What do you thnk of girls wrestling?

bushmandonna

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My senior year we had about 5 girls on our team, since and before then their hasnt been any

Our 103 pounder won over 20 somethings matches and was Indiana's first female sectional champion. 

And the best part was they made the season a whole lot better ;D

I think girls wrestling is a complete joke. Keep them off the mat.

What a nice, thought out statement. Very intelligent argument and you make very good points.

TripleB, could you caIl GS and READ the opinions of the federal government on equal opportunities for gender in sports stated so clearly in legislation commonly referred to as Title 9!!  Better yet, call your local AD and ask him  :-[  Like it or not, for the sake of the sport your AD's & coaches are doing their best to respond to parameters set by lawmakers.  The best 'we' can do is show respect and understanding the larger context.  Bashing the girls over concerns you have isn't going to help.  Let me be clear, I am not down playing the feelings you have that led you to say what you did, but expressing yourself so bluntly is going to do more harm than good.

I'm actually doing a school project on this topic right now. Personally i think girls should not be able to wrestle on the guys wrestling team. However if they had their own girls team i would have no problem with that as long as they are willing to train and compete as wrestlers should.

I'm actually doing a school project on this topic right now. Personally i think girls should not be able to wrestle on the guys wrestling team. However if they had their own girls team i would have no problem with that as long as they are willing to train and compete as wrestlers should.

Sammy, this is much better use of time than making comments like, "girls wrestling is a joke."  You should be applauded for the constructive effort.  I hope you send the project around when you are done.  I have the addresses of some congressman I would like to have you talk to.  This is the beauty of the board!  Wahoos for life from me.

The reason I posted this topic, is because my daughter is a wrestler. She is only in the 8th grade, but she puts in as much work as most of the guys, and more than others. She has gone to wrestling camp, and was the only girls there. The coaches that were there were very impressed with her. They thought she was very good. She puts her whole heart and body into the sport. We have had a couple of parents at our shcool that have a problem with it, but our coach has been wonderful. 

Wehave had other girls on our team in the past, and most were just a joke.  My feeling on the topic is that if the girlsouts the time and effort in, and is not just there to screw around with the boys  let them do it.

my daughter wants to wrestle like her big brother he is in high school and she is a fifth grader , i refuse to let her now if there were a girls team then i would with out a dought let her. the school my son goes to has a girl on the team and i suport her when she is on the mat and i always will, but dont agree with it . and at one meet we had the coaches son of the oposeing team forfit instead of wrestling her. i didnt agree with that eighther.

The perimeters set by the lawmakers on the federal level as well as the local level (IHSAA) is anything but "gender equity". When ALL ATHLETES, boys & girls, are permitted to participate in ALL SPORTS offfered by a school, then we will truly have gender equity. Until then, "equal opportunity"......"gender equity"..... is nothing but double standard lip-service.

Varsity IHSAA "Boys" sports girls are permitted to participate in:

Football....YES, Wrestling...YES, and most recently added, Baseball.....YES.

Varsity IHSAA "Girls" sports boys are permitted to participate in:

Volleyball..NO, Gymanastics....NO, Softball....NO.

The total # of IHSAA sports boys may participate in is 10. The total # of IHSAA sports girls may participate in is 13.

It seems that even the most liberal thinkers could see what we currently have by definition is certainly not "equal opportunity".

The perimeters set by the lawmakers on the federal level as well as the local level (IHSAA) is anything but "gender equity". When ALL ATHLETES, boys & girls, are permitted to participate in ALL SPORTS offfered by a school, then we will truly have gender equity. Until then, "equal opportunity"......"gender equity"..... is nothing but double standard lip-service.

Varsity IHSAA "Boys" sports girls are permitted to participate in:

Football....YES, Wrestling...YES, and most recently added, Baseball.....YES.

Varsity IHSAA "Girls" sports boys are permitted to participate in:

Volleyball..NO, Gymanastics....NO, Softball....NO.

The total # of IHSAA sports boys may participate in is 10. The total # of IHSAA sports girls may participate in is 13.

It seems that even the most liberal thinkers could see what we currently have by definition is certainly not "equal opportunity".

Anybody remember Trish Saunders, or Vicky Zummo?  The both won medals in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic games.  Trish actaully finished with a gold and her husband won a silver.  I bet they don't think it is a joke  :D

The legal conversations are great!  I just wish we had someone listening who had any power to change it.

Anybody remember Trish Saunders, or Vicky Zuma?  The both won medals in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic games.  Trish actaully finished with a gold and her husband won a silver.  I bet they don't think it is a joke  :D

The legal conversations are great!  I just wish we had someone listening who had any power to change it.

Women's Wrestling was not an Olympic sport until the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece. Although Trish and Vicki Zummo (note that correction as well) were successful female wrestlers, neither of them competed in the Olympic Games.

Anybody remember Trish Saunders, or Vicky Zuma?  The both won medals in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic games.  Trish actaully finished with a gold and her husband won a silver.  I bet they don't think it is a joke  :D

Women's Wrestling was not an Olympic sport until the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece. Although Trish and Vicki Zummo (note that correction as well) were successful female wrestlers, neither of them competed in the Olympic Games.

My bad, grecogramps...  All I really remember is that America had just won 5 Olympic gold medals before my own eyes, and I was a 19 year old kid hanging out with my two brothers while I was taking pictures with gorgeous woman who had WRESTLING MEDALS that THEY WON around their necks.  I was a kid facing the end of my college career soon and looking for another way to stay in the sport.  I eventually became a FS/GR ref and thanks to good peolpe like Andre, Louis, and Bob I made another 13 years in the sport that changed my life.  If wrestling did that for men like us, I wouldn't give it a second thought about signing up my little girl.

No, just checking something...  ??? ???  Kendle Cross won gold, Tim Brands won gold, Curt Angle won gold, Townsend Sanders won silver, and Bruce Bombgardner won bronze.  

Now, for the moral of the story...  If pointing out others' mistakes was an Olympic sport somebody would have brought home gold from Beijing ::)

I am the new Women's Director for the ISWA and I have seen all kinds of women's wrestling the past four years.  I have seen extremely good wrestlers who have well over 100+ wins in their HS career and I have seen some terrible women wrestling where they almost fall to straight to their backs.  Let me preface this by saying that I have seen national champ men wrestlers and I have seen men who almost fall straight to their backs.  My point is that the women need support and training to be great wrestlers, just like the guys.  I am in full support of having a seperate women's HS division for women, but that will not occur until we support all of the women and encourage them to continue to wrestle.  As these posts point out, there is mixed support out there.  As women's director, I don't expect anyone to treat the women any different and expect no less from them if the elect to wrestle on a mens team.  

Support and grow women's wrestling.  Trust me it's not going to go away.  The more support and participation there is, the more the women will compete and train together.  For those who don't want to wrestle women, why?  Most have wrestled for years and have been in every situation that you could put her in while wrestling.  Just support your women wrestlers, encourage them, show them the opportunities in women wrestling.  Most women wrestlers get involved the same way the men do, they have a father, brother, or cousin that wrestles.  Just treat them the same as you would anyone else on your team!

For more information about women's wrestling see iswa.com (women's wrestling information), usgwa.com, and themat.com (women)

No, just checking something...  ??? ???  Kendle Cross won gold, Tim Brands won gold, Curt Angle won gold, Townsend Sanders won silver, and Bruce Bombgardner won bronze.  

Now, for the moral of the story...  If pointing out others' mistakes was an Olympic sport somebody would have brought home gold from Beijing ::)

No, the moral of the story should be.....if one is making a point in a discssion then one should have their facts correct or one loses credibility

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.