Fort Wayne Semi-State Rankings **2/6**

Y2CJ41

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y2, here are a couple of matches that I've seen over the last few weeks:

103-Will Nelson-WN d. Ben Fiechter SW 6-2

119- Eckert (HN) still with two losses (Evans-Southwood, Butts-LC)

135-Darin Fiechter (SW) wrestled 135 all day, not sure where he has been the rest of the year, but I see you have him ranked at 130. Zink also beat Fiechter.

152: Jon Mahlan from Bellmont has beaten your #7 Smith, lost to your 145 #1 Sparks, beaten your #4 145 Schendel, lost to #5 Smith, lost to #6 160 in the New Castle SS, lost to #2 LaRowe twice,  #3 Timmerman, and #8 in the NC SS Taylor of LC. I know that is a lot of losses, but you don't have anybody at 8th, and he has beaten Grayson Smith, so I figured he probably deserves consideration there.

Benjamin lost 5-3 to Nelson of West Noble...Darin was beaten by Zink 6-4...he has been wrestling primarily 135, but is headed down to 130 soon...and plans to remain there.

At 160:

Possible addition is Francisco Garcia of Goshen.  He was seeded 8th going into the Al Smith and came one match from placing.  He lost 3-2 to the 8th placed kid from Jasper and a wild 13-11 decision to IndianaMat #8 Kunze.  He pinned all his other opponents in 2:28 or less.

Also, you currently have Adams of Jimtown ranked 7th.  Garcia and others maybe should be above him since he got pinned by Hoffer of East Noble at the Al Smith and only had a forfeit to his credit.  Hoffer was pinned in his other two matches at the Al Smith and Garcia and several others from the FW semi-state advanced further than either Hoffer or Adams.

I don't know much about the results of Garcia and Adams other than this except that Garcia had enough previous success to be seeded at the Al Smith and Adams did not.

Last year

Jay County - 25 state qualifiers

Goshen - 12 state qualifiers

Carroll - 11 state qualifiers

Peru- 8 state qualifiers, which was second worst of all the regionals in the state

Regionals

1 - Jay County, 25

2 - Castle, Pendelton Heights, 21

4 - Mooresville, Rochester, 17

6 - Laporte, Perry Meridian, 15

8 - Bloomington South, Calumet, Goshen, Logansport, 12

12 - Carroll, Northmont, 11

14 - Richmond, 9

15 - Peru, 8

16 - Jeffersonville, 6

Sectionals

1 - Lawrence Central, 14

2 - Delta, Mishawaka, 13

4 - Jay County, 12

5 -  Evansville Central, 11

6 - Castle, Crown Point, Lafayette Jeff, Mooresville, 10

10 - Elkhart Memorial, 9

11 - Carroll, Decatur Central, 8

13 - Avon, Hamilton Heights, Warren Central, Zionsville, 7

17 - Calumet, East Chicago Central, Jennings County, Northview, South Dearborn, 6

22 - Laporte, Oak Hill, 5

24 - Crawfordsville, Jeffersonville, Plymouth, 4

27 - New Haven, Peru, Shenandoah, Westview, 3

31 - Southridge, Twin Lakes, 2

Last year

Jay County - 25 state qualifiers

Goshen - 12 state qualifiers

Carroll - 11 state qualifiers

Peru- 8 state qualifiers, which was second worst of all the regionals in the state

Regionals

1 - Jay County, 25

2 - Castle, Pendelton Heights, 21

4 - Mooresville, Rochester, 17

6 - Laporte, Perry Meridian, 15

8 - Bloomington South, Calumet, Goshen, Logansport, 12

12 - Carroll, Northmont, 11

14 - Richmond, 9

15 - Peru, 8

16 - Jeffersonville, 6

Y2 perus not last  (semi state rankings has 13 wrestlers from peru regionals)and (3 in stste rankings)

Those are the results from semi-state last year.  Those are true results, not rankings.  Every year the other regionals squash the Peru regional.

then why do you have 13 wrestlers from this regional in your picks in the semi state rankings. are they starting to go to better meets and getting better competition. to my best knowledge there is not many wrestling clubs in this area, oak hill and Peru has one does any of the other schools in this region have a club ?

then why do you have 13 wrestlers from this regional in your picks in the semi state rankings. are they starting to go to better meets and getting better competition. to my best knowledge there is not many wrestling clubs in this area, oak hill and Peru has one does any of the other schools in this region have a club ?

I rank eight places, only four advance to state. 

I'm surprised you didn't try to use Peru regionals as your argument for class wrestling since the are full of 1 and 2 a schools  :o ;D

I don't think he was trying to argue for or against our sectional at all. Just stating the facts. Honestly, the worse part is, our area, as a whole, was stronger last year than this year. But give it a few more years. There are some very good club kids coming through a bunch of the schools in our area, if they stick with it and keep improving. Eastern, Western, Wabash, Peru, Huntington North, Oak Hill, Eastern, Northwestern, Maconaquah, Wabash County and Kokomo all have clubs. Most have popped up in the last 3-4 years, so give it time. But having a team that could win at the state, top to bottom, is unlikely, because we have to go to Ft. Wayne, Indy, or the region to get tougher compitition, so the cost is more for our kids.

At 160:

Possible addition is Francisco Garcia of Goshen.  He was seeded 8th going into the Al Smith and came one match from placing.  He lost 3-2 to the 8th placed kid from Jasper and a wild 13-11 decision to IndianaMat #8 Kunze.  He pinned all his other opponents in 2:28 or less.

Also, you currently have Adams of Jimtown ranked 7th.  Garcia and others maybe should be above Adams since he got pinned by Hoffer of East Noble at the Al Smith and only had a forfeit to his credit.  Hoffer was pinned in his other two matches at the Al Smith and Garcia and several others from the FW semi-state advanced further than either Hoffer or Adams.

I don't know much about the results of Garcia and Adams other than this except that Garcia had enough previous success to be seeded at the Al Smith and Adams did not.

Y2, sorry, I'm honestly just curious.  I have no stake in this at all.  I posted this before.  Who has Adams beaten that keeps him in the rankings above others?  Again, not trying to be difficult.  Just curious.

Tanner Adams went undefeated at the Penn Super Dual and went 3-2 at 160 at the Charger Invite.  Goshen's kids benefited from some very nice records at the Al Smith.

Garcia was also seeded above someone that beat 145lbs champion Alex Surma based strictly on his record.  Right now you have to take kids from Goshen's records with a grain of salt. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.