How much weight gained after an actual dual meet or tournament

poptart125

I wrestled 103 my freshman year, was naturally about 120, but the day after the season ended I spent the afternoon at an all you can eat buffet and wound up weighing just over 130 24 hours after the season ended. I should have weighed myself before going in to see how many pounds of food I got for $12.99.

for me I think it hurt me, maybe not up front, but in the long run for sure, by the time state series came in 2008 (my senior year), I was a little warn down I think, and my head wasn't in it as much

I have to agree with this 100%...I was cutting about 18-22 pounds a week after a Saturday event. I will be the first to admit it caught up towards the end of the season...on and off the mat.

Did cutting mass amounts of weight make anyone a better wrestler? 

Not a bit, I had to dehydrate so much I had a lot of muscle cramps and ended up with mono from cutting so much. I don't know anyone who did better cutting unless they would have had to face a Tsirtsis.

I have to agree with this 100%...I was cutting about 18-22 pounds a week after a Saturday event. I will be the first to admit it caught up towards the end of the season...on and off the mat.

I would say that this is also poor discipline on the coaches part too. I know I have it that my wrestlers have to be within 5 pounds when they come in on Monday.  There is no point to having a "yo-yo" diet, it will hurt you in the long run.

I would say that this is also poor discipline on the coaches part too. I know I have it that my wrestlers have to be within 5 pounds when they come in on Monday.  There is no point to having a "yo-yo" diet, it will hurt you in the long run.

Again, I will agree with this 100%. Now coaching I will not let my wrestlers do that type of diet either. Just one of the stupid things I decided to do in high school. Seemed smart at the time.

I'm just curious, but what is considered an insane amount of weight to cut these days?  For the purposes of this discussion, lets throw out the fact that there is a weight management program in place.  It's very easy for guys to get around this so the coaches can't really comment here because they have to "tow the party line" or risk getting their butt in a sling.  Also, don't say that it depends on body type.  I know that's a factor but there has to be an average that guys cut.  IMO it seems like 10 to 12 pounds is about the most a guy should cut.  Thoughts?

haha....i think if your not cutting weight your not working hard.....that is my philosophy.....im not even talking major weight small amounts make you work just a little harder to.....but anyways my last tournament  i wrestled in i wrestled 66kg (145.5) weighed in on a friday night saturday morning (11am) i stepped on the scale  and weighed 169.5....thats hard work...haha

Did cutting mass amounts of weight make anyone a better wrestler? 

I think it depends on the individual.  When I was a sophmore I started @ 195 lbs naturally, and wrestled 189.  By the first weekend in December I was making weight with little effort, but I was also struggling to finish off larger opponents.  After a long day at a tournament I told coach I was going down a weight.  I cut the weight (with the consultation of the coach and trainer) and I finished my season in the second round of semi-state with 20+ wins.  Would probably had a couple more if I hadn't drawn Rico  :D

In college I would routinely start the week 15-20 lbs above my weight class.  When you wrestle the upper weights I don't think carrying that kind of extra weight is that unusual.  I could easily drop 10 lbs of water in a good practice.  If you have to keep cutting hard and struggle over the whole season I think that is a problem.  I had to control the food more at the start of the season.  By January my workouts were intense enough to control my weight and I could eat normally for the most part.  In the beginning your body isn't in the shape it needs to be to drop the weight, so you control the calories.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.