nice facility/arena at Ball State- and by the end of the weekend the building was absolutely trashed by spectators and wrestlers.  It was shameful.  After that fiasco I pretty much felt the State Fairgrounds was a perfect venue considering the behavior of a number kids AND adults that grace the ISWA tourneys.

Let's not forget that livestock/agriculture is and has always been a large part of the Indiana economy!!!  So if you smell something odd, it might just be Indiana $$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!

Plus it's a good geographic location, easy in and out, and a good view of all the mats!!!

I can remember the old days when all the State Finals were held at the same location on the same day.  The Greco State meet was the next day.  Oh yes the great days in the Tech gym were special.  Having wrestling going on in two different gyms was always fun.  One year I wrestled in the first match of the tournament(due to having the largest weight class) at 8:00 am,  and thirteen matches later and at 2:30 am I wrestled the final match.  I came back the next morning and wrestled in the Greco State.  The ISWA has made major strides to improve the tournaments for all involved.  I think it is great that wrestlers today can wrestle in more than age group in the ISWA State tournament.

BCampbell I know you remember the good old days when all of us Clinton County boys would road trip it to Indy to the State meet.  We would all sit together so our moms could watch our stuff.  You think Coach Keel still has that old set of radio headphones he use to wear.  That was PRICELESS!!!!!!!

That was a GREAT haircut.  I see where your son is having a good season.  I hope he continues to have success.  So how is the world been treating you?  I got back out on the mat a few years back.  Man was it fun.  I hope to run into you soon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.