ESPN analyst with Wisconsin coach during Howe's Championship Match

TCboiler

I would've loved it a tad more if there wasn't a microphone jammed in his face.  I would've liked to have seen all the coaches in the finals mic'd (the miniaturized ones that you can hide in your shirt or something).  That would've been cool to listen in on.

I heard this story second hand so take it for what it's worth....

In the late 80's a guy takes his Mom and Dad to an Iowa match. There is a guy on the Iowa bench doing all kinds of crazy stuff during the match....twisting...turning...jumping up and down...looking like he's wrestling the match himself. The guy's Mom says to him something like "That's nice of Gable to let that mentaly handicaped man sit on the bench with the team."

The guy then looks at his Mom and says...."Um, that's Barry Davis. He's an assistant coach.

I would've loved it a tad more if there wasn't a microphone jammed in his face.  I would've liked to have seen all the coaches in the finals mic'd (the miniaturized ones that you can hide in your shirt or something).  That would've been cool to listen in on.

Yah...that wouldn't be a good idea during a live broadcast.

Isn't that the way most coaches are?  I am on the edge of my seat every match personally.  Sometimes I am stretched on the floor.  I try to give every once of energy I have for our kids out there on the mat.  There are some very calm coaches  who very seldom rasie their voice.  There are some who talk through every move on the mat.  Then there are some like Barry, who have an extreme passion for the sport in the way his coaching style is.  I think having a mic on the collar of his shirt would have been nice rather than the large cucumber but it gave the audience a look of what is going through a coaches head while a wrestling match is going on.  It takes a special breed...... 8)

Yah...that wouldn't be a good idea during a live broadcast.

Although it says live, I think it's still ran on a 5 second delay or whatever just in case something does happen (example:  that Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake Super Bowl incident).  Also, you don't have to catch a coach in a 2-3 minute rant like with Barry Davis.  It could be like how the NBA does it and just show a 5-10 second skit with the coach.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.