What do you thnk of girls wrestling?

bushmandonna

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there is still no good reason for your argument, oldman.

If they CAN, then they SHOULD, what other argument is there to give?

The idea that somehow a boy is in a no-win situation makes no sense. It's a sporting event....

The fact that a boy has to wrestle a girl period, he will take some flack from at least one of his buddies for it... it's just life as we know it.

Then if he would happen to lose the match, you can just imagine what would happen.

I couldn't see his team carrying him around their shoulders for beating a girl (and I'm not talking about the extreme example of the girls on the college team, I'm talking in general).

As long as the girls and her parents know the risk, I see no point in changing anything that they are doing. I know my daughters coach does not change anything. He wants her to be ready to wrestle the best, so she wrestles the best that we have in practice. She is around 115 and most days in practice she is going against our bigger  guys most are around 165 and up. and she holds her own with them.

Hmmmm,  115lb girl wrestling 165lb boys (and up)  ....  got a feeling the boys are taking it easy on her ? 

My issue is not with girls wrestling at all. My issue is the so called equality that title 9 supposedly brought. Many top wrestling programs were dropped at major universities due to title 9. Now we should just let the girls take spots away from boys, when they already have more sports to choose from? Girls that did not play any sports in college can now go and play some sport at a small college and get a scholarship. Boys that have wrestled all of their lives can't do that.  I have seen some great female wrestlers in my time and wrestling can build character in a girl just as it does in a boy. They should just do it on their own team. Oh, they don't have their own team? There are many boys who play a sport, sing, dance, cheerlead, whatever, that can't do it because of title 9. Welcome to gender equality.

As long as the girls and her parents know the risk, I see no point in changing anything that they are doing. I know my daughters coach does not change anything. He wants her to be ready to wrestle the best, so she wrestles the best that we have in practice. She is around 115 and most days in practice she is going against our bigger  guys most are around 165 and up. and she holds her own with them.

Hmmmm,   115lb girl wrestling 165lb boys (and up)  ....   got a feeling the boys are taking it easy on her ? 

I have to second what groundhog said here.  115lb guys shouldn't be able to hold their own on a mat with 165lb guys, and if they do it's because the 165lb guy is a fish.  If weight wasn't a factor, we wouldn't have weight classes!

Hmmmm,   115lb girl wrestling 165lb boys (and up)  ....   got a feeling the boys are taking it easy on her ? 

I have to second what groundhog said here.  115lb guys shouldn't be able to hold their own on a mat with 165lb guys, and if they do it's because the 165lb guy is a fish.  If weight wasn't a factor, we wouldn't have weight classes!

i didn't say they didn't beat her I just said she could hold her own. They do beat her, and I know these boys and have for most of there lives and they will not just roll over and let her win. they give it there all. and they are not fish. they are good wrestlers.

She wrestles with the bigger guys in pracrice then when she gets on the mat guys her own size aren't as much of an issue.

My issue is not with girls wrestling at all. My issue is the so called equality that title 9 supposedly brought. Many top wrestling programs were dropped at major universities due to title 9. Now we should just let the girls take spots away from boys, when they already have more sports to choose from? Girls that did not play any sports in college can now go and play some sport at a small college and get a scholarship. Boys that have wrestled all of their lives can't do that.  I have seen some great female wrestlers in my time and wrestling can build character in a girl just as it does in a boy. They should just do it on their own team. Oh, they don't have their own team? There are many boys who play a sport, sing, dance, cheerlead, whatever, that can't do it because of title 9. Welcome to gender equality.

No one is happy about the effect Title 9 had on the number of college & HS programs.  But, is discouraging girls from wrestling the answer.  Where the girls currently participating in HS programs responsible for Title 9? 

Stub1 hit the nail right on the head.  Encourage them to take it serious, support their efforts so that we can INCREASE the number of programs.  ANY wrestling fan is a friend of mine.

This debate could last forever.  If  girls can compete then they should be able to compete.  The mat will take care of itself.  Coming from a psycho dad with no girls I can't uderstand why you would want your daughter to wrestle but the bottom line is the girls opponent has a bit to deal with.  Hey You Beat A Girl!  no love from the team or Man you just got beat by a girl NO REAL LOVE FROM THE TEAM.  If a girl wants to wrestle then let it happen and let the best person win

As far as Indiana High Scool wrestling goes once you hit the mat a wrestler is a wrestler gender should go out the door. As far as off the mat that's where parents and coaches come in.Like ya'll stated above if the young ladies don't get a shot now it may never happen.

i didn't say they didn't beat her I just said she could hold her own. They do beat her, and I know these boys and have for most of there lives and they will not just roll over and let her win. they give it there all. and they are not fish. they are good wrestlers.

She wrestles with the bigger guys in pracrice then when she gets on the mat guys her own size aren't as much of an issue.

No offense intended,  but I think you a little removed from reality.....  but hey,  best wishes for you this season !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.