D1 College wrestlers by home state

NickS

Just a question to see where it goes. If we institute class wrestling, and we start sending more kids to the DI level, how will that affect the DII and D III schools that we have in the state.

My hypothisis is that since we are sending only a few of the studs to the DI programs, the majority of the other kids that would presumably be going to the DI schools in a class system, are the same kids that are populating the rosters of Wabash, Manchester, Trine, U of Indianapolis.

My assumption is that if these kids were good enough to go DI, the coaches would know that, and recruit them anyway. So we send more kids to populate the practice squad at more DI schools. It is a fairly safe assumption that they will not be varsity, since they are not being recruited heavily, atleast for the 1st 2-3 years. We will then in fact hurt the DII and DIII programs that we have in state that are preforming at a high level nationally, and are accepting our states high schools wrestlers and allowing them a place to wrestle that is usually much closer to home, and offers them an outstanding education in the process.

I guess what I would see happening would be the large school champs and multiple top 3/4 place winners would go D1 and wrestle varsity.  Small school champs and placers would wrestle more in the D2/D3 schools.  I could be wrong but that's what I would see taking place.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Y2 it would be the same as it currently is but probably worse.  People won't get recruited more  we because have more champs, there still the same wrestlers they were before class wrestling.  If you want your wrestlers to go to college and wrestle maybe you should seek out the colleges.  Plus maybe your wrestler just can't make the cut maybe there not good enough to wrestle college.  Thats nothing to be ashamed of FYI.  Your not going to fool the college system so don't try. 

Not all the top big school kids would be snagged by DI teams, there would still be plenty of those kids and lower big school placers for the DII and DIII schools to get.

Agreed.  Not all big school champs would go D1 but more than you see now, IMO. 

No offense to anyones opinions but i think our college wrestlers will start to go up no matter what we do in the next few years for the sole fact were very competitive right now and Indiana is producing some of the best wrestlers in the country.  It has been a while if ever since we have had the success we currently do and I am just excited for the future of indiana wrestling as the system is right now. 

Getting a little feisty are we?  I was just using the example you threw out there of Hamilton Heights.

Do you really think that the numbers would change dramatically if we had wrestle-backs?  Would small schools double their number of state qualifiers if there were wrestle-backs?  I would say the numbers would not change enough to make a difference.

So what is your reason for staying a single class state tournament? 

I think wrestle backs is the fairest thing to do and should be the number one priority over class wrestling. It's not fair that going to state can be decided by a good or bad semi-state draw. You can't compair wrestling to football because football is a sport where in game substitutes can determine the out come of the game. pluss it's not a 100% fact that we will get more college wrestlers. Also I dought that more kids will want to wrestle because of class wrestling. I could be wrong but if you interviewed the students that don't allready wrestle I dout that they would say class wrestling would cause them to wrestle. wrestling is about desire and not every kid can handle wrestling. you want to get more high school wrestlers try to start a youth program. This way they learn the basics early and build a desire to win. Also wrestling isn't for everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.