MATCH OF THE YEAR

jacobmudd

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean i know he was shocked.... but what was mcginley complaining about on that pin call..... you couldn't have slid a piece of paper underneath either of those shoulders...... they were both planted firmly on the mat

Best matches of the night by far were

The entire Wright vs Eppert match.  And series of matches over the last few years for that matter.

The last period of Young vs McGinley.  Just crazy what happened in a matter of a few seconds.

The first 15 second of Chalfant vs White.  He got that place going with the big first move.  To bad the rest of the match really wasn't that energetic. 

The entire Wright vs Eppert match.  And series of matches over the last few years for that matter.

yes, seeing potentially dangerous after potentially dangerous for a whole period is extremely exciting. The match was not overly exciting, and there was not a ton of action in that match. Infact, I would be willing to say there was more action in the 285 match than their match

Best matches of the night by far were

The last period of Young vs McGinley.  Just crazy what happened in a matter of a few seconds.

The first 15 second of Chalfant vs White.  He got that place going with the big first move.  To bad the rest of the match really wasn't that energetic. 

How bout Kieffer vs. Hawkins? That was at least top three for me. Probably top two with Young/Mcginley

yes, seeing potentially dangerous after potentially dangerous for a whole period is extremely exciting. The match was not overly exciting, and there was not a ton of action in that match. Infact, I would be willing to say there was more action in the 285 match than their match

Something should be done about that rule. Not say the potentially dangerous is wrong, but every kid in the state knows if a leg rider is working their offense and they stand up then it stops. Not really fair to the top wrestler.  I didn't like that Eppert gets called for stalling because Wright stands up.  If the top wrestler jumps on top of a guy it understandable but if the top man has his legs in before the other guy stands up, it shouldn't be stalling on the top man.

Just my thought

"Something should be done about that rule. Not say the potentially dangerous is wrong, but every kid in the state knows if a leg rider is working their offense and they stand up then it stops. Not really fair to the top wrestler.  I didn't like that Eppert gets called for stalling because Wright stands up.  If the top wrestler jumps on top of a guy it understandable but if the top man has his legs in before the other guy stands up, it shouldn't be stalling on the top man."

Just my thought

You said it right there... leg rider.  If he is riding he is stalling.  Why penalize the bottom guy for trying to get away.  What attempt at scoring did the "leg rider" do?

"Something should be done about that rule. Not say the potentially dangerous is wrong, but every kid in the state knows if a leg rider is working their offense and they stand up then it stops. Not really fair to the top wrestler.  I didn't like that Eppert gets called for stalling because Wright stands up.  If the top wrestler jumps on top of a guy it understandable but if the top man has his legs in before the other guy stands up, it shouldn't be stalling on the top man."

Just my thought

You said it right there... leg rider.  If he is riding he is stalling.  Why penalize the bottom guy for trying to get away.  What attempt at scoring did the "leg rider" do?

When did he get the chance to score. Everytime he started to work his offense Wright stood up and the match was stopped. 

actually i think it was more like eppert had 1 leg in, wright stood up so instead of taking the leg out to take wright back down to the mat, eppert threw in the other leg so the match was stoped. I think the warning eppert received was fair and just, and he probably should have gotten another for using the legs to stop the match.

Now the stalling call eppert got to give wright the 1 point was completely bogus, wright was either beginning a standup or sit out and eppert was atempting to break him down to the mat. Either way, it was a good match, but far from the match of the night and even further from the match of the year

When did he get the chance to score. Everytime he started to work his offense Wright stood up and the match was stopped. 

I agree.  From my perspective Eppert had both legs in and Wright would put them in a stalemate position.  Not the other way around.

How does the rule to warn the top wrestler in this situation work together with this rule:

"5-25-6c NEW; 7-6-6c NEW: Referees now have rules support for a stalling call against a wrestler who repeatedly creates a stalemate situation to simply prevent his/her opponent from scoring and not from his/her own attempt to score."

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2008/09/200809_nfhs_wrestling_rules_cha.aspx

The other thing is that it happened probably 3 more times during the match after the warning but was never called again.  Did the referree change his mind about the situation?

I mean i know he was shocked.... but what was mcginley complaining about on that pin call..... you couldn't have slid a piece of paper underneath either of those shoulders...... they were both planted firmly on the mat

He did not complain whatsover... disappointed, yes, but he handled himself very well, as all Cathedral wrestlers do whether they win or lose. Good luck next Saturday!

In my opinion Wright was creating the position leading to the stoppage of the match.  When Eppert was putting the legs in automatically Wrightwould stand up.  When Eppert got the stalling call I think he was afraid he'd get another, and limited his leg usage.  That just takes away from what Eppert can do on top, I was surprised he still held him down.  I feel like the official knew it was an unfair call because when it happened again he didn't hit him for stalling.  Where is the consistency in that?  If the official has second thoughts, the call should not have been made in the first place.

As for the second stalling call that resulted in a point, let the kids wrestle...  He was working up, it is hard sometimes to work up when the other wrestler as trying to prevent you from working up.  Give them a little more time.

EDIT:  Edited for my typo of McGinley when I knew it was Wright. Late night!

In my opinion McGinley was creating the position leading to the stoppage of the match.  When Eppert was putting the legs in automatically McGinley would stand up.  When Eppert got the stalling call I think he was afraid he'd get another, and limited his leg usage.  That just takes away from what Eppert can do on top, I was surprised he still held him down.  I feel like the official knew it was an unfair call because when it happened again he didn't hit him for stalling.  Where is the consistency in that?  If the official has second thoughts, the call should not have been made in the first place.

As for the second stalling call that resulted in a point, let the kids wrestle...  He was working up, it is hard sometimes to work up when the other wrestler as trying to prevent you from working up.  Give them a little more time.

Eppert wrestled Wright

There was alot of great wrestling this weekend. I thought Norton and Porras was a good match. To be real honest I thought Norton looked good this weekend I was disappointed that him and Harper didn't wrestle for the 3rd and 4th placing. I thought that would've been a good match. I was equally impressed with Egolf who placed 5th beating Cook convincingly with a broken finger. Great job to both of them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.