Wrestling ind vs team

manvswild1

Wrestling is an individual sport quit trying to class it for the coaches.  Cry all you want but no one besides coaches care more about the team then the individual.  As a wrestler I can tell you if I wrestled well and the team got beat by 40 points i still slept well that night.  I would imagine everyone is in the same boat besides coaches

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

manvswild1 you are missing the biggest picture.  If you care about the team side of wrestling, then you care about every person on the team.  If you leave it as individual, you only care about the few.  There is nothing better than a team state title.  Go ask schools like Mishawaka or Crown Point.  Ask them which titles they enjoy more, and I would put a ton of money on the fact that they are more proud of the team title.  In fact, go ask Josh Harper, one of our states best, which one he enjoyed more.  I'd put big money on the team title.

plus manvswild1, you must have attended a school with a poor team if you have that mentality.  Build the team first and individual success will follow.  And instead of only having one good individual, you will have lots of great individuals.

I would put money if he was 2nd in the state 4 times and had 4 team titles he'd trade all four team titles for one individual one.  That being said I think it is a good thing to have team state it shows who the best team in the state is and gives the season a sense of ending.  It also is a big day for those teams coaches.  If we class team state though it ruins the sports.  It would show how week the low teams are, how much more dominate matre dei is then any school its size, and everyone will wander if matre dei should be the rightfull owners of the crown.  If not matre Dei then another small school who has an excellent program.  Your systems solve nothing it creates conflict and doesn't have an actual champion.  Once again tournements like the al smith invite would be more prestigous for a team like matre dei then there class title.  Lets face it this system is great how it is.  If you want more questions then answers do it your way.

Great individuals build great teams in wrestling two bad wrestlers can't produce a great wrestler but a bad wrestler and a greta wrestler can.  Your usually only as good as your competition.  Look at any good wrestler on a bad program ryan pribble from turkey run helped produce another turkey run stater at arround the same weight.  Thats why teams are good in areas and not on a whole individuals make the sport and individuals greaten the sport.  Its equal how it is 14 wrestlers 14 weights.

I would have to say you have to have individual success to have team success, When I was in high school All we thought about is the individual side of it after coaching you look at it from a team aspect. If you have the means of putting together a good team you would want a team state title ,but if you are a school like Indian Creek that has 3 or 4 great wrestlers but you still know, no team title is in you're future you got to get those kids that are putting in the work there state title.

It's sad to see so many people putting more weight on an individual title.  If that is the case, then your coaches aren't doing their jobs.  Your coach is there to build a great program.  Great programs aren't made up of 3 or 4 great wrestlers.  They are made up of teams of them.  Do your job for everyone and don't just focus on a few individuals. 

Yeah but what generates more attention 4 guys going to state or the team having an .800 record.  Be honest with yourself.  More attention usually means more community envolvement which means more wrestlers which means better teams.

You think these great teams just pop out of no where?  Great individuals started every great team.  Maybe its one guy who made it to  state and got two more guys out and one of them made it.  After the ball gets rolling great teams get made.  If everyone is bad no one comes out for the team if teams can get a few staters numbers go up.  When numbers go up more oportunities for staters.

Tell me a school that gets four kids to state on a regular basis that doesn't have a great "Team."  Think about that!

dont boo me hereas this was before my time but how good was griffith with angel andre and tsirtsis, you can even throw jose in too. i remember my freshman year we won 8 or 9 matches against them and lost the dual by a point due to angel, andre, jose, and alex pinning and a couple other wins.  were they a great team?

Where do you see college wrestling in 20 years?

"My optimistic outlook foresees the number of Division I programs staying around 85.  I believe that we will continue to see a growth of programs at the Division II and Division III levels.  It is my hope that the NCAA will eventually sanction a dual meet championship and that will help re-energize the regular season. If wrestling has a chance to reach a broader fan base it will be through the dual meet format"

I copied Brad Traviolia's comments because as much as I love the individual part of wrestling I understand that the team aspect is what will cause more growth in wrestling.  If we keep the individual tournament and add class in the team in my opinion you will see it have a greater impact on small communities.  As I have stated before the small communities follow their local athletics much more then the large schools in many cases. 

Listen to what Reece says about his team.  What do you think his reply to this question would be?  As a wrestler, there were times that I was absolutly sick when my teammates would lose.  There were times when I was such a nervous wreck that I couldn't watch them wrestle.  They were my teammates, my workout partners and my friends.  They pushed me, encouraged me, challenged me and comforted me.  Wrestling is a team sport, I don't care what you say, it's very difficult for an individual to succeed in this sport by themselves. 

absolutly agree but one great individual can make 14 good individuals by practicing with them.  Where as 14 bad individuals make 14 bad wrestlers.  Your only as good as your compition.  Thats why good individuals can start great programs.  Sounds like the typical answer to someone asking about teams its the political answer.  You can tell he was brought up right though.

Tell me a school that gets four kids to state on a regular basis that doesn't have a great "Team."  Think about that!

dont boo me hereas this was before my time but how good was griffith with angel andre and tsirtsis, you can even throw jose in too. i remember my freshman year we won 8 or 9 matches against them and lost the dual by a point due to angel, andre, jose, and alex pinning and a couple other wins.  were they a great team?

How is Griffith these days?  Are they having success now since those four paved the way?

They should be but as I have stated before its all about the community if I remember right there has been big clubs up in that area that do mighty fine in state now a days and I would say that this group of kids probably were trained within those clubs. 

There is no way 1 great individual can make 14 good kids on a team.  First off, it's not his job, it's his coaches, and second off, a great 103 can't help the heavy get better.  I will agree that a great individual can help the people around him, but how can you not pull for the team.  You don't build a team through individuals, you lose the other kids because they think the coach is playing favorites.  What are the schools that year in and year out have kids down at state?

Crown Point

Mishawaka

Cathedral

Bellmont

Perry

Merrillville

Lawrence North

What do these programs strive for?  Team Titles!  Sure they love every individual champ they get, but a team title is what they want for their program and their community.  I have heard Coach Tonte talk about how he has built his whole program around winning a team title.  From Elementary on up.  I wonder why they have success year in and year out?

And the wrestlers would tell you i want an individual title more then anything. 

You obviously haven't talked to any of these teams wrestlers.  I would put big money that they would easily trade an individual title for a team title. 

Well maybe our program doesn't have the community behind it yet but we will get it and have success for year to come.  The votes still say its an individual thing but maybe the focus will be shifted a lil more to a team thing if the successful programs do it. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.