11 hrs of NCAA Tournament on ESPN Network

On a similar note, I was excited to sit and watch the Team State finals between CP and PM on comcast last night. Now just if we could get some primetime coverage.

The biggest obstacle for wrestling is its not very TV friendly.  In other sports you have numerous time-outs and game stoppages that they can take TV time-outs for to show commercials.  In wrestling you don't take time-outs for commercials between periods or during injury/blood time-outs.  That hurts wrestling because in order to show it on TV the TV station needs to garner some $$$$ through commercials and advertising.  ESPN has done a tremendous job of broadcasting the NCAAs the past three years along with the Big 10 network.

I can't wait until next week, the NCAAs are always a great time.  Of course with a crew like Hungus, RankingsGuy and myself going, there are bound to be a story or two or misadventure!

It is also hurt by many viewers not understanding the sport as a whole. Many will watch wrestling and see a match with no scoring as a waste of time. When wrestling fans see the hand-fighting, line wrestling, scrambles, riding, etc as worth the price of admission, while others are changing the channel. Hopefully ESPN continues to honor their commitment as the true leaders in sports coverage and keep wrestling on while including more every year.

PS I hope you get a paper cut from your passes Y2! !jealous-face >:(!

The biggest obstacle for wrestling is its not very TV friendly.  In other sports you have numerous time-outs and game stoppages that they can take TV time-outs for to show commercials.  In wrestling you don't take time-outs for commercials between periods or during injury/blood time-outs.  That hurts wrestling because in order to show it on TV the TV station needs to garner some $$$$ through commercials and advertising.  ESPN has done a tremendous job of broadcasting the NCAAs the past three years along with the Big 10 network.

I can't wait until next week, the NCAAs are always a great time.  Of course with a crew like Hungus, RankingsGuy and myself going, there are bound to be a story or two or misadventure!

Being a media teacher, I can tell you that there are ways around not having commercials and still being able to advertise.  Soccer runs into the same problem, but soccer is on TV all the time.  (In Europe moreso than here, but it's on here too.)

Being a media teacher, I can tell you that there are ways around not having commercials and still being able to advertise.  Soccer runs into the same problem, but soccer is on TV all the time.  (In Europe moreso than here, but it's on here too.)

Excellent point. Maybe it comes down to people assuming wrestling won't get as many viewers so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm just happy they're covering it more on TV, I can only hope it builds some momentum and I can start watching all the major matches instead of seeing more and more of that OTHER sport on during the winter.

The article mentions that the two referees will have live microphones.  That could be really interesting, although not sure how it might get in the way of the color commentating.  It's good to see that ESPN is attempting some innovation, though, to liven up the broadcast and make it more engaging for their average viewers.

The article mentions that the two referees will have live microphones.  That could be really interesting, although not sure how it might get in the way of the color commentating.  It's good to see that ESPN is attempting some innovation, though, to liven up the broadcast and make it more engaging for their average viewers.

I have seen a broadcast where they had done that before and mostly you'd hear the ref telling them to pick up the action.  Then the commentators would explain stalling warnings and penalty points.  But it was pretty cool

Personally, I'd rather have the head coaches mic'd not the refs.  It'd be cool hearing Brands, Smith, or whomever yelling out instructions or letting the ref have it.  With the refs all you get is, "lets pick up the pace" or something to that regard.

It looks as if the quarter finals will be on at 11AM on Friday on ESPN U.  The semis on friday at 7PM on ESPN U.  The finals should be on at 6:30 PM on ESPN.  This is how they were set up last year atleast.  They are scheduled to be on at this time again so I will guess its this way again.  Something is on at 10:30 Saturday morning as well on ESPN U.  So my rounds may be off a little bit but I am goin to guess those 4 times are not going to be reruns, they should be live.  Hopeflly someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Do I see an opening for "Indianamat.com" singlets, head gear and body tatoos?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.