Howe's wrestling style

Alduflux

I noticed on themat that lots of people refer to Howe as being boring to watch.  The announcers even mentioned him being limited on offense.  Is that how people really think of him or is it just a byproduct of wrestling Moriningstar?

Also, what kind of Olympic potential does Howe have?  Is London a possibility?

People say the same thing about Varner and Dustin Schlatter. Andrew wins by being almost impossible to score against. He's not a staller, he's just very methodical. He's looking to join Teyon Ware and Schlatter as the only true freshmen to win NCAA titles the past 10 years.

I agree.  Howe is definitetly not limited on offense, his takedown defense is just so far ahead of most true freshman that he uses it to his advantage. 

good interview. great demeanor, nothing shakes him. congrats to Andrew and best of luck, take the GOLD. by the way he is very fun to watch imo. he will only get better and more explosive and he gets older. he has the patientce to not throw crazy moves since he knows he can wear down his opponents.

Howe definately pushed the pace in his final match.  I do not know how that other guy did not get warned for stalling in the 1st or 2nd period.  I think people have only seen him wrestle M* on TV and they think he wrestles every match like that, but in reality it is M* who makes everyone look like a passive wrestler.

I noticed on themat that lots of people refer to Howe as being boring to watch.  The announcers even mentioned him being limited on offense.  Is that how people really think of him or is it just a byproduct of wrestling Moriningstar?

The thing is with Howe, and this is just by watching the limited matches that I've seen from him (high school and college).  He's a very bruising, brawler type of wrestler.  It looks as if he'd much rather just pound and wear on you than put points up.  Not trying to be negative, just making an observation.  He doesn't have a wide range of attacks from what I've seen.  But what he does have, he does very very well and rarely is ever out of position.  These could be reasons why he appears limited offensively.

Howe definately pushed the pace in his final match.  I do not know how that other guy did not get warned for stalling in the 1st or 2nd period.  I think people have only seen him wrestle M* on TV and they think he wrestles every match like that, but in reality it is M* who makes everyone look like a passive wrestler.

there should def. been stalling called on king.  he was running away the last whole minute, protecting his lead.  this match deserved to go to o.t.

Howe isn't very tall or long limbed and it does affect what kind of offense he can successfully initiate. Although I'm sure he is very disappointed right now, 2nd place in a stacked weight as a true freshman (or even a redshirt senior, for that matter) is a rare and amazing accomplishment.

The thing is with Howe, and this is just by watching the limited matches that I've seen from him (high school and college).  He's a very bruising, brawler type of wrestler.  It looks as if he'd much rather just pound and wear on you than put points up.  Not trying to be negative, just making an observation.  He doesn't have a wide range of attacks from what I've seen.  But what he does have, he does very very well and rarely is ever out of position.  These could be reasons why he appears limited offensively.

I agree.  When you play the "you can't take me down game" you play w/ fire.  Unfortunately this time, Howe got burned.  I believe there shoudl've been a stalling in the second period, but unfortunately, that didn't happen.  That's ok...He will end up a 4 time finalist I think.  He makes me proud to be from Indiana.

I can't remember the last time I was so upset with an official. The obligatory stall call with 8 seconds to go was a complete and utter joke! I would have rather the official NOT call stalling at all, that way he would have been consistent. There was nothing different from period 1, 2, or the final 8 seconds...why call stalling then? That official will feel like crap after he watches the tape...as well he should. Andrew came forward for 3 periods and one stall call with 8 seconds to go! Give me a break...I haven't yelled at the T.V. for a long time but I was going off on that one! (Yes, I am biased, I admit)

This is the NCAA finals and you could see how disgusted Andrew was after the match...

I have seen Andrew wrestle since before he entered high school and for anyone to believe that he is "boring' should look at his competition and see if it is "their" style that is slowing things down...the point about Andrew scoring takedowns leading up to the Morningstar match was a good one, Andrew has tremendous offense but its mighty difficult when a guy is backing up, blocking, and STALLING.

It is the responsibility of the OFFICIAL to recognize this and act on it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.